Anybody ever injured their hand(s) shooting?

This is a discussion on Anybody ever injured their hand(s) shooting? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, today I just realized I injured my dominant hand a little. My middle knuckle is larger than the other hand, inbetween my middle finger ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Anybody ever injured their hand(s) shooting?

Question Anybody ever injured their hand(s) shooting?

Well, today I just realized I injured my dominant hand a little. My middle knuckle is larger than the other hand, inbetween my middle finger and my pointer finger (about 1/2 back from the webbing) it is swollen and raised slightly, on the inside of my hand the joint of my index finger is slightly purple and slightly swollen, and the tendon connecting my thumb to my index finger is sensitive. If I'd take a guess as to why, I would have to say maybe I am not holding my gun correctly?? I shot 3 clips of my .40cal which = 42rds.

any suggestions? if you suggest for me to hold it differently please explain in detail and/or provide a video.

Thanks
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

2. Remove Ads

Yes. Shot a Hi-Point 9mm a while back and the slide action cut the web of my hand between the thumb and index finger. Needless to say I never shot it again....
    "If an awalu [freeman] should blind the eye of another awalu [freeman], they shall blind his eye"
    -Hammurabi (1792-1750 B.C.E.)

Without actually seeing you fire the handgun, it will be difficult to assess what you may be doing incorrectly.

A proper grip on any handgun is essential to any shooter. A lot of people do it the wrong way and are subjected to injury. Maybe you can find some YouTube vids to show the proper way to grip a handgun before shooting it.
    Sister and Oldpsufan like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick46590 View Post
    Well, today I just realized I injured my dominant hand a little. My middle knuckle is larger than the other hand, inbetween my middle finger and my pointer finger (about 1/2 back from the webbing) it is swollen and raised slightly, on the inside of my hand the joint of my index finger is slightly purple and slightly swollen, and the tendon connecting my thumb to my index finger is sensitive. If I'd take a guess as to why, I would have to say maybe I am not holding my gun correctly?? I shot 3 clips of my .40cal which = 42rds.

any suggestions? if you suggest for me to hold it differently please explain in detail and/or provide a video.

Thanks
    It can happen. Heck, my whole arm is sore today. I was shooting somebodies Desert Eagle in .50AE this weekend.

What gun were you shooting and how were you gripping it?
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

If I'd take a guess as to why, I would have to say maybe I am not holding my gun correctly?? I shot 3 clips of my .40cal which = 42rds.
    That's a given. You'll need a bit of basic instruction. Your post doesn't give us much to go on to advise you of what you are doing wrong.

I have injured my shooting hand many times through the years. Getting bit by the hammer (Browning Hi Power) was one that I fought for years. Last year I shot some hot loads out of my Charter Arms Bulldog 44 and my hand was messed up for a month or so.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

First time I shot my LCP, slashed my left thumb pretty good. I was using two hands to hold the gun, but now I realize that only one hand is necessary to shoot the LCP.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Not my hand. But, my brother in law managed to land some hot brass down the front of my shirt. Wife was..upset.. when I took my shirt off; the brass managed to land and roll around in a way that looked kinda like I had been bitten... and SHE didn't bite me.
    herpjunkie likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I hurt my right hand/fingers pretty good once. I shot an American Eagle ???? revolver in a .22 long riffle. It is one of those very small 5 shot deals that fits in your shirt pocket. It was my first time shooting a revolver so i had no idea that the space between the cylinder and the barrel would flash on me and throw that power into my hand. I gripped the gun as best i could and let my finger ride up the side of the gun. Once i fired i realized that was a very bad idea lol. Luckily i didn't lose any fingers or flesh that day. I have since then heard a lot of horror stories about bad injuries from people doing that with larger caliber guns. One lesson learned the hard way !
    Firearms - A passion you can really enjoy, and if ya keep your head up outta your butt you can enjoy it for many years to come - Will (Red Jacket Firearms)

VIP Member
    The hot brass hickey?

It's not surprising how fast the girls can pull out their shirt to let a hot one fall through. I suggest they wear turtlenecks and ball caps.

Back to the thread.

Maybe a picture of your hold would help with recommendations for form. An 1873 Single Action Army clone can pound the shooting hand's second finger joint behind the trigger guard. The remedy is to back off the grip to drop the pinky under the plow handle. It sounds by your post that the back of the trigger guard is pounding that joint. More tension, lower on the grip, by the pinky may help, along with a tighter, higher grip to control the kick..

The 500 S&W will put a bruise in the lower web of the shooting hand with Wichester 400gr Platinum Points unless the lead bullet compensator is in place. It blocks off the top ports so the gun can flip up a bit, soaking up recoil and hitting higher in the web.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Not my hand. But, my brother in law managed to land some hot brass down the front of my shirt. Wife was..upset.. when I took my shirt off; the brass managed to land and roll around in a way that looked kinda like I had been bitten... and SHE didn't bite me.
    Will remember that one...!

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I handed my my wife a S&W model 642 titanium air weight model. She fired it once, put it down and shook her hand. She fired it again, put it down and shook her hand, which was beet red and said no more. She complained that her hand was numb for about 2 weeks afterwards.

We've also both had hot brass go places that weren't pleasant. I had it slide down behind my safety glasses and burn me just to the side of my eye. I got asked a few times if I had been punched in the following days. My wife had a hot casing go down the front of her shirt and catch in her under garments and wound up with a small burn. I thought she was going to flash everyone getting it out of there.

I used to shoot a S&W 357 and the sharp checkering on the cylinder release latch would bloody my thumb after a couple hundred rounds. Since then I have seen numerous of these revolvers that have had that checkering ground off smooth. So I figure it must of been fairly common problem.

Michael
    Inspector71 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I used to shoot a S&W 357 and the sharp checkering on the cylinder release latch would bloody my thumb after a couple hundred rounds. Since then I have seen numerous of these revolvers that have had that checkering ground off smooth. So I figure it must of been fairly common problem.

Michael
    That can happen when shooting a revolver using a thumbs forward hold as is used when shooting semi autos. For revolvers I like to wrap the thumb of the support hand over the thumb of the hand holding the gun. This brings the right thumb down away from any gouging from the release latch and seems to me a more natural way to hold a revolver. My semi autos are held with thumbs forward when shooting. This admittedly causes a minor muscle memory problem when switching between platforms but it works for me. On the other hand though, I do see a lot of guys shooting revolvers with thumbs forward and shooting them well without problems. I just do what I do and what works best for me.

Senior Moderator
    Pulled a tendon in my shooting hand by shooting far too many large caliber rounds through small firearms for too many days back to back.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links