Defensive Carry banner

Help with my 12ga?

837 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  RevolvingMag 
#1 ·
May be a repeat of an older thread, if so, sorry. May also be in the wrong place, again, sorry.

I have a Remington 12ga pump. The HD ammo I have is rather ridiculous (Centurion Multi-defense .65" ball + 6 #1 buck pellets). I know this requires no choke. And, possibly would do lots of damage if used with a choke.

I am looking for a mild-moderate choke to tighten up my pattern with field/bird shot. As it stands, my pattern is HUGE at 50yds. Which, I know is somewhat expected. But, I want to tighten it up a bit. Not looking to spend gobs of money on it, so no ridiculous recommendations, please. (i.e. slugs, buckshot, 50bmg, etc.- I know how you 'guys' can get. :tongue: )

Thanks for any and all help, as I am rather new to long guns.

#2 ·
First question, what length barrel are you using? And does it have removable chokes?

What do you define as a "huge" spread at 50 yards?

#3 ·
It's an 887 with a 28"bbl. Says it comes with a modified Rem-choke, but I got it secondhand, and don't think there's a choke in it. I didn't measure it, but, you know the political signs wide enough to have two of the 'H' stands holding it up? It peppered the whole thing, that I could confirm; I'm not sure about how much further out it went.

#4 ·
Well, first of all, if there isn't a choke in there, don't shoot it, or else you can damage the threads.

I'd try contacting Remington, and see if they will send you a set of choke tubes and a wrench for it.

#5 ·
It has something in there, looks like it's nothing more than a spacer to protect the threads. But, looking down the bore- with the barrel NOT on the rest of the frame, it looks like it doesn't narrow the end of the bore any.

#6 ·
#8 ·
The Remington site is how I get almost all my information about it. But, where the choke/spacer is, it's about the same size as the rest of the barrel.

#7 ·
There should be some sort of mark on the tube that makes it possible to determine what it is. I know on mine, there are little slits in the end, visible from the muzzle

#9 ·
Call Remintgon CS, and ask them. They should be able to identify what kind of choke is in there for you (different makers use different markings).

#11 ·
Checked it. It says Remington Mod.
Pulled the barrel and sighted down the bore without the choke, then with. I noticed a small difference. But not much.

#10 ·
If there is a removable choke, take it out. If it is supposed to have a removable choke, and you cannot see any threads in the end of the barrel there is a choke in it. It should be printed on the choke what size it is. If that's the case, then order a tighter choke to suite your needs. Chokes are not too expensive unless you get into specialty; turkey, ported, extended and the like.

#12 ·
Go to Walmart and buy a Full choke. They cost around 16 bucks. They usually carry all of them (improved cylinder,modified,full x full) close to where the guns are.

A shotgun in normally patterned at 40 yards. A 30 Inch circle is drawn and the percentage of shot in the circle determines what "choke" you have.

Fifty yards is too far to pattern a shotgun unless you have a highly modified shot gun like a custom turkey gun, which you dont have.

#13 ·
I did a little more research, and determined that a full was what I needed. Thank you.

I also cannot stand Wal-Mart. It makes me want to vomit all over everything. Then light it on fire. Sorry. I'll go down to the LGS, and spend a little more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.