Need some help on the ultimate gun project; .45 vs 9mm bun not what you think... - Page 2

Need some help on the ultimate gun project; .45 vs 9mm bun not what you think...

This is a discussion on Need some help on the ultimate gun project; .45 vs 9mm bun not what you think... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hmmm, I cannot do a reply with quote this morning. I have to copy and paste and then add the quote control. Anybody else having ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, I cannot do a reply with quote this morning. I have to copy and paste and then add the quote control. Anybody else having this problem?

Dog gone it SIXTO, you would have to go and apply impeccable logic to this.

Well, as is the case so many times, there is some ulterior drive behind this. I'll explain on a point by point.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO
    I would go with 9mm. Cost is a big factor, weight is another.
    I have to agree. The number of rounds one percieves to need, can be more easily managed both in weight, storage space, total round count, and round count and weight of the gun. I.e. 23+1 in a G34 weighs no more than 17+1 in a G21 SF.

...I'm certain that your skill and pistol craft is up to par, so you really do have the ability to squeak every once of performance out of the 9mm, mainly in the accuracy department.
    Hmmm, so you think I'm a good shot eh? Just when I needed to hear that too!

Here's that ulterior drive I mentioned earlier. The last month or so at the range has been a bit disappointing for me. My 'benchmark' drills are not up to what I expect them to be. And this is complicated. I was starting to get headaches so I went to the eye doctor. He basically said my glasses were wrong and put me in contacts to see if I liked the vision arrangement. The 'arrangement' is the left eye is for close up, the right eye for distance, a bifocal work around and I love it!

But, I know the contacts (soft) are inconsistent. Sometimes when I shoot, I'm razor sharp, sometimes I can't see my front sight, or it'm somewhere in between those two extremes. Soooo, I had them take the contacts out and I went back to my glasses. It didn't restore my performance as I expected it too. It could be that if I had given the glasses more time....

Anyway, I'm forced to consider that I may not be able to see as well as I could a few months ago. And, I have to face that if it's not so now, I'm probably going be there at some point. I'll tell you what guys, getting old is not good for you. And that senior discount ain't all it's made out to be either. There are two issues to aging eyes, one, focal sharpness and two, dimmer vision. I've been told that 20 year olds can see twice as good at night as 50 year olds. Hence the ulterior drive, a RDS to compensate for the eye issue.

I realize this is a slippery slope - once one becomes acclimated to a RDS, it's gonna be hard to go back to iron sights and skill will be lost with iron sights. If we found ourselves in situation where we have to use a gun with iron sights, we're worse off because of the RDS.

...So, the weight and cost factors become even bigger factors. A G34 may be ho hum, but so is a G21. Its your job to make it not. Slicken it up and outfit it as you see fit. It won't take all that much, and all of a sudden you have something not so boring.
    Thatís pretty good logic really. Itís funny, I just traded a G34 not long ago because it was so long to carry Ė now I kinda need it back donít I?

However, for the price of a G21 tactical barrel and slide, $350, I could just about buy a used G34. I wonder if they still have mine????

Oh, BTW, I canít get the +4 mag extension to work on my G21 SF mag. The manufacturer says they are having some trouble with that, so thatís a new consideration.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Ok for a great overall gun I agree with sxito...go with the 34. For something on the edge of cool but still functional...a 17L. I like the idea of both guns. The .45 is heavier though.

My friend bought the Arredondo extensions for use in his Kriss SuperV,,,but bought extras for his 21SF and added a light/laser combo. He had 30 +1 of .45 in it. Take your time and look around lots of custom options for the Glock to tacticool it out.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    converting my G21 SF with the pic rail and ambi safety

Ok am I that far behind the times or just confused ( which does not take much ). A Glock 21 with ambi safety? or ambi mag release?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    converting my G21 SF with the pic rail and ambi safety

Ok am I that far behind the times or just confused ( which does not take much ). A Glock 21 with ambi safety? or ambi mag release?
    You're not behind the times; I meant ambi mag release. I so used to saying ambi safety, it just rolled off my typing fingers.

Glad you picked up on that and pointed it out! Thanks!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links