Anti-gun teacher's assignment to her students at Lord Fairfax Community College

This is a discussion on Anti-gun teacher's assignment to her students at Lord Fairfax Community College within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; VCDL has not called for a letter writing campaign. However, as a private citizen, I send the following email to the President of the college ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By GunGeezer
  • 4 Post By adric22
  • 2 Post By Eagleks
  • 2 Post By Dadsnugun
  • 2 Post By Archie

Thread: Anti-gun teacher's assignment to her students at Lord Fairfax Community College

VIP Member

Thumbs down Anti-gun teacher's assignment to her students at Lord Fairfax Community College

VCDL has not called for a letter writing campaign.

However, as a private citizen, I send the following email to the President of the college [ Contact Us | Lord Fairfax Community College ].

I see no connection between the course's title and lobbying for gun control.

What does lawful carrying of a firearm have to do with criminal behavior?

Why isn't she encouraging lawful carry as a deterrent to criminal behavior?

Will her student's work end up being used for her political purposes?

At a minimum, should not the assignment have asked for a pro and/or con discussion -- not only "stating why guns should not be allowed at LFCC and what you would do if everyone on the campus was carrying a loaded gun. [emphasis added]"?

----------

From a VA-ALERT.

[Re-posted with prior approval of VCDL]

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and “PVC” reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

Anti-gun teacher's assignment to her students at Lord Fairfax Community College

An anti-gun professor at Lord Fairfax Community College, Alaina Cassel, is giving a writing assignment to her PSY 255 (Psychological Aspects of Criminal Behavior) students:

"Write a proposed letter to Attorney General Cuccinelli stating why guns should not be allowed at LFCC and what you would do if everyone on the campus was carrying a loaded gun."

I don't see a connection between the course's title and lobbying for gun control. What does lawful carrying of a firearm have to do with criminal behavior? Why isn't she encouraging lawful carry as a deterrent to criminal behavior?

I do, however, see the potential for those letters to be mailed to the Attorney General, giving the Attorney General the wrong perception of the students' true beliefs.

Alaina Cassel has taken a position on gun control before, a seeming fan of Michael Moore's gun-control propaganda film, "Bowling for Columbine":

Psychology Resource Center for Students

Student Resources for Psychology
    Psych on the Screen
    Bowling for Columbine: A Documentary on the Making of Two Killers

By Elaine Cassel

Michael Moore’s film Bowling for Columbine explores the origins of violence in Columbine High School killers Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris. Moore, the quirky filmmaker whose movies are referred to as pseudo-documentaries (because they blend reportorial and staged sequences), explores the origins of the special kind of home-grown violence that, in 2000, led Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris to arm themselves with firearms and kill thirteen people in Columbine High School in a Denver, Colorado suburb before they killed themselves.

Bowling for Columbine’s main purpose is to explore the gun culture in the United States. America’s love affair with the gun has been much documented by sociologists. Psychologists write about the role of guns in triggering violence, when combined with risk factors such as youth, anger, and alcohol. Moore reports on the role of the National Rifle Association, one of the most vociferous and wealthy lobbying organizations in the United States, who lobby against virtually any control on gun access and use. Moore interviews NRA spokesman and macho American hero, Charlton Heston, who says that the second amendment to the U.S. Constitution (which refers to the rights of citizens to bear arms), is more important than the first amendment (which embodies the rights of freedom of speech, religion, and association).

More than half of all homes in the United States have at least one firearm, but, Moore discovers, Canadians actually have more guns per capita than do Americans. So why are there so many more deaths in the U.S.? Moore suggests, by interviewing Americans, that we are a fearful country, obsessed with gated communities and locked doors. Statistics, however, indicate that having guns in the home creates a higher risk that the inhabitants will be injured or killed by the very gun they bought for protection, at the hands of an intruder, acquaintance, or family member (either accidentally or on purpose).

Long ago, Albert Bandura’s famous "Bobo" doll experiment found that children learned aggression from watching models behave aggressively. Moore reports on the murder of a first-grade student in a Michigan classroom by a boy who brought a gun from home, pointing it at the child and pulling the trigger as he had no doubt seen done at home by his father, who was a known drug dealer.

