This is NOT a Concealed Carry Gun

This is a discussion on This is NOT a Concealed Carry Gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While I was in Georgia I did more than just shoot with Arthur. I bought a new (to me) pistol and as the title says ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is NOT a Concealed Carry Gun

VIP Member

This is NOT a Concealed Carry Gun

While I was in Georgia I did more than just shoot with Arthur. I bought a new (to me) pistol and as the title says this is NOT a conceal carry gun.

This is a Smith & Wesson model 1066 10mm pistol. I guess some folks might be able to conceal it, but I would look like Leslie Nielson in Naked Gun if I ever had to pull it. Well maybe not that bad.

The pistol is a pleasure to shoot. The recoil is very manageable and although the pistol is heavy it is well balanced. I'll be shooting it some more this weekend and I'll give my wife a chance to show me how it is really supposed to shoot. I'll post a more in depth report then.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Looks like a BBQ Gun. lol Man she's pretty!!!!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

nice photos George.... Now...if only S&W could make it the next size smaller and maintain that balance and handling in a 10mm !

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artz
    nice photos George.... Now...if only S&W could make it the next size smaller and maintain that balance and handling in a 10mm !
    Doesn't look like that's going to happen, especially since they have discontinued all their 10mm line. Like you I think one about the weight of the 439 would be nice. The SIG P239 size would be a great concealable size. It would probably have to have steel frame though. It would have to be heavier than the P239. Maybe we can convince SIG to do it - yeah, right.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Nice buy. I have a 1076 investment piece.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

1943 - 2009
    George,

What do you mean, not a concealed carry piece? The Feebs (oh, sorry, the FBI) carried the virtually identical Model 1076 in the early 90s.

Very nice pistola. Congrats for a great find!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Administrator

Thumbs up

Sweet looking firearm George. Congrats on getting it.
    Looks like it's in super nice condition too.
    Shoot it in good health!

The 10mm you have there is a nice looking weapon. I need to find an ocassional deal like that.

VIP Member
    Heck, I'd carry it! Wanna see? Send it too me and I'll show you!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Assistant Administrator
    Nice George.

Tho I have resisted .40 and 10mm all this time - let me be totally magnanimous and offer that gun a home should you find you ''tire'' of it
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Nice looking weapon George. Never fired a 10!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Chris, I had a .40 cal and got rid of it. This is not in the same league with a .40. I had never really thought about it, but the 10mm round looks more like a revolver round than a pistol round. It packs a wallop and yet in the 1066 seems as tame as 9mm. People who've never seen a comparison will say why not there's only one silly little millimeter difference. That's in diameter. The 10mm brass is almost 1 inch long, the 9mm almost 3/4 inch. There is a quarter inch difference in the length of the case. My practice 9mm rounds have a 115 or 124 grain projectile. My practice 10mm are 180 grain projectiles.

The .357SIG is still my caliber of choice. I appreciate the speed and hitting power, but if there was a 10mm in a pistol about the size of my P239 SIG I would be tempted to change my mind.

Now to keep the wolves away from my door I'll admit that I still like the 1911 with a 230 grain bullet. I don't have one yet and its been a while since I have fired one. A while is a euphemism for over 30 years. I fired Artz Para LDA which felt much like a 1911, but does not have quite the same feel. I have my sights on one and will probably have one before the end of the year. Even so, I still think that the thing that makes the 1911 such a great pistol is not the round nor the mechanism, but the feel of the pistol. It really does feel like and extension to your arm after a few rounds and the feeling never goes away. I can go in a gun shop or go to a gun show and pick up a full size 1911 and it is like it belongs in my hand. That feeling does not come when I pick up my carry weapon and I handle it every day.
    George

erh

Cool Your Non-Concealment Pistola...

dr_cmg - It's an obvious burden to you; I'll be glad to send you the UPS label so you can send it back here to Georgia; don't you "Fret..!" (LOL..!) Incidentally, I forgot what I meant to say to begin with... "Really Very Nice..!"
    Last edited by erh; August 10th, 2006 at 06:44 PM.
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

VIP Member
    Guys, I know that you are really trying to help, but you need to remember that I don't have to carry concealed around the house. Any BGs lurking out there might want to remember that.

It came with a nice leather Safari paddle holster. It rides right up under my arm with that. I could hide it with no problem, but I would drift to the right when walking.

I can hardly wait to get to the range and let Leah have a go at it. The weight might be a problem, but I doubt it. I expect to see one of those 2.5 inch groups out of her. I may have to change from saying, "Yes, ma'am." to saluting.
    George

Very nice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links