I got a cleaning kit.. need some help identifying some parts.

This is a discussion on I got a cleaning kit.. need some help identifying some parts. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the cleaning kit came several different kinds of things, most i believe... i can identify correctly. Please help with what I am unsure of. ...

Thread: I got a cleaning kit.. need some help identifying some parts.

Question I got a cleaning kit.. need some help identifying some parts.

In the cleaning kit came several different kinds of things, most i believe... i can identify correctly. Please help with what I am unsure of. I know on the left is all the different size pushrods 17,22,30 and 12ga. BOTTOM right of the pushrods is obviously the cleaning bristles for different calibers.. used in conjunction with something like CLP or Hoppes.

1) the white wool mops above of the brass bristles. What are those used for? Im assuming after i use the brass brushes, that is the finishing "stroke" to clean the inside of the bore of any moisture?.. Help me out on that.

The "toothbrushes" are brass, stainless, and nylon. I know these help clean all the parts of the gun, like the slide, and in the reciever. However...
    2) I dont know what the difference is with the brush types.. what each is for application wise, etc.

Under the toothbrushes, and to the right of the wool/brass brushes, there are 2 black brushes with loop handles. The only thing I can see on the box that relates to these is possibly "Breech and Choke cleaning brush"
    3) What are the loop handles brushes for? The breech is the part where the ammunition comes into the barrel right? and the Choke would be the business end?

I know both boxes are patches of different sizes and am aware of what patches are for, and below those are the patch "holders" (in black)

Next issue is the things in the blue plastic peice. On the box it says "jags" but I truly cant figure out exactly what they are used for. They are calibered in assorted calibers from 17 to like .50 cal.
    4) what are these "jags" used for?

Last but not least, Outside of the case, beside the bottom right latch. Two "handles" The T handle I believe rotates if its like the other rod I have. (Not a whole kit) But am confused about the Bullet style Handle ..(right of latch)
    5) what is the "bullet style" handle used for? Why does the top come off of it like you can put something inside of it? (its sitting on the "top")

Yeah.. im a little embarrassed about posting this but If i dont ask I wont know. I'd rather be embarrassed and unexperienced with cleaning, than unexperienced and cleaning and doing things all wrong.

Thanks to all responses in advance.

N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Nice kit , I am a bit pressed for time at the moment , but i will re check the thread in a bit ( prob a couple of hours ) and if no one has chimmed in and explained the kit to you i will see what i can do for ya .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Ditto on the nice kit!...

Others will jump in I'm sure, but I'll at least tell you about the cleaning jags...cleaning patches roll around the jags, like rolling a cigarrette...not stuck over the pointy part. You can bend the jag and get them stuck in the bore if you try it that way...please don't ask me how I found this out...

You can put Hoppes on the patches, or leave them dry.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    I also haven't quite the time to write a whole screed on this yet - there are many points to make which would take a while. I'll drop in later if not enough feedback.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=floridaguy911]1) the white wool mops above of the brass bristles. What are those used for? Im assuming after i use the brass brushes, that is the finishing "stroke" to clean the inside of the bore of any moisture?.. Help me out on that.
    Yep, bore mops. I've always put some oil on them for a final stroke.

2) I dont know what the difference is with the brush types.. what each is for application wise, etc.
    I don't have a use for the metal ones, maybe someone else can help with that.

3) What are the loop handles brushes for? The breech is the part where the ammunition comes into the barrel right? and the Choke would be the business end?
    Look like pistol/revolver brushes, easier to use on the short barrels.

I know both boxes are patches of different sizes and am aware of what patches are for, and below those are the patch "holders" (in black)

Team American got you on the jags. Good for tough scrubbing bores.

5) what is the "bullet style" handle used for? Why does the top come off of it like you can put something inside of it? (its sitting on the "top")
    Umm, stumped me here.
    Yeah.. im a little embarrassed about posting this crap but If i dont ask I wont know. I'd rather be embarrassed and unexperienced with cleaning, than unexperienced and cleaning and doing things all wrong.

Everyone had to learn from someone. No embarassment there.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    1) the white wool mops above of the brass bristles. What are those used for? Im assuming after i use the brass brushes, that is the finishing "stroke" to clean the inside of the bore of any moisture?.. Help me out on that.
    Use the mops to spread an even light coat of oil on the inside of the barrel.

