Defensive Carry banner

My little story about the rifle that started it all 27 years ago

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Aaron1100us 
#1 ·
I just turned 37 last month. Back when I was around 8-10, my Uncle taught me how to shoot his .22 rifle. My parents (Mom) wouldn't let me have a rifle. All I was ever allowed was a BB gun when I was young. We went to visit my Aunt and Uncle often. I was really close to my Uncle Danny. We did everything outdoors together.

Back then, I didn't know what his rifle was, just that it was a dark green plastic and you loaded it through the stock. Shot my first rabitt with that rifle. My Aunt and Uncle moved from the country to the city back in the early 90's. After that, we really didn't have a chance to go shooting. Since then, I've been busy with school, work, Wife and now kids. Forgot all about that old .22.

My Uncle passed away back in 2006. He was the only one in the family who was into guns. After his passing, I asked my Cousin (his Grandson) what happened to all of his guns. My Cousin thought that they were given to my Uncle's Son-In-Law Steve. I thought that was odd since Steve wasn't into guns.

Just this Summer, I finally got around to asking my Aunt what happened to all of my Uncle's guns. Felt kinda awkward asking her about the guns, figured she got rid of them. Well, amazingly, she still has all of them, still in the same old wood gun cabinet. I told her that I thought it would be neat to find that old .22 that Danny taught me how to shoot on and asked if she would sell it. I recieved a letter from her last month saying that was my B-Day present, YAY:)

I found out what it is. It is a Remington Nylon 66 in Seneca Green. I have a friend that I work with that has the brown 66 which I recently got to shoot. Brought back memories. So, I'm heading up to my Aunt's house next weekend to pick up that old Nylon 66.

I'm going to try and talk her into selling me the rest of the guns. From what I remember, he had the Nylon 66, some sort of old 6 shot revolver with white grips, 20 gauge pump, 100 + year old double barrel 12 gauge and a Winchester 94 Golden Spike which he never ever shot, that one and the DB 12 were just to look at.

I'll post picts after I get it. Just hope it is still in good shape.

See less See more
#2 ·
If memory serves me correctly, the Nylon 66 was one of the first synthetic stocked rifles on the market. I'm sure she'll bring back many pleasant memories when you get her in your hands. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the first time you shoot her, it brings a tear to your eyes.

#3 ·
I don't recall the green version, only the brown and black (Apache?) models. Great little rifle. But like early poly guns, it had to beat back the "plastic gun" rap.

#4 ·
I've been having dreams about it these past few weeks, just doesn't seem real. I sure miss my Uncle, one of the nicest people I'd ever met.

This is odd. I'm hoping my Aunt will sell me the Winchester 94 Golden Spike. Went to the range yesterday with two friends. One friend brought one of his friends along. Well, this friend happened to have a Winchester 94. In my 37 years, I've never shot, only looked at my Uncle's 94 until yesterday. That was a neat experience.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Your story brings back memories of my Uncle as well. He had a Remmington .22 that he would take me to shoot and I just loved it. There was a place now filled up with lots and houses that he would take me, I may have been 7 or 8 years old at the time. Sadly, he too is gone, but the memories are with me for a lifetime.

My parents we not anti-firearm, they bought me a Sears .22 bolt action and a Springfield 20 ga shotgun that I still own, but I will always remember my Uncle. I also wanted a Nylon 66 but never accquired one. I hope you enjoy shooting it again!

#7 ·
Great story! thank you for sharing.

#10 ·
Cool Story thanks for sharing.

#12 ·
Very nice story thanks for sharing it with us. Since it appears you are the only family member into guns maybe you could discuss with her the possibility of buying them from her (at a fair price). It would be a shame for them to go to waste when there is someone in the family who can appreciate them. Some folks think that family heirlooms have to be worth tons of money to be valuable, they don't realize the personal attachments that make them valuable beyond money.

#14 ·
Great story and a fun gun. The Nylon 66 was all the rage when I was young and more than one friend had one. Black was the color of choice around here. In fact I never knew they came in any other color until later when I consulted a firearms catalog. I was thinking that the green ones may be the most scarce.

#15 ·
Marvelous story. Thank you for sharing. I would guess the green is fairly rare - the brown and black were all I ever saw. I wanted one so bad I could taste it. I bet it brings back a lot of great memories. Enjoy and have fun.

Reactions: QKShooter
#17 ·
The Remington NYLON 66 - I still have mine. Amazing lightweight, accurate little .22 - Mine is Black Nylon & Bright Chrome.

I'm best guessing that yours may be the most rare. I've seen the brown ones but, have never even heard of the green? :confused:

Regardless they have quite a following these days and have really appreciated in value.

I can't believe what the vintage ones sell for now. Mine would still be in Mint condition except for the fact that I somehow managed to put one long scratch on the stock. I have absolutely no idea how that even happened. :confused: I just saw it about a month ago.

Mine has one of the very first "light gathering" illuminated optics mounted on it.
The view through it is pale reddish with fairly coarse green "lit up" crosshairs. It's called the OPTI-SIGHT or something dumb like that. Very well made though. Nicely machined from steel & it's even hot blued.

#18 ·
That is cool that you still have yours. I have a friend who has a brown one. Never seen the black one in real life. This green is more like an OD Green. Odd looking color. There are wear marks but this rifle was sure used back in the day.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Good story. It's a reminder to all of us to prepare and designate for the future of our arsenals. They'll be around long after we will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.