Shipping Half a Gun using FEDEX?

This is a discussion on Shipping Half a Gun using FEDEX? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got word that I am deploying to Afghanistan in a few weeks, my Brigade Sergeant Major came down and said hey guess what. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

I just got word that I am deploying to Afghanistan in a few weeks, my Brigade Sergeant Major came down and said hey guess what. My wife will be leaving the house we are renting near Fort Bragg and moving back up to Michigan. Due to different state laws it will be illegal to transport a complete pistol via car because they are not registered in her name. My question is would it be legal to strip the pistol down and send it back to Michigan using FEDEX or UPS. I'm pretty sure that she will be legally able to transport the other half in the car without any other issues. I'm going to check with the state LE agency to ensure transporting gun parts is legal. Just wondering what you guys thought.

The frame is the actual firearm in the eyes of the law, as it is the serialized part. So all the normal laws apply to that half.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I would specifically check to see if it was illegal for her to transport it/them, even if they are not registered to her. For instance if she bought a pistol face-to-face in a state where legal, it would not be registered to her.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I would specifically check to see if it was illegal for her to transport it/them, even if they are not registered to her. For instance if she bought a pistol face-to-face in a state where legal, it would not be registered to her.
    Since when are pistols registered to anyone on the federal level? If it is going out of state, I don't even see an issue. I can't even see why carrying it in the car would even be a problem. Somebody help me understand this..
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I'm not sure if MI has Firearm owner cards etc.,If I'm right you can have the guns shipped to an FFL in Mi,when she gets there she can fill out a 4473 in her name and take possession of the guns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Since when are pistols registered to anyone on the federal level? If it is going out of state, I don't even see an issue. I can't even see why carrying it in the car would even be a problem. Somebody help me understand this..
    Its not. But IIRC, in Michigan, they are registered, and that would be his wife's final destination.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I'm not one to be a rule breaker but.....Put them in the car on the bottom of all your stuff and let her drive them home. There are laws that allow a person to transport firearms across state lines for the very reason you are wanting to do so.

Google peaceable journey law.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    I believe she can transport it without a problem. The only state that would have any question is Michigan, since that is her final destination. If I remember correctly Michigan gives you 30 days after moving there to register them.

Disregard on the 30 day rule, it applys to active duty military, not spouses.

I'd check with the Michigan grass roots organization to see what needs to be done.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I believe you can also ship it to yourself at another location without having to go thru all the ffl stuff.

I know of two legal ways to do this. The first is to ship the entire pistol to an FFL and your wife can pick it up there after filling out the 4473, They usaully charge 20 or 30 bucks for the service.

The other way is to empty the gun, lock it in a case, and store the ammo on the opposite end of the car, say in the glove box. You could also strip the pistol and store different parts in different areas of the car.

As far as I know, there is nothing illegal about transporting a weapon that belongs to your spouse or to the household across state lines. As someone else metioned, there is no federal firearms registry, so who is to say the gun doesn't belong to her?

You could ship any parts except the Fire control group. That's the "gun", and should contain the serial number.

Without that, the other parts are just machined steel.
    But that doesn't solve your problem, because she might as well take the whole gun instead of just the trigger group.

OPSEC!

Dont speak to me about OPSEC!!!!

Clearly you needed to be reminded. Granted, I will admit that most of the people on this site are assumed safe, for good reason, but keep in mind that anything you post on a public forum is just that - public. There have been reports from Al Jazeera that groups are looking at American military and like-type internet sites and forums for any info they can use. I'd be willing to bet that while your orders aren't classified, they are FOUO. Just be careful man.

OpJ

First off I did not state dates, times, mode of travel or the location that I am traveling from any stops that I might be carrying. I know OPSEC procedures like the back of my hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links