Sweets Solvent

This is a discussion on Sweets Solvent within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; was checking out sweets 7.62mm solvent 200 on midwayusa.. It says it contains 5 percent ammonia for maximum effectiveness. I also notice that several cleaners ...

Thread: Sweets Solvent

Question Sweets Solvent

was checking out sweets 7.62mm solvent 200 on midwayusa.. It says it contains 5 percent ammonia for maximum effectiveness. I also notice that several cleaners say "contains no ammonia". This tells me that using ammonia in any of my bores will have some negative effect on it. If my observations are correct, tell me what it does.. if you can why.. How long it takes to cause the negative, what can be done to alleviate it, etc..

-for copper removal etc (added)
    Last edited by floridaguy911; August 10th, 2006 at 11:23 PM.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ill just suggest ed's red as a solvent , a how to with pics ( its a homebrew solvent ) is avalable here http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/edred/index.asp
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Ill second that RR....Ed's red is very good, and very economical...I mix mine by the gallon.

Some will say that the ammonia is good for revoving primer residue, others will say it is good for removing corrosive salts, but it is really just a matter of personal preferance.

Ill use windex with ammonia for cleaning after a round of corrosive shooting, but not because of the ammonia, just because it works really well.

To be honest, I havent found many solvents capable of miracles. The new foaming copper solvents seem to work pretty well, but cost more than I care to pay for, especially for as many pistols and rifles as I normally clean.

Ive been using Hoppes 9 Copper solvent, and shooters choice for years, and now supplement these supplies by running some eds red through before the other more expensive stuff.

All that being said, Ive found sweets to be a good cleaner, just cant get it locally for a good price, so I stick to other stuff.
    Fear No Evil.

Assistant Administrator
    I am trying to remember the downside of ammonia and can't right now. However the word is residual ammonia in a bore is not good - someone else can outline the ''why".

I don't use any ammonia based stuff anyways - at least not strong enough to be of concern.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I use Sweets on my guns that have a problem with jacket fouling. After im done with the Sweets, I put a patch of Kroil mixed with rubbing alcohol(yes I practice "Bench rest Voodo") down the barrel.

I am trying to remember the downside of ammonia and can't right now. However the word is residual ammonia in a bore is not good - someone else can outline the ''why".
    The problem with ammonia is that the ammonia gas evaporates out, leaving plain water. Water, of course, promotes rust. The other problem is that copper in a barrel acts as "reverse galvanizing". Where zinc will protect steel, copper does the opposite, and promotes pitting and corrosion. Leaving water in the barrel forms a battery, with copper and steel, and promotes the pitting.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    We use Sweet's at my police force. We have never had a problem. The trick is to make sure you wipe out the bore real well. I have been using it on our Berettas for about 7 or 8 years. It sure cleans the bores very well.

Assistant Administrator
    Greg - succinctly put explanation of ammonia. Thx.

Stopping to think on it yes of course - it's our friend the periodic table again
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links