Defensive Carry banner

Glock Shaving Rounds

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  ksholder 
#1 ·
Yesterday my Dad and I went with a family friend so he could take the HCP. While he was in the class I shot 200 rounds of Privi Partison .40sw through my Glock 23 without an issue at all. When it got time for him to do his shooting portion he used my Glock and Federal fmj target ammo. The instructor noticed that my gun was sending metal shavings into the target. It was literally making tears in the target. After his shooting test I put a target up and shot a few more rounds of my Privi Partison from 3 yards to see if it shaved any and once again in ran perfect. Should I be concerned with my gun or put it off as an ammo issue? I have put a total of 600 rounds of Privi Partison through it with no issues. It was just the Federal that did it.

#2 ·
That sounds a bit odd to me honestly. I know that revolvers with timing issues can do that, but haven't heard of a semi-auto doing that. What weight bullets was he shooting?

Is it possible something behind the target was causing ricochets to fly back towards the target, and bullet fragments were flying back and causing the tears?

#4 ·
He was shooting 180gr. Thats possible but the instructor pulled out the barrel and checked in and it had little metal shavings in it.

To the other poster, Im not sure how to quote more than one person but neither will be used as SD ammo. Purely target ammo.

#3 ·
What are you going to be using as a SD round? If it's the Privi Partison, I'd not worry, if it's the Federal I'd have it checked out.

#8 ·
The only way I can see bullet being shaved going through the barrel, would be if the bullet was oversize. If you have a micrometer available, you could check the sizing and see if it is within spec for .40 cal.

#11 ·
Thats possible and now that I think about it is what looked to be embedded in the target. But I helped a guy pick up all the .40 brass and dont recall seeing any messed up cartridges. Since it was an isolated incident and only with the Federal, Im gonna not think much of it and label it ammo related.

#14 ·
"As to the actual metal,
maybe brass shavings from the case going up the feedramp and over the chamber edge?"
~~> :blink:

It IS possible that when the bullets were seated in the cartridge cases the jackets became damaged and there are loose fragments sitting on top the powder. AKA - Poor QC during manufacture.

#16 ·
The frame is made of wood. And to the guy that mentioned limp wristing, if that could cause this it is a very good possibility. He is a very small guy and has very little experience shoot handguns. But also, this was his second time shooting my Glock and this problem didn't happen the first time. We were using my Privi partison ammo the first time though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.