Anyone Owning A DPMS Orical .223/5.56 Rifle

This is a discussion on Anyone Owning A DPMS Orical .223/5.56 Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please PM me if you have the time. I have a couple questions for those more knowledgable of the rifle. Thanks in advance,...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Diddle
  • 1 Post By OPFOR
  • 1 Post By Dadsnugun

Thread: Anyone Owning A DPMS Orical .223/5.56 Rifle

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Please PM me if you have the time. I have a couple questions for those more knowledgable of the rifle.

Thanks in advance,
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    The only thing I know about it is that it's called the Oracle. :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I was just wanting to get some info on sights. Iron or other wise. I posted a few threads below but had no takers so I thought I would try again. I just don't want to spend hard earned money on junk. I know absolutely zero on accessories for these rifles so I am at the mercy of those that are more "in the know"

Thanks, OPFOR and Best!
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Is your question about optics, or about the rifle? I (and many others) might have something to offer on the optics front, even if not for that particular rifle. ARs from different sources have more in common than they have differences, after all.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

AR sights I know a couple things about. DPMS Oracles, I do not, aside from knowing they are an AR
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Is your question about optics, or about the rifle? I (and many others) might have something to offer on the optics front, even if not for that particular rifle. ARs from different sources have more in common than they have differences, after all.
    I can't really decide whether to install iron sights or some sort of scope type optic(s) Firstly, I know absolutely nothing about scopes but I would certainly like to be educated!
    Second, I have been looking at some sights from Troy Industries. And I would like to keep to keep the profile of the sight or optics down low gloser to the barel.
    Af far as I can see all I would ever use this for is plinking or target shooting. Basically something to play with occasionally. The rifle has two Picatinny rails One forward about 1.5" long and one aft which is about 6" long.

Forgive me if I sound like a total idiot but I know very little about the AR platform and the multitude of options available for it.

Thanks for your help!
    Mauldintiger likes this.
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    A set of BUIS (back-up iron sights) is always a good idea, even if you do eventually put some sort of glass optic on it. After that, it is entirely dependent upon the role that you envision for the rifle. You say that this will primarily be a plinker - to what ranges? If you'll never shoot past 100 yds, a 0x magnification red dot or holosight may be ideal. If you want more precision, or the ability to reach out much further, then you will want some sort of magnification. No offense at all intended, but the Oracle is an "entry level" AR - it most likely will not be a long-distance tack driver in the accuracy department. Certainly accurate enough for a plinker, however, and with that in mind I think you would be very well served with a Nikon or Leopold 3-9x scope, appropriate offerings from both can be had for around $100. You can go cheaper, but either of these scopes will provide good glass, good durability, and good overall value instead of simply being the least expensive thing you can find.

I love the AR as a plinking rifle for many reasons, one of which is the very versatility that you are discovering. You will likely find yourself changing what you want to do with the rifle a few times, simply because you can...and there's nothing wrong with that! So, in short, my advice is to get a set of quality (not the absolute most expensive, but not bottom of the barrel either) BUIS, and shoot it that way for a while. If you then decide that you want something faster and easier for relatively close-up shooting, look at the red dot type scopes available (there are numerous discussions about them here and on other forums). If you find yourself looking for some magnification, drop a C-note on one of the scopes I mentioned (or similar - there are a few other choices out there in the same "value" category) and try shooting with the magnified optic. If at some point you find that you love the AR and want to step up to one of the upper-tier manufacturers, you'll find a ton of info on doing that on here as well.

Have fun!
    Mauldintiger likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    My $.02

First and foremost, you say that this rifle will be for occasional plinking; but if by any chance this rifle will also be a SHTF rifle, please please please make sure the first thing you do is put iron sights on it before any kind of optic. You can get some really nice back up sights that stay out of the way when using an optic but are spring loaded and flip up at the push of a button. Optics are more prone to breaking/failure than iron sights though, so it is good to atleast have them as a backup if using and scope/red dot.

As far as optics. I have always been a fan of a red dot over a scope. Granted, if you are shooting out past 100 yards the majority of the time, a scope is a way to go. But a rifle that would be used for the occasional target shooting and to have around if needed for protection, I find a good red dot to be superior to something with magnification.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I am an AR neophyte myself and have no knowledge of that specific rifle, but do know that there is a wealth of information about all things AR here: M4Carbine.net Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Regarding your sighting dilemma, I happen to love the ghost ring iron sights that came standard on my M&P 15 Sport. I use mine for plinking/target @ </= 200 yards, and, other than the rear sight working itself loose from the rail once when new, I've no complaints with the set up. Lots of folks seem to love the Red Dots at similar ranges, but I've never been able to develop an affinity for them. I have no idea why. Whatever you decide, have fun with your new weapon, and if it meets your requirements, don't let anyone convince you that you "need" something else. You know what they say about opinions, and for someone new to the platform, it's not always easy to separate the wheat from the chaff.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Youve got lots of good replys about sights and optics, but I can give a little thumbs-up on the rifle. I own the DPMS Sportical which is the same as the Oracle minus the forward assist. I use mine for coyote hunting so I have a good scope on mine. I shoot regular out to +200y. They are very good little carbine ARs for the price. Some cheaper upgrades you can do is buy some Magpul P-mags and replace the junk stock mags. Also the Magpul stocks and handguards are good.
    Keep her clean and have fun!
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Administrator
    Go to YOUTUBE search DPMS Oracle.

There are a few reviews and some shooting demo vids posted there. I've not watched any of them but, I just checked and they are there.

Don't search for a DPMS Orical because then you'll get nothing. It's Oracle.

I want to thank all of you for your input here. As I have said, I am sort of dumb in this area. I am leaning on Battle Sights from Troy Industries and a hi-rise scope. If this does not sound like a compatable pair, please advise me. I amnot sure what scope to go with or the hight of the mount to overcome the mini-iron sights. Help appreciated here, please. The Troy sights fold down so they shoule not interfer with the the scope.

I would appreciate some education on scopes in the $150.00 to $200.00 range and suggested nounts to elevate the above the iton sights. OR, perhaps a side (offset mount)

Again, I can not express enough thanks for your all's help.

Please have a pleasant weekend!
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    OK here is the deal on scopes. You can spend any amount you want but there are some good do it all scopes for under $200. OPFOR hit the nail on the head with Nikon and Leupold. Look at Nikon's Pro staff line. They have a nice 2 X 7 power scope out there for right around $110. I have one on a muzzle loader and it is very nice for such a low price.

You will need high or exra high (I prefer extar high) rings for an AR.

You can shop for rings and scopes here:

Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear MidwayUSA
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I also own an Oracle. I replaced the forend, grip and stock with Magpul, BUIS are Yankee Hill folding and they have a front sight that mounts on the Gas Block and for Optics I am using an EOTech. I am waiting for the Gen III Magnifier due out sometime late Spring. Most everything I have changed was replaced with Magpul.

The EOTech is kind of pricy but for me it works. Good luck.

Links