Sig Mosquito .22 LR "Training"

This is a discussion on Sig Mosquito .22 LR "Training" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was looking at a used one today at the gun shop. My girl friend and I are taking an 8 hour combat pistol and ...

Thread: Sig Mosquito .22 LR "Training"

Sig Mosquito .22 LR "Training"

I was looking at a used one today at the gun shop. My girl friend and I are taking an 8 hour combat pistol and low light training class coming up in September.

Here's the thing, I only have larger caliber gun's .357 mag - .45 ACP.

It will be difficult for her to shoot any of those all day and the .357 mag is a six inch 686 so shooting .38's out of it is an option but not for her all day.

We both need 750 rounds to bring to class and out of my gun's I'd take my Colt Commander .45. .45 ammo is not the cheapest and blowing through that much brass in a day add's up. If I borrowed a XD in 9mm my trainer has for her to use I'd still have to buy the ammo for it. So I figure $330.00 in ammo cost doing it this way. The training site is 180 miles one way so gas cost will be about $60.00, class for the both of us is $160.00 so as you can see this will get expensive.

I am thinking of re-investing the .45 and 9mm ammo cost into buying a Sig Mosquito 22LR I found for $350.00 and just buy the .22 LR ammo for $80.00 or less for 1,500 rounds. This way I'd have something to show for the money spent (the Sig) as well as have a gun we both can shoot and use for this training class spending way less on ammo.

So the actual question is, how is the Sig Mosquito .22LR? It look's and feel's good and I will be picking it up tomorrow or Monday unless otherwise advised from all of you. I am sure the Mosquito is cool, I just wanted to check first.

Here's the link to the Mosquito
    http://sigarms.com/Products/ShowCata...0&productid=98

ETA: What about the Walther P22 also?

I just checked on both and my dealer I use all the time has the Mosquito for $360.00 brand new, the other store I was at today had a used one (with a few battle scars and unknown rounds) for $369.95, can you say I don't think so? The Walther P22 is $295.00 by the way.

Thanks for your help,

Ti
    Last edited by Ti Carry; August 11th, 2006 at 07:05 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

2. Remove Ads

You could get a 22 conversion if your 45 ACP is 1911 style (some other weapons as well but defanitly 1911).

Also Ruger makes a MIII 22/45 is set up like a 1911.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

I'll check that out, but who makes a .22 conversion for a Colt Combat Commander?

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

Is the combat commander a "standard" 1911? If so this might work.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...+kit&noImage=0
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

no one makes one for a commander

Yea, I didn't think one was made for a commander slide! Thank's Bud.

Anyone else have anything to post about the Mosquito, P22 or the Ruger 22/45?

Ti.

either the mark II standard ruger or the 22/45 is my choice they make a great gun with little problems in a 22 auto

Cool Bud, thank's!

I also found Fed's P22 thread http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=12814 with some good info. I do like the idea of the 22/45 MK III set up like the 1911, this would make for better training.

Ti.

i take it back

http://www.22lrconversions.com/1911-pg.htm

Ceiner makes one for the commander now .. but i have heard customer service is non existent and there are some problems kits out there

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    So the actual question is, how is the Sig Mosquito .22LR? It look's and feel's good and I will be picking it up tomorrow or Monday unless otherwise advised from all of you. I am sure the Mosquito is cool, I just wanted to check first.
    As a SIG guy I hate to say this, but you should go over to the SIGForum (sigforum.com) and do a search. I think I remember reading that it has ongoing problems.

Having said that I've never had the chance to fire one, so I don't have any first hand knowledge about it.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    i love my mosquito as it has the same grip as its bigger brothers....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

As the proud owner of a Sig Mosquito, which I used as a primary carry pistol, i can say it was excellent for what it is, But its very
    Ammo senseitive. However it should make a good training tool.
    I stopped using mine as a carry when my Arthritis was improved
    now I carry a Glock 19, But thats anouther story.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ill just point out that a standard .22 kit will go onto a commander or an officers frame and the only downside is a gap in the dust cover .. it works , it just dont look real good .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have heard some bad reports on the Mosquito. I've heard alot more on the Walther P22. I've never fired either to be honest. Both look cool but I have to recommend the Ruger MK II or 22/45. I have a 6" bull barrel stainless MK II that I bought used for $200 from my uncle. It is a great gun and the Federal bulk pack works flawlessly. I've actually never had a jam with the Federal 525 box but I have had quite a few with the Remington 525 box.

It only makes since that you buy the 22/45 because it is even less expensive than the MK II and might be up to $100 cheaper or more then the Sig. Also the obvious fact that it similar to the grip of the 1911.

Links