Springfield Armory XD45acp Service vs. Tactical

This is a discussion on Springfield Armory XD45acp Service vs. Tactical within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can anyone help me make a decision between the SA XD45acp Service and Tactical models for home defense? I got to try 5 rounds on ...

Thread: Springfield Armory XD45acp Service vs. Tactical

Can anyone help me make a decision between the SA XD45acp Service and Tactical models for home defense? I got to try 5 rounds on one of them a couple months ago at a shooting fair (I'm kicking myself for not trying more.. but at that time I didn't have it narrowed down to these two choices.. and I didn't even take note of which XD45 it was.. doh). I just remember it was a great handling pistol. Now I called around to see which ranges rent them and I only found one that rents the Service model. Planning to rent it this weekend to examine it more closely this time. But, the problem is i'll only be able to test the Service model.

Can someone who's familiar with both give a comparison of the two? I'm guessing the Tactical would have less felt recoil and should be more accurate. But, there's a review in one of the latest mags with stats on the reviewer's groupings. From looking at his numbers, the Tactical actually had larger groups! Any thoughts?

Lead Moderator
    I don't think you will experience much diffrence. I have shot a service some, but not a tactical. Seems like a good gun. I'm sure some XD owner will be along in a while to enlighten you more.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Just read a review in Handguns magazine. Says that the Tactical has more recoil because there's "more mass going back and forth." Is this correct? I always thought it was the reverse.. that lighter guns have more recoil.

Talking My XD45

I recently purchased the XD45 Service model and could not be happier. Surprisingly the recoil is not to tough to handle. I have not shot the tacticle but I would imagine that either one would work if you were just using it for home defense. If you were going to carry it like I do get the service model.

I own the tactical and am also very happy with it. I went with the 5" mainly for added velocity from the 45ACP cartridge as well as a longer sight radius.

My XD with his friends Mr. G22 and Mr. P11:

I've shot several examples of both and I prefer the Tactical due to the longer site radius.

If you're going to carry, go for the service, otherwise get the tactical.

You won't be disappointed with either.
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

Home def. only I would go tac. Carry service. I have both and never had a prob.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I carry the Tac. I have shot both. Flip a coin and be happy either way.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    You will be happy either way. For HD though I would get the Tactical for its longer sight radius. If you plan on carrying it though, go with the service.
    Fear No Evil.

Thanks everyone! Your input helped me out a lot. I'll most likely go with the Tactical, since this one's for HD. I don't think I can carry the Service b/c I'm on the smaller side, unless maybe it's in a waist pack holster...
    Last edited by xeero; August 11th, 2006 at 02:15 AM.

I own five XD's, including both the Tactical and Service .45's. Here is my take: there isn't a noticeable difference in accuracy between the two. I think the Service has a slightly more balanced feel to it and the Tactical is quicker on target for follow up shots. I like the way a Tactical looks with a light mounted on it versus a Service model, but that is based purely on aesthetics, not funtion. I love them both, and will probably never sell any of my XD's.

I have the tactical. I went with it because thats what they had at the gun shop and the price was very reasonable so I snaped it up. Recoil seems pretty much on par with my .40 cal ruger p-94. Size was never really an issue for me since I don't really intend to carry it. It really likes the 185 gr golden sabres.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Grip size are the same on them so personaly i would go with the tactical 5" for the sight radious myself since they should conceal about the same ( the butt length and width is usualy the problem area on concealment )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Sponsored Links