Participated in my first IDPA match...consider me 'hooked'

This is a discussion on Participated in my first IDPA match...consider me 'hooked' within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All I can say is, "wow." It's been a while since I had any tactical practice, although I've been carrying for 20+ years and have ...

Thread: Participated in my first IDPA match...consider me 'hooked'

Participated in my first IDPA match...consider me 'hooked'

All I can say is, "wow." It's been a while since I had any tactical practice, although I've been carrying for 20+ years and have LEO & Military family members. I took a few defensive courses back in the 90's, and have been putting a lot of hole in paper over the years. I was hesitant to try IDPA, as I figured I was a good marksman and feel it would be a safe environment to be around a lot of folks drawing, moving, and firing.

Well, I was wrong, and I'm totally hooked on IDPA now. Not only was it a tremendous amount of fun, it was safe and I learned so much. Like, learning that I'm not as good as I thought I was ;-) Punching holes in paper at 10 and 25 yds and getting tight groups is OK, but when you haveto move, retreat, use cover, and the adrenalin is pumping it's a whole new world. If you haven't tried it, I highly suggest you seek out a local match. $15 and 150 rounds of ammo were well worth it, can't wait for my next match. The Safety Officers were outstanding, and took time at each stage to critique and coach my performance.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

2. Remove Ads

Amen! My range runs a steel shoot every Tues night, which a I manage to hit about every other week. Shooting against reactive targets, moving, managing ammo, and doing it all against the perceived 'pressure' of the clock or other competitors is leaps and bounds above punching holes in paper from a fixed shooting station.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Welcome to action pistol shooting - just shooting in a range lane won't ever be enough again. For those readers who may be reluctant to give action pistol shooting a try, I encourage you to jump in as cmycek did and have some real fun shooting.

You got that right, it's a blast! The only down side is it costs me about $100.00 in .45 ammo per match. But hey, I'd rather blow it on ammo than dinner and roses for the wife. That's allot of bang for the bucks.

JD
    Administrator
    Kudos, going to your first match is the hardest part, going to your second match is the easiest.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Nice to hear, I am about to sign up. What gun do you use? your carry?

Yeah, I've been hooked on IDPA as well as USPSA. I don't even shoot from the booth at the indoor range anymore. That is like wasting ammo to me now! If I'm going to light off some ammo, I want to at least be doing it with my performance being measured in time and accuracy.

Now, all you need to do is catch the reloading bug! I can reload .45 for just $14 per 100 rounds, and 9mm for $11 per hundred. I use Bayou Bullets. They are coated cast lead and leave your barrels clean. You only need to load to make power factor in the division you are competing in, which is about 10 to 15 percent below factory strength. That way, your gun takes less of a beating for the thousands and thousands of rounds you will find yourself shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    Nice to hear, I am about to sign up. What gun do you use? your carry?
    Yep... one of them, anyway. I shoot matches with a Springfield TRP because a 1911 is my basic go-to gun, and I shoot the equivalent of ball ammo (200 gr. reloads that make 'major' power level).

My one concession to the "game' is that I use a Blade Tech offset holster which allows me to re-holster with less chance of my muzzle breaking the 180 line than my carry holsters.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Welcome aboard! IDPA is definiely addicting. I started shooting in matches a couple of years ago and it's a ton of fun. I usually use my duty gun and gear (Springfield Loaded) and a 9mm 1911 and the same gear, though sometimes I'll mix it up and use off duty guns. Regardless, it's always a good time, always challenging, and always a great bunch of like minded folks to shoot with.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Links