Rude awakening (fire)

Rude awakening (fire)

This is a discussion on Rude awakening (fire) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have posted on here before about how much brass I have and that Over time I collected a bunch from an indoor gun range,One ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Superhouse 15

Thread: Rude awakening (fire)

Rude awakening (fire)

I have posted on here before about how much brass I have and that Over time I collected a bunch from an indoor gun range,One thing about firearms is that all the powder in a cartridge may not burn up when it is fired,I had sorted a bunch of brass in the past,and had a 5 gallon bucket of brass smaller than 380,like 22lr,32,25 acp etc.,I use 22 lr brass to make 223 bullets so had a bunch laid out on top of a board,
    I was using my metal chop saw to cut some metal and it was shooting out sparkies,all of a sudden I heard a "whoosh" over the sound of the saw and as I glanced to my left my brain engaged and FIRE came to mind,apparently some wayward sparkies hit some unburnt powder which ignited and then other powder ignited,did I mention that there are several unfired 22's in the mix from rounds that FTF,but fire will cause them to go off like popcorn,I used a bucket to smother the fire and then poured some water on it,then removed the buckets outside where if sumpin reignited it wouldn't burn nothing important.
    So things I learned,don't make sparkies around uncleaned brass,make sure I got an ABC fire extinguisher in arms reach whenever I'm doing anything such as cutting steel or welding where something could catch on fire,and anybody that doesn't have a home fire extinguisher please take notice and go get one,you never know when a fire extinguisher being used quickly can save your house or apartment from becoming engulfed in flames
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Wow! I'm happy that you are OK.

+1 on fire extinguishers. ABCs in the shop, kitchen and laundry.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

VIP Member
    Cutting or grinding should be done outdoors if possible. I had a buddy in Oklahoma that I shot black powder with, that found it out quite dramatically. He was doing some grinding out in his shed. He always stored his possible bag and powder horn out there when not shooting. After a match he had refilled his powder horn, and as he was finishing got called away. He left the powder horn laying on the work bench without putting the plug back in it. Later that day he went out to do a project and didn't think about the powder horn. Started grinding away, and a spark went into the powder horn. The biggest piece left of the powder horn was about the size of a half dollar, took out the window there at the work bench, and ruined the shorts he was wearing.......well I guess I should say he ruined the short!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thank you for reminding everybody. ABC extinguishers cost less than $20 and BC (for the kitchen) ones are even less. Smoke detectors are sometimes free from your local FD and less than $10 to buy.

Glad you're safe.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    On a scale of 1-10 that rates a pucker factor of 15, glad everything turned out ok.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Next time you're grinding and cutting in the garage, make sure you turn so the sparks go on your gas cans instead of the empty brass. Really, glad no serious damage was done. I never thought about "empty" brass "going off"!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Glad you're safe. Sounds like an inexpensive lesson.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Administrator
    Put lids on your buckets
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Next time you're grinding and cutting in the garage, make sure you turn so the sparks go on your gas cans instead of the empty brass. Really, glad no serious damage was done. I never thought about "empty" brass "going off"!
    It wasn't just the empty brass,it was brass that had been swept up off the floor at a gun range and had all the dirt ,burnt powder and apparently unburnt powder mixed in.,Complacency can cause bad things,and in the future I'm cutting and welding outside.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    sounds like you acted slow in a hurry

when the unexpected happens, thats the best way to handle it.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Sounds like a lesson for all...glad it was a minor incident.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links