America has the laxest gun laws of any Western country. Laws in most states protect the rights of citizens to defend themselves and their property with violence. In America, law enforcement officers are taught to shoot to kill, not to maim. We are a country built on gunpowder—massacres of Native Americans and their livestock were possible through gun power.

The NRA says that "guns don’t kill people, people do." But people learn to kill with guns through the processes of operant and social conditioning. Bowling for Columbine depicts what sociologists, social psychologists, and criminologists have known for years. Gun violence in the United States is an epidemic, with no end in sight. Guns are a way of life—and death—in the USA.

Elaine Cassel, Marymount University and Lord Fairfax Community College

---

Professor Cassel is certainly entitled to her (misguided) opinion on gun control, but I don't like how she is cramming it down her student's throats under the guise of a "criminal behavior" class and in a way that the student's work could end up being used for her political purposes.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Charlton Heston was exactly right. If we didn't have the 2nd., we wouldn't have the 1st. There is nothing criminal about law abiding citizens practicing their Constitutional right to "keep and bear arms". Note to Prof. Cassel, if you want to save more lives, ban cars. Note to Michael Moore, go on a diet.
    tkruf likes this.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Statistics, however, indicate that having guns in the home creates a higher risk that the inhabitants will be injured or killed by the very gun they bought for protection, at the hands of an intruder, acquaintance, or family member (either accidentally or on purpose).

Good Lord, people are still using this thoroughly debunked "statistic"??
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Statistics, however, indicate that having guns in the home creates a higher risk that the inhabitants will be injured or killed by the very gun they bought for protection, at the hands of an intruder, acquaintance, or family member (either accidentally or on purpose).

Good Lord, people are still using this thoroughly debunked "statistic"??
    Well, just to play devil's advocate for a moment. Mathematically speaking, it is correct. Sort of like saying that buying a lottery ticket creates a higher risk that I'll win the lottery. Where as not having a lottery ticket is a guarantee that I will not win the lottery. By not having a gun in the home, statistically speaking you have zero chance of being injured or killed by your own gun.

Obviously, I agree it is a fairly pointless argument though.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    DaveH, would you please confirm the name of the class, ""criminal behavior"? Do you have a class number, and or campus / date time that we could also reference?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    DaveH, would you please confirm the name of the class, ""criminal behavior"? Do you have a class number, and or campus / date time that we could also reference?
    I did not personally vet the complaint that started this issue rolling.

FWIIW, the Associate Professor is listed as having an office at the Fauquier Campus.

I'm about 230 mile SW of the campus. So, I do not have all the details.

As I understand it, the class is:

PSY 255 Psychological Aspects of Criminal Behavior (3 Cr.)
    Studies psychology of criminal behavior. Includes topics
    such as violent and nonviolent crime, sexual offenses,
    insanity, addiction, white collar crime, and other deviant
    behaviors. Provides a background for law enforcement
    occupations. Reading prerequisite required. Prerequisite: PSY
    125, 200, 201, or divisional approval. Lecture 3 hours per week.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

The NRA says that "guns don’t kill people, people do." But people learn to kill with guns through the processes of operant and social conditioning. Bowling for Columbine depicts what sociologists, social psychologists, and criminologists have known for years. Gun violence in the United States is an epidemic, with no end in sight. Guns are a way of life—and death—in the USA.

I have 3 degrees... 1 in Sociology and 2 in Psychology.... and never has anyone ever suggested such a connection as made here in those fields, that weren't considered a total quacks in the first place. And my emphasis in Sociology was on deviant / pathological & criminal behavior.

This is a joke, and to cite such stupidity, shows how it's a political agenda ... not an academic one.
    tkruf and sixsccw like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Well, just to play devil's advocate for a moment. Mathematically speaking, it is correct. Sort of like saying that buying a lottery ticket creates a higher risk that I'll win the lottery. Where as not having a lottery ticket is a guarantee that I will not win the lottery. By not having a gun in the home, statistically speaking you have zero chance of being injured or killed by your own gun.

