+P ammo and gun wear question?? - Page 2

+P ammo and gun wear question??

This is a discussion on +P ammo and gun wear question?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Reading how reliable someone other person's gun is, is no substitute for insuring your gun is reliable....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: +P ammo and gun wear question??

Reading how reliable someone other person's gun is, is no substitute for insuring your gun is reliable.

I'm curious here...

Do you also apply your limited testing mentality to training as well, or is that something that should be approached with greater care?

I mean, is Mas Ayoob off his rocker for doing 20 or 40 hour classes with a 500 round requirement, when an hour of classroom lecture and 50 rounds would probably suffice in what appears to be your view?

I feed my gun the SD ammo I am going to carry within the 200 round mark where ( suppose to be a breakin period and it should not function as well as after break in) then after this period it should function even better : nuff said :
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    I feed my gun the SD ammo I am going to carry within the 200 round mark where ( suppose to be a breakin period and it should not function as well as after break in) then after this period it should function even better : nuff said :
    I am not even sure what your trying to get across, as I can hardly decipher your post.

I think what your trying to say is that after the 200 round break in period your gun should be good to go? The 200 hundred round break in period that most manufacturers advice is simply to make sure the gun is generally reliable and functions as it should, and of course, to "break" the gun in. Which is the same as you do a brand new motorcycle or any other high performance machine. SD ammo is different though in the sense that there are many different designs that might hinder reliable feeding. I have seen guns that have never ever had a problem with any ammo have trouble with Hornady CD because the red rubber tip catches the ramp, and I have seen Golden Sabers that catch on certain ramps due to the odd overlapping jacket design it has, you just never know. It can get expensive, no doubt, but pick a good round and then spend the 60-70 bucks to buy three boxes and go shoot two of them.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    In order to see really noticeable wear, you would have to shoot so much +P that you could probably afford to have duplicate guns anyway. For the rest of us who can only afford a few boxes of the good stuff a year to do a function check, have carry ammo, and practice/replace the carry ammo once or twice a year, you shouldn't see noticeable wear over the life of any quality gun, I would think. 100-200 rounds of +P ammo a year should not be something to worry about.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I do not remember the page but my "owners manual" for my Ruger Mark111 target model specifies not to use CCI Stinger Ammo. I had a conversation back a few months ago about this and Ruger said "read the manual". No Yellow Jackets or any "hyper velocity" ammo is reccommended.

If Stinger or "hyper" velocity ammo is not good for a Ruger 22/45 maybe the guns we are buying are less than what they should be. By the way my Ruger 10/22 is alergic to "hyper" velocity ammo also. Says something about my Ruger collection.

I know what you are thinking........"why buy hyper velocity ammo for a .22" ? Well why buy +P ammo for your .38's ?

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    In my case I have the p238 and it doesn't specify that +P ammo is ok to shoot.
    what .380 +P ammo are you shooting?

I would like to try buffalo bore but need to make sure no damage whatsoever (even minimal) to my baby
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

You can't positively know that even with standard pressure ammo.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Administrator
    Well, much depends on the inherent strength of the specific firearm and also just how "PLUS" the +P is.

As I have said before in .45 acp the .45 acp cartridge case is comparatively thin walled and so .45acp +P & +P+ can only ever get so HOT before case walls start splitting on extraction.
    SO...personally I think that a Colt .45 can handle +P & +P+ all day long as long as the barrel link & lower lugs are not bearing on the slide stop pin and the recoil spring is either replaced more often or a heavier than standard recoil spring is installed.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Buy a quality weapon and it will eat +p & +p+ without problems.

Glock, H&K, SIG, Colt and S&W will not have issues.

When Federal BPLE was cheap, I used to go through that stuff really fast. No issues with Glocks.
    Was cheap? Its still is. $17 for 50 rounds per box for great HP ammo is cheap in my book. With that being said, I read in one forum that those +p+ were cracking the frame on some 3rd gen Smith and Wesson used by a police department when they shot it during their monthly shoots. Don't know how true that is though.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

confused... +p

I hate to make an A$$ out of myself but I am getting very confused. I was told in my hand gun safety classes that plus P and +p+ ammo can only be used in guns rated for (and stamped for) them. So without starting an argument, I have a Kahr cw9 for CC purposes and a XD9 for home defense. Can +p safety be fired from these guns and does it really make a difference?

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I've seen semi-auto handguns shot with +P+ ammo, for which they were not designed, and the guns cycled once, maybe twice, then completely locked up to the point they had to be sent back to the manufacturer to be un-jammed/frozen up.

Walther, for instance, suggests that +P ammo in a 9mm will reduce time between service for their handguns, while they don't recommend +P+ at all.

H&K uses hammer-forged polygonal barrels, and appear to accept +P+ just fine.

You will need to replace the springs more often, at a minimum if you use overpressure rounds regularly.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspinner View Post
    I do not remember the page but my "owners manual" for my Ruger Mark111 target model specifies not to use CCI Stinger Ammo. I had a conversation back a few months ago about this and Ruger said "read the manual". No Yellow Jackets or any "hyper velocity" ammo is reccommended.

If Stinger or "hyper" velocity ammo is not good for a Ruger 22/45 maybe the guns we are buying are less than what they should be. By the way my Ruger 10/22 is alergic to "hyper" velocity ammo also. Says something about my Ruger collection.

I know what you are thinking........"why buy hyper velocity ammo for a .22" ? Well why buy +P ammo for your .38's ?
    both of the 22s you quote are blow back actions. They depend on standardized ammo to make them work correctly. with a blow back gun the extra velocity will drive the slide back into the frame or receiver causing parts breakage quickly. Thats why SAMMI wont set a +P standard for 25 auto, 32 auto, or 380 auto. Most of the guns for these calibers are Blow Back. DR
    GlassWolf likes this.

I shoot the hell out of my guns. I have shot 2 44 mags lose, but I was shooting nitro magnum handloads, and a bunch of them, we are talking thousands.

Shoot what you feel comfortable with, and if you break it, then you should consider yourself lucky. Get another and wear it out too. By that time you will be getting close to being proficient.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links