First Ever Range Report

First Ever Range Report

This is a discussion on First Ever Range Report within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone. Well, the title says it all - I experienced my first shooting at a nearby range today. And it was great! The employees ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: First Ever Range Report

Smile First Ever Range Report

Hi everyone. Well, the title says it all - I experienced my first shooting at a nearby range today. And it was great!

The employees were all courteous and the one behind the counter was friendly and knowledgeable. I was a bit worried since neither my sister nor myself have any shooting experience but he was happy to help and get us shooting. The atmosphere was very nice, too. Clean, well-lit, and had parents with children.

I started with a Walther P22 and ended with a full size S&W in .22 (not sure of the model but it looked old). Had two failure to ejects on the P22 but I am not positive if I was limp wristing or the rounds were bad. We were using some Winchester brand. Revolver was nice but the double action was a bear to use and maintain on target.

The best part was that an hour of fun didn't kill the wallet. I definitely plan on returning and testing 9mm and .38 special.

Quote Originally Posted by D1omedes View Post
    Hi everyone. Well, the title says it all - I experienced my first shooting at a nearby range today. And it was great!

The employees were all courteous and the one behind the counter was friendly and knowledgeable. I was a bit worried since neither my sister nor myself have any shooting experience but he was happy to help and get us shooting. The atmosphere was very nice, too. Clean, well-lit, and had parents with children.

I started with a Walther P22 and ended with a full size S&W in .22 (not sure of the model but it looked old). Had two failure to ejects on the P22 but I am not positive if I was limp wristing or the rounds were bad. We were using some Winchester brand. Revolver was nice but the double action was a bear to use and maintain on target.

The best part was that an hour of fun didn't kill the wallet. I definitely plan on returning and testing 9mm and .38 special.
    Welcome to the community! We got ya hooked now!

Administrator
    It's great starting out shooting .22 RimFire. Now go for the 9mm & .38 SPL.
    You can do it!
    Let us know how you like shooting centerfire ammo.

GM
    Good job . Glad you enjoyed it; you can now test the 9mm and the .38 Spl . However, I think that practicing a little more with the .22 might be a good idea. If you shoot a .22 you will be able to focus more on the basics, trigger control, sight picture, etc., and then you and your sister will learn faster.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Having fun is what it's all about. Sometimes we forget that. Look forward to hearing about your next outing.
    GM likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll start with .22 again and then move up based on my comfort with how I am shooting.

I do have a question though - is the DA on the S&W Model 17 (I did some research and that's the .22 revolver I fired) very difficult to master? It seemed so to me. I was told that is to be expected on revolvers and I should strengthen my trigger finger by lifting bottles with it. Anyone heard of that before?

VIP Member
    The .22 is a good starting point. Gives you something to develop your confidence with. I wouldn't worry about the FTE with the .22, especially since it was a range gun. Many things could cause it besides limp wristing. Gun could have needed cleaning, problem with the extractor. The important thing is you got your feet wet. Now just keep practicing, and when you feel confident move up to something bigger.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Having fun is what it's all about. Sometimes we forget that. Look forward to hearing about your next outing.
    You are right, it is about having fun. I obviously forgot it ; sorry for that.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Glad you got out and had fun. That is what the shooting sports are all about.

DA revolvers take time to master. The trigger pull is longer and heavier in general, and not at all like a P22 or other semi-auto. However, it is a skill worth developing and once you do, you will have the skill for life.

Links