Trading in question

Trading in question

This is a discussion on Trading in question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a question I was hoping all of you could help me with. I'm thinking if trading in my Ruger LCR that's very new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Trading in question

Trading in question

I had a question I was hoping all of you could help me with. I'm thinking if trading in my Ruger LCR that's very new (100 rounds). What I don't know is how much I can expect to get on a trade in. Of course, it's dependent on plenty of local factors, but in general, I was wondering what to shoot for. If it's 400 new, would 300 be normal? 325?

Thanks.

Gun shops and pawn shops usually only give about 50% of what they are going to charge. Some shops actually charge the same price for a used gun as buying it new. Honestly, if the gun is worth $400 new, they will probably give you around $200 for it and charge $350. You are probably better off selling it locally on armslist or even posting it on a few forums.

I stupidly sold a Mossberg 500 a few years ago at a local shop and only got $160. I think the brand new value was about $350.

Sell it FTF. You'll Get more $$ JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I've never traded in a gun. I just move them to new locations.
    Devilsclaw likes this.

VIP Member
    Your definitely going to come up on the short end of the deal trading it. Better option is an outright private sale. If you do trade, the cost of the gun your trading for will effect what they will give you for your gun. Remember, they are in business to make money.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I recently took a S&W 1006 with four extra mags in to a high-volume gun dealer in Columbus, Ohio to see what kind of trade they would do on one of the hundred or so new Glocks they have in stock. These guns typical sell for $550-$750 on line. He took it in the back to "ask his manager" and stayed gone for about ten minutes. When he returned, he sadly informed me that these guns just don't really sell, and the best they could do was $200 on trade. I laughed and told him I could part with the mags for that amount, but not the gun. They absolutely do not care about the history of the gun, rounds run through it or much else. They just want to be able to at least double their money on it. Much better to sell it on-line.

VIP Member
    There are 5 LCR models available. I am guessing it is a 2010 model or earlier so one model can probably be eliminated. Is it .38 special +P or .357? XS front sights? Add $50 for .357 Mag or XS front sights.

Excellent condition, no blems, Grading = 98% Retail value will be $400.00 but no dealer will pay you more than what the gun wholesales for new. That being said, a generous trade in may be no more than $300. for a .38 spl +P w/ Houge grips.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Post #2 is right on the money, you will only half of what the LGS can sell it for, and the good gun stores will tell you that right upfront and advise you to try and sell it locally or online. Hold on to it until another opportunity comes up, even if you've decided that you don't like it, it's worth it just to keep it for now.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

While 95% of the time with a trade in you will get the short in of the stick. From time to time my LGS owners will really give me a good deal on a trade-in when they know I am going to be turning around and giving the "money" right back to them.

There are times when staying local and establishing a relationship with your local business's can pay off.
    mr surveyor and gottabkiddin like this.

Administrator
    Guns are like jewelry. Buy a diamond ring for a thousand - don't even take it out of the box - run it into a different jewelry store to sell it & expect to get 500 for it.

There are exceptions to the rule AKA popular high demand, high quality firearms that you keep in mint condition and are willing to "safe queen" them for a number of years.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Either sell it privately or keep it. I assume you gave around $400 for it, so to even trade for $300 (which would be unlikely if you're honest with yourself on the price of the other gun) is a $100 LOSS! Sooner or later you'd probably find someone to buy it for "less of a loss", which might be acceptable. Buying new guns is kinda like buying a new car. You'd better be happy with it for a "while" or else you're going to hose yourself. Just my opinion.

Cattus Vir hit the nail on the head. Getting to know the staff helps out with some trade-in value. More importantly, trading in when you are buying a new firearm, oftentimes gets you a better deal. That's something I've seen firsthand with the big-name chain stores, as well as the LGS, as my Father traded off some of his guns for new ones.

Barely used gun. You'll get cost and a little less for the wear & tare from the LGS. If you're trading for another, not much of a difference, but as stated earlier it's totally up to the shop owner. Over the years I've found that it's really not beneficial to trade any firearms back to the dealer. Bottom line, they are in it for the sale and unless it's a rare find, the firearm is just a commodity to be bought and sold, and you're gonna take a bath on it.

Sell it to an individual outright if you're not willing to sell it for a loss on it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I say sell that gun outright. You will get raped by trading it in. They will only give you 40-60% of what they can resell it for. Sometimes the loss of money can be justified but only in rare occasions.
    Question Everything!

VIP Member
    The problem with trading a gun to a gun shop is this: You paid retail for your gun. They pay wholesale. The price you want to get from your gun is probably very close to the price they pay for a brand new one. Therefore they have no motivation to give you a decent price unless they are going to make money on the back end of the deal. For them it's a question of economics. Why buy a used gun that will command a lower price when they can buy a new gun that will sell for full price? The only reason they would ever do so is if they are getting their profit some place else (IE: another gun purchase).

You always make more money when selling used if you find a private sale buyer. A private buyer has no margin and just wants a good gun at a great price. Try the members buy sell forum here on DC and your LCR will be sold in a week or two. : )
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links