First "gun" for my 5 year old

This is a discussion on First "gun" for my 5 year old within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looking for something to learn this boy up right with. A pellet gun crossed my mind, but for about the same price I could get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First "gun" for my 5 year old

Looking for something to learn this boy up right with. A pellet gun crossed my mind, but for about the same price I could get an entry level .22 (cricket). What would you suggest I start him out with?

Started mine out with a Walther P22. Then I stocked up on Super Colibri ammo. Perfect for a 5 year old in my mind. Super Colibri ammo doesn't bang, so the enjoy it more. It also does not have the power to cycle the action which limits them to one shot at a time. Mine love it. Started my daughter out at 4 years old with one.
    "If an awalu [freeman] should blind the eye of another awalu [freeman], they shall blind his eye"
    -Hammurabi (1792-1750 B.C.E.)

1st off welcome. I would start him off with AirSoft and teach safety safety safety.
    IAm_Not_Lost likes this.

Every kid ought to have memories of their first pellet gun!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

GM
    Welcome to the forum!

IMO a pellet gun would be the best. And I am sure you will enjoy it too
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! Pellet gun would be cheaper, and see if they like it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

my six year old has an airsoft, pellet gun and a crickett. she loves to shoot, love to see her focus..... safety is foremost
    so, about my sammich.......

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

I'll also vote for the pellet gun. One in .177 caliber, that way you can start him out shooting BB's then work up to pellets as he gets comfortable with it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

tts
    You could even opt to shoot cleaning pellets (little .177 cotton rounds) to mitigate safety concerns for the first few weeks. Then, upgrade to normal pellets.

Big5 has decent prices on pellet guns, I'd check there.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Have to recommend a pellet gun. Something that shoots .177 bbs, and pellets, so you can get the best of both. I started with a Daisy Grizzly at 14. From there- the rest of my family isn't so into guns- I bought first handgun at 22 (I still love nothing more than the roar of my .357mag ).

Start small, and non/less lethal. Let him get used to something that doesn't have a 'bang'. Once he's used to that, and gotten all the safety stuff down, then let him move up to a .22. Just my $.02.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

If most modern pellet guns shoot a pellet at 1150fps, why not just get a real .22 with Colibri rounds that only shoot around 900fps. That was my logic.
    "If an awalu [freeman] should blind the eye of another awalu [freeman], they shall blind his eye"
    -Hammurabi (1792-1750 B.C.E.)

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Sorry but getting a gun for a five year old just seems like a bad idea to me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Sorry but getting a gun for a five year old just seems like a bad idea to me.
    No one is talking about letting him have it on his own. If he's using it under adult supervision I see nothing wrong with it. Your never too young to learn safety, be it gun or anything else.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LS208 View Post
    If most modern pellet guns shoot a pellet at 1150fps, why not just get a real .22 with Colibri rounds that only shoot around 900fps. That was my logic.
    Adult air guns shoot that fast, but there are plenty of youth models that shoot 300fps and up. I would have said buy a Cricket a few years ago. Honestly, the newer models are junk. I found a 70's model I bought for my son. While it was a bit better than the newer ones, it still left a lot to be desired. But, I don't know of any other .22's that are that small and light. I bought my son a CZ Scout too, but he still likes that Cricket because it is so light and easy for him to handle.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Adult air guns shoot that fast, but there are plenty of youth models that shoot 300fps and up. I would have said buy a Cricket a few years ago. Honestly, the newer models are junk. I found a 70's model I bought for my son. While it was a bit better than the newer ones, it still left a lot to be desired. But, I don't know of any other .22's that are that small and light. I bought my son a CZ Scout too, but he still likes that Cricket because it is so light and easy for him to handle.
    I recently checked out the new crickets as well and came to the same conclusion.

IRT OP's question, I always tried to get my kid toys while he was young enough to play with them, which meant plenty of cap guns and airsoft guns. He'll outgrow them quicker than you can imagine and there will be plenty of time to get him more powerful guns later on. Plus (as others have mentioned), he had to demonstrate safe handling with the airsoft before he graduated to BB gun, and a safe track record for that before he graduates to a full-size .22, this Christmas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links