Training Pistol

Training Pistol

This is a discussion on Training Pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently bought my son a USP .45. Since he is new to pistol shooting, he still has to master a few techniques. Learning these ...

Thread: Training Pistol

Training Pistol

I recently bought my son a USP .45. Since he is new to pistol shooting, he still has to master a few techniques. Learning these techniques with a .45 can get a little pricy, considering the cost of ammo.

Does anyone know of a .22 that would be a good training pistol for him? Something that has the same grip size and angle as the USP would be ideal. The safety must operate the same way, that is down = fire.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    try a 1911 converson kit , or a smith .422 both have controls as mentioned .. someone may by now make a .22 conversion for that hk too , just food for thought .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Also consider a used USP in 9mm.....
    ammo at about 1/2....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member
    ...just did a Google search and nothing on a USP .22LR kit....I hope one does appear....I use my Beretta 92/96 .22LR kit all of the time for training and general fun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I don't know of anything off the top of my head that resembles a USP in size or feel, but a Ruger MkII is a fine trainer.

Sig has a .22 called the Mosquito if I remember correctly, that would likely be a closer mate as far as size.

Wow, this is weired, I was just going to ask about a training pistol as well today and was looking at a used Sig Mosquito .22 LR today.

Here it is if you would like to check it out.

http://sigarms.com/Products/ShowCata...0&productid=98

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I don't know, maybe some people feel different here, but train with what you shoot. This is real life, it is obvious that I don't know you but you sound like you are very capable of training your son. Help him work through the problems and really get to know the gun. Now is he old enough to CCW or is he just starting to shoot ? If so .22 is fine, now if he is CCW train like he fights. Just my 2cents..
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

A person really should train with what they intend to shoot... However, if ammo cost reduces somebody from practicing as much I highly recomend they go with a .22 conversion. I'd rather shoot alot of a different ammo, than very little with the "right" ammo.

imho
    Beretta 92FS

I agree also with "train with what you got" but the fact of the matter is you can develope critical muscle memory by practicing! And practicing with .22LR more and spending less on ammo is a good thing. You can still train with your actual carry weapon also but with less rounds, you are not selling yourself short at all doing this IMO, you are still shooting/training at least. If you had to buy the expensive stuff all the time you will shoot/train much less if you ask me. Continues training with a training weapon and still shooting your carry of choice the same amount if you didn't have a "training" weapon can't be bad.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Administrator
    Well, if he just wants to get in some extra practice with draw from leather & presentation with that specific firearm...in the house. ~ You could pick up a replica USP Airsoft Pistol
    Just something I'm tossing against the wall to see if it sticks.

I have no idea if that will help you out at all.

I think the good one is the all metal KWA with the gas blowback slide.
    Search Ebay for it.

I shoot a lot of .22 and air pistol. Both help (a lot), and I can do air pistol at home. I used to shoot down the hall at a target, but since I got married, well, you know... I agree, practice as much as you can with your carry weapon, but 200-300 rounds of .45 or .40 or 9mm is a lot more expensive than 1000 rounds of .22.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Well, if he just wants to get in some extra practice with draw from leather & presentation with that specific firearm...in the house. ~ You could pick up a replica USP Airsoft Pistol
    Just something I'm tossing against the wall to see if it sticks.

I have no idea if that will help you out at all.

I think the good one is the all metal KWA with the gas blowback slide.
    Search Ebay for it.
    well said....
    these things are great for practicing sight picture drills and can be used inside your home (eyewear of course)
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

First of all, what a nice thing to give your son. Good work!

I'm a firm believer in starting out with something you can shoot a LOT. A .22 is great for a first handgun, because you can easilty run thousands of rounds through it for next to nothing in cost, and you can work on shooting fundamentals without the report and recoil of the big bores.

While I'm also in agreement with BlueLion that you should train on what you shoot, I think that a firm grasp of the fundamentals can be had with any quality pistol, and when you're first learning, you'll progress faster if you practice more (provided you're using good practice techniques). When the basics are there, you can handle any weapon with a modicum of skill. Then you concentrate on that weapon in your training.

My first handgun was a Ruger Single Six .22. The thousands of rounds I put through that pistol have paid off over the years in shooting every manner, size and shape of handgun, just like my first .22 rifle (Ithaca single-shot) helped me learn sound marksmanship and to make every shot count.

For your sun, I'd recommend a good .22 auto. Maybe one of the Rugers. Besides, it's a great thing to have another pistol around!

Keep us posted on your decisions, and how your son's progressing.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Thanks for all of your responses.

Yesterday, I bought a .22 Ruger Mark III 22/45. It has a grip angle that is the same as a 1911, thus the “45” in the name.

The safety operates the same as my son‘s USP (down = fire) and the balance is similar to the USP.

Brand new, it was $230.

We took it to the range and he put 350 rounds through it. He had one jam that was a result of the round not feeding into the chamber properly (maybe limp-wrist). Otherwise, it shot fine.

I could see he was getting better as he shot more, but I also realize that he will need to put hundreds of rounds downrange before he will be able to start driving tacks.

I did a little math and come to the conclusion that after about 1500 rounds, shooting .22s instead of .45s will pay for the Ruger.

After 3000 rounds or so, we will start using the USP more.

Again, thanks to all for your thoughts.

Skip the Sig .22. The Ruger MK III is a fine gun.

Sponsored Links