Glock Shaving Rounds

Glock Shaving Rounds

This is a discussion on Glock Shaving Rounds within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday my Dad and I went with a family friend so he could take the HCP. While he was in the class I shot 200 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Shaving Rounds

Glock Shaving Rounds

Yesterday my Dad and I went with a family friend so he could take the HCP. While he was in the class I shot 200 rounds of Privi Partison .40sw through my Glock 23 without an issue at all. When it got time for him to do his shooting portion he used my Glock and Federal fmj target ammo. The instructor noticed that my gun was sending metal shavings into the target. It was literally making tears in the target. After his shooting test I put a target up and shot a few more rounds of my Privi Partison from 3 yards to see if it shaved any and once again in ran perfect. Should I be concerned with my gun or put it off as an ammo issue? I have put a total of 600 rounds of Privi Partison through it with no issues. It was just the Federal that did it.

That sounds a bit odd to me honestly. I know that revolvers with timing issues can do that, but haven't heard of a semi-auto doing that. What weight bullets was he shooting?

Is it possible something behind the target was causing ricochets to fly back towards the target, and bullet fragments were flying back and causing the tears?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

What are you going to be using as a SD round? If it's the Privi Partison, I'd not worry, if it's the Federal I'd have it checked out.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    That sounds a bit odd to me honestly. I know that revolvers with timing issues can do that, but haven't heard of a semi-auto doing that. What weight bullets was he shooting?

Is it possible something behind the target was causing ricochets to fly back towards the target, and bullet fragments were flying back and causing the tears?
    He was shooting 180gr. Thats possible but the instructor pulled out the barrel and checked in and it had little metal shavings in it.

To the other poster, Im not sure how to quote more than one person but neither will be used as SD ammo. Purely target ammo.

This is the Federal Champion from WalMart? I had some 9mm that did the same thing. Never could explain why...

Quote Originally Posted by FatPants View Post
    This is the Federal Champion from WalMart? I had some 9mm that did the same thing. Never could explain why...
    Yep, straight from wal-mart. it seems like an ammo issue for sure, but i figured I'd get some other people's thoughts.

Administrator
    It's hard to imagine the polygonal bore of a Glock barrel shaving jacket fragments off of a FMJ bullet? I'm calling it an ammo issue.

VIP Member
    The only way I can see bullet being shaved going through the barrel, would be if the bullet was oversize. If you have a micrometer available, you could check the sizing and see if it is within spec for .40 cal.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like ammo. I used to like Federal until I realized they use SPP in their 45acp brass. I don't think much of a company that would do that.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sounds to me like what's punching the target is unburned powder or powder filler combined with muzzle blast. As to the actual metal, maybe brass shavings from the case going up the feedramp and over the chamber edge ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Sounds to me like what's punching the target is unburned powder or powder filler combined with muzzle blast. As to the actual metal, maybe brass shavings from the case going up the feedramp and over the chamber edge ?
    Thats possible and now that I think about it is what looked to be embedded in the target. But I helped a guy pick up all the .40 brass and dont recall seeing any messed up cartridges. Since it was an isolated incident and only with the Federal, Im gonna not think much of it and label it ammo related.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Sounds like ammo. I used to like Federal until I realized they use SPP in their 45acp brass. I don't think much of a company that would do that.
    Excuse my ignorance, what is SPP?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It's hard to imagine the polygonal bore of a Glock barrel shaving jacket fragments off of a FMJ bullet? I'm calling it an ammo issue.
    Aw come on QK, at least one person needs to accuse him of limp wristing! LOL..
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Administrator
    "As to the actual metal,
    maybe brass shavings from the case going up the feedramp and over the chamber edge?"
    ~~>

It IS possible that when the bullets were seated in the cartridge cases the jackets became damaged and there are loose fragments sitting on top the powder. AKA - Poor QC during manufacture.

No chance that the target frame was being hit? I've seen that do that. (if it is steel) Other than that, no ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links