Simple Green as a weapons cleaner?

This is a discussion on Simple Green as a weapons cleaner? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently read an article (I can't for the life of me remember where???) discussing using Simple Green instead of Hoppes/CLP/etc to clean the slide, ...

Thread: Simple Green as a weapons cleaner?

Simple Green as a weapons cleaner?

I recently read an article (I can't for the life of me remember where???) discussing using Simple Green instead of Hoppes/CLP/etc to clean the slide, slide rails, and other surfaces. Has anyone tried this? If so, what have your results been?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have never tried it but I do have several DVD courses from AGI (American Gunsmithing Institute). They use it in every DVD course I have. Then they rinse the weapon in a tub of what appears to be water. Then dry the gun with a towel or blow dryer and finally lube the gun.

I use it all the time when shooting corrosive ammo. It's great stuff and smells pretty good too. For shooting regular ammo, I just stick to Hoppes and some oil. If I were going to use it on pistols, I probably would just spray some down the barrel and use Hoppes on the rest.

Not sure I could do it, I used to use it for my bike wheels and it made for some sticky brake surface.

It is a degreaser. I have seen what it will do to a waxed VCT floor and to your skin. I would not use it on my weapons.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

For general cleaning I use Gunzilla. For a complete strip and clean I use a citrus degreaser. Works wonders.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Its use is not allowed in the aviation industry because it was found to cause corrosion on certain metals. Make of that what you wish. I don't use it. If you need to remove oils and greases, Dawn dish detergent works wonders, even on your clothing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I use it... and it works great, but I also admit I only use it on the Army's weapons.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Here is something I came up with when I was checking products for industrial equipment cleaning. Take a bottle of what ever you want to use. Spray some in the sink in such a way as to cause some of the cleaner to remain on the nozzle then set it aside. After a day or so look at the bottle. If it has some sort of white or colored crusty material on the nozzle, keep it away from your firearms. SAC 69, Crown Spray Power and Crud Cutter will do this overnight.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Your supposed to clean your guns,Well I guess I would know that if I did'nt carry a Glock.

FYI:

2-Butoxyethanol is an active ingredient...

Taken from Wikipedia -
    Human exposure
    Moderate respiratory exposure to 2-butoxyethanol often results in irritation of mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and throat. Heavy exposure via respiratory, dermal or oral routes can lead to hypotension, metabolic acidosis, hemolysis, pulmonary edema and coma. The current ACGIH threshold limit value (TLV) for worker exposure is 20 ppm in the industrial atmosphere, which is well above the odor threshold of 0.4 ppm. Blood or urine concentrations of 2-butoxyethanol or its major toxic metabolite, 2-butoxyacetic acid, may be measured using chromatographic techniques to monitor worker exposure or to confirm a diagnosis of poisoning in hospitalized patients. A biological exposure index of 200 mg 2-butoxyacetic acid per g creatinine has been established in an end-of-shift urine specimen for exposed U.S. employees.[6][7]
    U.S. Employers are required to inform employees when they are working with this substance.[8]
    Butoxyethanol is listed in the U.S. state of California as a hazardous substance,[9] though it was removed from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency‎'s list of hazardous air pollutants in 1994.[10]
    2-Butoxyethanol has come under scrutiny in Canada, and Environment and Health Canada recommended that it be added to Schedule 1 of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA).[11] The use of some common household cleaning products containing 2-butoxyethanol could expose people to levels 12 times greater than California's one-hour guideline, especially when indoor use is considered.[1] These products are not required to list it on the label when diluted to a certain point. The safety of the products as normally used is defended by the American Chemistry Council and the Soap and Detergent Association, industry trade groups.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Simple Green PRO HD

The correct Simple Green product to use on weapons is Simple Green Pro HD. It is carried/sold at Home Depot. Totally different from the original Simple Green and based on a formula that was developed for use on aircraft. We have received great feedback on use of this product to clean firearms:
    “In March, 2007, I contacted you with a question regarding the use of Simple Green for cleaning firearms. You responded with a very helpful email recommending 5 different
    products. The one product you favored was "Simple Green Pro HD", using a 1:5 dilution. I have now been using this product as you advised for over a year. I think you may be
    interested in my experience with this product.
    1. Cost: This part is a nobrainer. For about the same price as one pint of the products I previously used (Hoppe's No. 9 Nitro Solvent and Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber
    Aerosol), I buy a gallon of Pro HD, which then yields 6 gallons of cleaning solution. The math is easy on this one.
    2. Ease of use: I have not changed the method I use to clean, only the cleaning solution. Cleaning time has been reduced to about one third of what it was before.
    3. Effectiveness: Saving the best for last. Simple Green Pro HD, @1:5, gets my guns cleaner than the products that are supposed to be the "best". The most dramatic differences
    are seen on the inside of the barrels, and in the "feel" of the guns. Residue from gunpowder and lead can adversely affect accuracy. Pro HD eliminates these residues easily and completely.
    Removing the "crud" from the barrel has traditionally been the most difficult and time consuming part of gun cleaning. It has now become easy.
    I mentioned the "feel" of the guns. My guns feel cleaner in my hands than before. Previously, there was a slightly slippery feeling on the exterior surfaces, probably due to the nature of the solvents being oil based. With Pro HD, the guns feel dry. This makes for a more solid feeling when handling them. This seems to make the guns more controllable when firing. I don't know if this real or just an illusion, but it really doesn't matter. It enhances my grip, and therefore my confidence in my shooting. I have recommended this product to many friends, club members
    (I shoot competitively on a regular basis), co-workers, and students (I am an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor). Without exception, all have related results similar to mine. On behalf
    of all of us, I would like to thank you for your excellent advice, and for a top quality product. Perhaps you may want to consider targeting this market (no pun intended).”
    Sincerely,
    Brian Chesloff
    Vice President and Founder, South Florida Pin Shooters
    Safety Director, Tropical Sport Shooting Association
    Safety Officer, International Defensive Pistol Association
    Instructor and Range Safety Officer, National Rifle Association

PS- I am the VP of R&D for Simple Green.

Alot of stuff works well. However, I use hoppes #9 and CLP, or sometimes Tetra gun grease.

FYI.....it has been discovered that Hoppes#9 has many uses. One of which is that applying a little dab behind the ears and on the neck, makes you irresistible to country girls, and could lead to other issues.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Simple green does bad things to aluminum. No problem with steel.

Links