The "toothbrushes" are brass, stainless, and nylon. I know these help clean all the parts of the gun, like the slide, and in the reciever. However...
    The basic rule of thumb is be shure you use a brush made of softer material than your gun/finish ie.. dont use the steel brush on the outside of the gun and scratch the finish , or on aluminum frames for the same reason . They are ideal for getting crud out of the recesses in auto pistol barrels tho ( locking lugs , ect )

Under the toothbrushes, and to the right of the wool/brass brushes, there are 2 black brushes with loop handles. The only thing I can see on the box that relates to these is possibly "Breech and Choke cleaning brush"
    You pretty much nailed that one by your self , they are an extreamly soft nylon brush that wont damage or scratch feedramps , choke tube threads , ect .

Next issue is the things in the blue plastic peice. On the box it says "jags" but I truly cant figure out exactly what they are used for. They are calibered in assorted calibers from 17 to like .50 cal.
    4) what are these "jags" used for?

Last but not least, Outside of the case, beside the bottom right latch. Two "handles" The T handle I believe rotates if its like the other rod I have. (Not a whole kit) But am confused about the Bullet style Handle ..(right of latch)
    This i will take as a block lol The patch holders ( the ones with the slot ) are for running a patch soaked with hoppies 9 or other solivent thro the bore from the breech end when you cannot clean from the breech , a ruger 10-22 style auto comes to mind( where you would run a naked rod down the bore from the muzzle , attach the patch then pull the patch back thro the barrel . the jags are for the same thing from the breech end when possible . the two style handles are for comfort when cleaning as the t style is easyer to hang onto when pulling a patch thro , and the other easyer when pushing one thro . the cap and hollow is both for cheaper manfuacture and a handy place to stash a fiew patches and a jag if your taking one cal to the range ect .

As a side note allways clean barrels from the breech end when possible so you have less chance of nicking or damageing the rifleing at the muzzle , even an almost invisible ding there can drasticly affect accuracy .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Redneck Repairs Got it nailed down before I could get here.

Ill go ahead and say that you may want to forget about the steel bristle brush...set it aside. All the steel brushes are good for is messing up something really good. If you cant get it with the nylon or the bronze, then maybe resort to the steel, but only in a very cautious fashion.

Also, as another tip regarding brushes...I really like to use colgate motorized brushes for my cleaning, as the bristles are a mixture of soft and stiff, rotate and generally blast crud right off whatever you need it to, all for a very economical price, and with minimal carpal tunnel formation if you know what I mean.

Nice kit, have fun cleaning and maintaining your guns, your life may depend n the quality of your cleaning someday.
    Fear No Evil.

Assistant Administrator
    Some good info guys - saved me a mess of time
    Chris - P95

DC Founder
    It may be just me, but I have always removed the steel "toothbrushes" from my kits and thrown them in my tool box. I don't want them anywhere near my guns. That bullet shaped handle does come in handy carrying in your range bag for quick cleanings or emergencies.

I also impale my patches on the point of my jags, too. I'm thinking TA needs to tell us that story he left out.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    Re jags in particular - gotta add that the Parker Hale stuff I always used when ''over other side of pond'', worked and works way better for me than what I find here.

The brass jag's - see pic below - whether for rifle or pistol work are better than anything else I have tried - I just wrap what I know is needed for cal of ''4 by 2'' patch - used in UK mil - or was. It holds well.

Bronze brushes also more robust and last better. Just a mention for those who might want something different. I must admit Dewey rods are the tops but sadly won't accept Parker threads.

Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I also impale my patches on the point of my jags, too. I'm thinking TA needs to tell us that story he left out.....
    I shoot my M1 Garands quite a bit, and they pretty much have to be cleaned from the muzzle end, instead of from the chamber. Extra care has to be exercised when cleaning from the muzzle (as Redneck Repairs stated above.. ), so I knew that I wanted a 1 piece nylon rod to minimize wear on the crown.

I broke down and bought a real nice Dewey rod and some .30 cal "mil-spec" patched from Brownells. The Dewey rods come with a nice brass jag...I was set! I wetted a patch with Hoppes #9, stuck it on the pointy tip of the jag, and started it into the barrel. It went in about 4 inches, and started to get really tight...well, obviously I was babying the new cleaning rod, so I increased the pressure. At the 5 inch mark, the jag snapped in two...completely jammed in the barrel like a door wedge.

I had to make a run to the hardware store to get a wooden dowel...inserted it through the chamber and tapped the stuck jag and patch back out the muzzle. Well, I was mighty discombobulated about this jag business, so I did a search on the internet for info, and found out the proper way to use a patch and jag. If you roll the patch on the jag, it increases the actual surface area of patch to bore exponentially (meaning...a whole bunch!) I've never had a problem since.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Links