First "gun" for my 5 year old

This is a discussion on First "gun" for my 5 year old within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I started my son off with airsoft at 4, then bb at 5, and now for his 6th he got a .22 Crickett (loves it)....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First "gun" for my 5 year old

I started my son off with airsoft at 4, then bb at 5, and now for his 6th he got a .22 Crickett (loves it).

2. Remove Ads

I suggest a lever action 22, like the Henry models I see at Walmart often. They are pretty cheap & the youngsters can still use them as they grow. You can always load only one round at a time till they learn control and respect.

Starting with a Cricket means you have nowhere to go but another weapon. Starting with a weapon you can control and dole out ammo at your discretion is the way I would go. Heck, it may end up as a squirrel gun eventually.

All the above considered, bear in mind that I bought a Walther P22 before my son was walking with the intent that it would be his first pistol. I am sure that once he hits about 5 years old there will be a 22 long gun in his future. Once he masters that I am sure my 20 gauge will end up in his hands, etc, etc, etc. Then we can talk about getting him a S&W 500 for his 6th birthday... (I am sure this message will end up endorsed by Deadguy eventually for that comment).
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    1st off welcome. I would start him off with AirSoft and teach safety safety safety.
    Same here, My son has an air soft handgun, he is now strong enough to cock it himself, and we work heavily on the "4 RULES" when ever we go out to shoot. I shoot a regular pellet pistol since this is a low key, no headphones kind of outing on the back porch mostly shooting a couple cans/pie pan we throw out in the yard.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Started mine off with a chipmunk/cricket,and a cheapo Tasco red dot 7 years ago,still have it and have passed it on to my other kid's.we'll set it up to shoot balloons,target clays at 25 meters with 50 rounds and them being single shot=fun,fun,fun.some type of reaction target always seemed to keep them interested longer,good luck,welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
    Looking for something to learn this boy up right with. A pellet gun crossed my mind, but for about the same price I could get an entry level .22 (cricket). What would you suggest I start him out with?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you're supervising the training, just make sure the eyes and ears are protected.
    357and40 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My twins first got Nerf dart guns, single shot with a red light "laser sight" underneath. That proved that they could be trusted with the rules. The next is a single shot pellet gun, single cocking stroke so that me or SWMBO has to cock it. Red Ryder BB guns will be the first repeating guns. I have a few .22s put aside for them. Got a couple Stevens Favorite singke shots and a couple Savage 101 "revolvers". I haven't decided what for a first centerfire yet, I own several S&W 422/622/2213 pistols as suppressor hosts so they'l likely be the first repeating handguns. I imagine 10/22s as first repeating rifles.

But the basic plan goes like this: single shot BB, repeating BB, single shot .22 rifle, single shot .22 pistol, repeating .22 rifle, repeating .22 pistol. Centerfire rifle / shotgun, centerfire pistol as young adults.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I started mine out on a Cricket. For the money I don't think you can go wrong.

What the Cricket does, is force them to make the shot count being that it is a single shot bolt action, also with the rear peep sight it takes a lot of the learning curve out of getting correct sight picture and aiming. I have yet to let my son, now 8, use a scope on anything. This year I got him a H&R youth HandiRifle in 243. It didn't take him long at all to adjust to the open sights on it from the peep sight on the Cricket. Within 6 to 8 shots he was shooting less than an inch from the center of the bullseye at 20 yds with the open sights. The increase in weight and size is the biggest obstacle he found when jumping from the Cricket to the H&R.

After a while with the Cricket he became proficient enough that very rarely does he need any help with any of the functions. I can sit back and watch him have fun, check for safe handling techniques and see him perform.

Whether you get a pellet gun or a "real" gun, they still have to be supervised. Although I don't know if they make any pellet guns that are as light or as short as the Crickets.

Good luck and enjoy the time with the youngster. Make it fun. If you can find someplace to shoot that will allow cans or swinging targets or other stuff that reacts it doesn't become boring to them like plain old paper.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Man, the responses I've gotten so far are epic. Thanks so much. I get so much useful info from the site. I'm sold on the air rifle since his age makes ear plugs difficult and the noise may make him a but too nervous. Plus the benefit of shooting any time in the basement is a plus.

I'll probably start with cleaning wads at low pressure to ease him into it.

I do have to say, seeing him hold a 10-22 was something to behold!

Thanks again for the great replies!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links