Strongest common semi-auto rifle?

This is a discussion on Strongest common semi-auto rifle? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is another fairly easy question, for someone who knows more than I do. I'm thinking about semi-automatic rifles, but I'd like to be able ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Strongest common semi-auto rifle?

This is another fairly easy question, for someone who knows more than I do.
    I'm thinking about semi-automatic rifles, but I'd like to be able to buy them on the secondary market 'easily'.
    As far as I know, the most powerful semi-auto rifle is the Kel-tec .308 RFB. But, those are certainly not very findable!
    There might be a cartridge that's weaker, but has a rifle that's semi-auto and availabled in the wanted ads ...

BAR .338 Win Mag.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Not sure I really understand the question; strongest? One quick thought is the Remington 7400, it has been around for decades and is available in 30.06 which is "stronger" than .308 and very "available".
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    BAR .338 Win Mag.
    The Browning BAR Safari is one of the nicest looking rifles ever made I think and I have wanted one for a long time.
    BAR Safari, , Browning Firearms Product

Please define what you mean by "strongest?"
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Yeah, stupid parlance on my part. "Strongest", snerk. Sorry. The Remington 7400 series seems to be along the vibe I was looking for.
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Administrator
    Strongest as in durable or powerful caliber?
    "Just blame Sixto"

GM
    I have to say that I am confused too. I do not understand what you mean with "Strongest common semi-auto rifle" and with "As far as I know, the most powerful semi-auto rifle is the Kel-tec .308 RFB". Powerful in what way? Are you perhaps asking about the strongest .30 caliber rifle cartridge?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Strongest...Barrett 50BMG?
    Durable...Ruger 10-22?
    Best compromise...M1-A1, FAL, G3, or AR10 platforms?

Perhaps a military pattern and cartridge make strong, reliable, and universally available choices.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

M1 Garand?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    If you are going to use it as a pry bar a .50 bull barrell ought to do it. You have to match the tool to the job, and i have no idea what you want.

Sorry, everyone. Yeah, sloppy language. I was thinking of a hunting cartridge, as close to on-par as the .308 as possible. When I was looking through the for-sale ads, I could only find .308s that were bolt-action. I know that saying "powerful cartridge" is not very descriptive. I'll look into the 7400, to see if people like it or not.
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

ditto on The M1...bought one from the CMP and had it converted to a "mini-G" by Tim Shufflin. The 30-06 is a kick-butt round and having the barrel shortened to just above 16" makes it great to handle. "30-06 is never a mistake".....

Now comes the big question, what are you hunting?

Let's face it, so many bullet types/weights, and calibers that are equally capable for taking most game animals out there, we need to know the "top end" of the game you are going after to even make a suggestion.

There are some game that should require you to think bigger. Grizzlies come to mind. I wouldn't want to take the vast majority of whitetail killers to a grizzly hunt because the chances of screwing up are higher than with the heavier calibers. That, and screwing up on a grizzly hunt doesn't even compare to screwing up almost every other North American hunting exeperience.

VIP Member
    Saiga makes a .308 also.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links