Dealer has my Suppressor from the "Hotguns"group buy

This is a discussion on Dealer has my Suppressor from the "Hotguns"group buy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went by to fill out the paperwork on my suppressor at the class 3 dealer,he asked if I was gonna put it on a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Dealer has my Suppressor from the "Hotguns"group buy

Angry Dealer has my Suppressor from the "Hotguns"group buy

I went by to fill out the paperwork on my suppressor at the class 3 dealer,he asked if I was gonna put it on a "trust",I said no I'm gonna put it in my name,he said where you live,I said Edinburg,he said you won't get the Chief to sign off on it.I said the Sheriff can sign it right,he said yea,I said how much is a trust he said around $300 in lawyer fees.
    So first thing in the morning I gotta call in some favors,since I have made friends with a lot of people over time,I will either get a friend to vouch for me and get the Sheriff to sign it,or a lawyer I know may give me a freebie or a discount on the "trust" fees.If it's this hard to buy a suppressor, it's gonna be almost impossible to buy a cruise missile
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    LOL I have looked at both ways and both have their ups and downs.

Yep some Chiefs and Sherriff's simply won't sign off and can't change their mind about it. The trust, even though it costs money, to me is the easiest way to go.

I have purposely not purchased suppressors, SBR's, or full auto simply because I don't want to deal with the registration hassle however establishing a trust you dont own the object the trust does so makes it a little easier.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I have also heard that by putting it in a trust, you can pass it on to your relatives as the trust goes on, when you don't.

I imagine you could buy a cruise missile with less hassle. Look at all the guns, gun accessories, and various other weapons that are bought and sold on the black market every day.

It's amazing that people's irrational actions based upon fear only cause the law abiding citizens to have problems getting many items. Sad to be more specific. I wish we, or those before us, would have crushed the stupidity of many of the laws that are out there before they got passed.

Suppressors are like people's visions of the Wild West. Neither one lives/lived up to the movie hype, yet that falsehood lives on.

VIP Member
    I'm in the process of going the Trust route right now. I haven't approached him but I think I can get a CLEO sign-off, BUT I like the Trust idea better. IMHO it is quite a bit "more private" than other methods.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Actually the cruise missile will be easier to get. Just hunt down an ATF agent, and tell him your there to pick up the Fast and Furious shipment!
    Last edited by archer51; October 19th, 2011 at 07:51 AM.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Just tell him that Eric Holder asked you to take it to Mexico for him. That should clear it all up.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    It's amazing that people's irrational actions based upon fear only cause the law abiding citizens to have problems getting many items. Sad to be more specific. I wish we, or those before us, would have crushed the stupidity of many of the laws that are out there before they got passed.
    I firmly believe that the 2nd amendment was the founding fathers way of putting a reset switch into the system. At the time of the founding, the citizens had access to weapons that were state of the art. While I am sure they knew that weapon technology would change, I doubt that they could have envisioned where it is today. Restrictions, however, largely serve to keep establishment in power by limiting the power available to the people. For this reason alone, these laws should have been sunk. Then again, we have reach a point in history where the law makers are no longer concerned with the will of the people. When the day arrives that revolution does come to the USA, this pretty much guarantees that it will be, at least initially, fought with guerrilla tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I went by to fill out the paperwork on my suppressor at the class 3 dealer,he asked if I was gonna put it on a "trust",I said no I'm gonna put it in my name,he said where you live,I said Edinburg,he said you won't get the Chief to sign off on it.I said the Sheriff can sign it right,he said yea,I said how much is a trust he said around $300 in lawyer fees.
    So first thing in the morning I gotta call in some favors,since I have made friends with a lot of people over time,I will either get a friend to vouch for me and get the Sheriff to sign it,or a lawyer I know may give me a freebie or a discount on the "trust" fees.If it's this hard to buy a suppressor, it's gonna be almost impossible to buy a cruise missile
    I have been talking to someone in my State about purchasing a silencer also. When I asked him about the trust costs he said that many of his customers set up their own trusts using Quicken Willmaker software. Has anyone here used that program and done it themselves?

Michael

nope, not me, But, because you can now legally (under WAshington State law) own a suppressor....try a post to/or search... Seattleguns.net...lots of men doing the trust thing here....just sayn

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Suppressors . . . phooey! I like my guns to go BANG!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    There are different kinds of trusts. The common ones are Living Revocable Trusts and Irrevocable Trusts. I have no idea if either is appropriate for your needs, nor do I know the requirements BATF has.

In Texas there is statutory language for the latter, an irrevocable trust, and you can just print it off the net. I don't know if that would do the job for getting what you want. I also don't know if there is statutory language here for a revocable trust.

If you can use an irrevocable trust, you don't need to spend a dime on a lawyer for creating it.

HOWEVER-- while both types of trusts are very useful for all sorts of things they have lots of potential pitfalls.

You need to talk to a lawyer about the implications of creating a trust -- as they go to estate planning and to IRS issues too.

Its easy to make a huge mess that will bite you or your children down the road. Be careful.

I once got tangled up in a mess due to a trust and it cost me 25K in legal fees.
    rolyat63 and Rock and Glock like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I have read of folks doing their own trusts but I just paid a lawyer $250.00 for a NFA Trust. It is very similar in construct as my revocable living trust but it has a 2A lawyer's phone number with it. It also helps if you want to have co-trustees where you may want to have a sibling or son/daughter to have legal access the NFA item without your being present.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Senior Moderator
    I'm glad to hear that your dealer got the package.

If you have an NFA hostile Sheriff or Police Chief, the trust is the easiest way to go. It eliminates putting up with anti-gun,anti-freedom mental midgets, but you also don't have to provide photos or prints. In fact, just the other day, I heard of a Form 4 that was blank on the back side getting approved by the ATF.

It also has the advantage of legally allowing your family members or anyone noted on the trust the ability to shoot or possess your stuff. If one of your kids wants to go shoot your suppressed rifle out on the back 40, he can do it without any hassles or worries.

Since no one stops at just one can, once you are set up as a Trust, it'll be a lot easier in the future to buy not only suppressors, but SBS's, SBR's or even AOW's.

There aren't really any disadvantages of going the trust route other than the initial lawyer fee, but from what I have seen it is well worth it.
    CaptSmith likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links