Trigger jobs, rail polishing, etc etc

This is a discussion on Trigger jobs, rail polishing, etc etc within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone on the forum get a new handgun (brand spanking new) and then send it first thing to a gunsmith to get work done on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Trigger jobs, rail polishing, etc etc

Trigger jobs, rail polishing, etc etc

Anyone on the forum get a new handgun (brand spanking new) and then send it first thing to a gunsmith to get work done on it? I know a couple of guys won't even shoot a gun until it got a trigger job, polished ramp and rails, things like that. Anyone else subscribe to that?

I haven't had work done on any of my handguns, I am curious if you experienced handgunners recommend to get work done. I am a recreational target shooting and CC.

Mike

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BitReaver View Post
    Anyone on the forum get a new handgun (brand spanking new) and then send it first thing to a gunsmith to get work done on it? I know a couple of guys won't even shoot a gun until it got a trigger job, polished ramp and rails, things like that. Anyone else subscribe to that?

I haven't had work done on any of my handguns, I am curious if you experienced handgunners recommend to get work done. I am a recreational target shooting and CC.

Mike

That is like salting your meal before you even taste it!

I suppose a certain segment of shooters will do this, but I would not. For me, I like to know the baseline before I make the decision to alter any gun. If it is a carry gun, I am very hesitant to change it from stock. If it is a competition gun, I want to know what it can do bone-stock and work from that point.

I think this comes from the 1911 and revolver world of many years ago, when these things had to be done just to make them a better bet in a fight. Today, we have so many more options/choices that the manufacturers are putting a little more thought and work into their finished products. I believe there is STILL too much customer beta testing going on, but it is not hard to find a very acceptable firearm straight out of the box these days.

Of course, we have all of those early "pioneers" to thank for the fine firearms we have today.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Administrator
    There is a lot that you can tell about a pistol before you actually go and shoot it. The trigger is going to be the same during live fire as it is in dry fire. It's possible to also determine the condition of the rails.

Truthfully if you know how to carefully check out a specific pistol before you plunk down your $$$ for it you can pretty avoid major gunsmithing later on.

As for myself, all of my 1911s have short triggers and no "ambi" safeties so I wouldn't hesitate to remove an "ambi" and remove a long trigger & install a short one before I've fired the pistol.

VIP Member
    I'd never have work done on a new gun before firing it. If you drop $300-400 dollars into custom work and then there is a problem with the gun, you may find you've voided the warranty with the modifications, or if the gun has to be replaced your out the money you spent for the custom work.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Not brand new out of the box, but I sent my M&P9c off for a trigger job after 100 rounds. It might have gotten some better with wear, but in reality I think I would have ended up getting it done anyway. Why not sooner than later.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

All this is common when you buy a 1911,just to make them semi-reliable.

I do it all the time. Wolff springs in revolvers, various kinds of work, polish feed ramps, sights etc. Some work has to be done after the gun is broken in a little, but not all.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Now, I don't think that is fair to say. As I have had 3 production full sized 1911's, that needed no such work, and were all perfectly reliable.

And actually, my Glock 36 went down last month, and needed new parts in order to function again. Any mechanical device is capable of malfunction. That is why it is a good idea to research before a purchase. I will acknowledge some 1911 makers have worse records than others as far as reliability, but throwing all of them in the same bag is unnecessary, and detrimental to the topic IMHO.

As for the OP, I generally like as little work done on my pistols after purchase as possible. I try to buy them with the features I already like.
    QKShooter and OD* like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Have to disagree with you. My Dan Wesson was 100% reliable and a tack driver out of the box.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Roadrunner's got it right.

"That is like salting your meal before you even taste it!"

No, actually it isn't.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Administrator
    There is a chasm of difference in sending a firearm to a custom gunsmith in order to have it made into exactly what you want it to ultimately be and sending an unreliable gun to a gunsmith to have it fixed or just to make it function.
    And you're saying that after a 1911 has been sent to a gunsmith that makes it SEMI reliable?
    Many shooters that are really into the 1911 platform will buy a 1911 and immediately send it off to be customized for its intended purpose.
    They might want adjustable night sights or a front strap checkered & a beaver-tail installed. That has nothing to do with if the gun originally functioned perfectly (right out of the box" or not.
    All of my Colt .45 ACP pistols functioned perfectly right out of the box but, all but one have been customized to my specific liking.

You know...just the way you would put a nice set of custom ivory monogrammed grips onto your cookie cutter GLOCK. Oh Wait...I forgot...you can't.

buckeye .45 and OD* like this.

There's Nothing Wrong With Customizing A NIB Firearm.

OK Shooter said in part..

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "There is a chasm of difference in sending a firearm to a custom gunsmith in order to have it made into exactly what you want it to ultimately be" and the fact that doing so "has nothing to do with if the gun originally functioned perfectly right out of the box or not."
    I agree completely with "OK Shooter".

My FireStar M40, which I purchased NIB over 20 plus years ago, functioned perfectly right out of the box.. yet I had it immediately customized (see my Avatar or profile picture) to my specifications.

What started out as a $300 factory issued firearm turned into a $1,300 "one of a kind" Customized piece.. and as far as I'm concerned, money well spent!

FireStar M40

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator
    "OK Shooter said in part.."

That would be OK with a "Q" rather than an O.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "OK Shooter said in part.."

That would be OK with a "Q" rather than an O.
    Uh oh... That one might stick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links