Obviously, I agree it is a fairly pointless argument though.
    Your math is indeed correct for the bumper sticker version.

However, the statistic to which she refers (if I recall correctly) says a gun owner is "42 times more likely to be shot by his own firearm." I'm not entirely sure how those geniuses arrived at "42" considering that (as you pointed out) a person who doesn't own a gun has a mathematical chance of ZERO and the only real differentiation here is "a" chance vs. "no" chance.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    To her 'credit' she probably believes that everyone there has the same beliefs as she does. Insanity blinds you to other options.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I have 3 degrees... 1 in Sociology and 2 in Psychology.... and never has anyone ever suggested such a connection as made here in those fields, that weren't considered a total quacks in the first place. And my emphasis in Sociology was on deviant / pathological & criminal behavior.

This is a joke, and to cite such stupidity, shows how it's a political agenda ... not an academic one.
    It's based on what she learned watching Bowling For Columbine.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    It's based on what she learned watching Bowling For Columbine.
    ...and we all know what a stickler for proper, factual representation of data Michael Moore is...
    Gforty and msgt/ret like this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member

Some improvement -- not much, IMHO

>> From: Cheryl Thompson-Stacy <CThompson-Stacy@lfcc.edu>
    >> Date: October 21, 2011 12:29:52 PM EDT
    >> To:
    >> Subject: RE: Message via the LFCC Web site: [Unprofessional Behavior]
    >>
    >> Thank you very much for your email. The assignment you referred to in your email below has been revised by the professor.
    >>
    >> Dr. Cheryl Thompson-Stacy
    >> President
    >> Lord Fairfax Community College

---------

I wish she had said how it has been modified.

If the assignment has been modified to allow the students to pick a side, then those who support gun rights expose themselves to reprisal.

Will reply to the President to that effect.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    More than half of all homes in the United States have at least one firearm, but, Moore discovers, Canadians actually have more guns per capita than do Americans.
    Someone help me with the math here...is this a low Canadian population that is skewing the numbers, or is that statement flat out wrong, as I thought that Canada had a gun grab along the lines of the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Your math is indeed correct for the bumper sticker version.

However, the statistic to which she refers (if I recall correctly) says a gun owner is "42 times more likely to be shot by his own firearm." I'm not entirely sure how those geniuses arrived at "42" considering that (as you pointed out) a person who doesn't own a gun has a mathematical chance of ZERO and the only real differentiation here is "a" chance vs. "no" chance.
    Hitch Hikers Guide to the Universe.

Followed by "Don't Panic" if you find yourself on the wrong end of a gun wielding criminal, just comply.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Just as clarification

Actually the '... 42 times...' statistic was something on the order of a homeowner who kept a gun in the house was something like EIGHT times more likely to have the weapon used against the homeowner or other innocent resident than to use the firearm in lawful and proper defense of life or family.

It turns out, a person who owns a gun for self defense has a 42 times greater chance of defending - using the gun properly - than of being a victim of said gun. The original article has been pretty much laughed out of the literature. The basis for calculating the original claim is demonstrably faulty. The rebuttal was done very handily by John Lott.

To the immediate problem: This Alaina Cassel is a leftist psychologist. Her 'feelings' on any subject are far more important to her than any facts, evidence, proof or reality. That's why trying to reason with them is so futile. They don't reason, they emote.

Anyone who cites Michael Moore in support of a position is pretty much out of reality.
    tkruf and atctimmy like this.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

VIP Member

Thumbs up Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC) professor withdraws her anti-gun assignment

Good outcome.

A big "THANK YOU" to any who joined in the .

From a VA-ALERT.

[Re-posted with prior approval of VCDL]

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and “PVC” reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

Lord Fairfax Community College (LFCC) professor withdraws her anti-gun assignment under pressure from you!

My source has confirmed that the assignment for students to write Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli a letter asking him to not let students carry guns at LFCC has been withdrawn. The professor didn't like that people were going over her head - the President of the College got quite a few emails from VCDL members. ;-)

-------------------------------------------
    ************************************************** *************************

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
    dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
    Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links