Horseplay-Did I overreact?

This is a discussion on Horseplay-Did I overreact? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got 2 words for you, KEVLAR SIDING. Oh and try to stay indoors....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Horseplay-Did I overreact?

I got 2 words for you, KEVLAR SIDING.

Oh and try to stay indoors.
    Guest1 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

2. Remove Ads

I honestly don't think you overreacted purly by what you have written. As for what you should do from here well I would stay away for at least a while.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    No you did not. That kid should be beat upside the head for doing something like that. The guy should not excuse it for what it was, but man up and teach that kid why the hell something like that is so stupid.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

This in in response to "Aiko"
    The son is probably in his mid-to-late 20s. He owns his own small business.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsnpr View Post
    This in in response to "Aiko"
    The son is probably in his mid-to-late 20s. He owns his own small business.
    It wouldn't matter if he was the Steve Jobs number one apprentice.

There are 4 simple rules to follow when owning/touching a firearm. Not that difficult.

Your choice. Either avoid them until one kills the other off in "Horseplay", or take it upon yourself to correct the dysfunction and educate them. If they start back talking about how safe they are with guns, and know what they are doing, then say your goodbyes, and go home.
    Last edited by Sticks; October 26th, 2011 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Wrong choice of wording.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sounds like a dangerous household. If you value the friendship, maybe figure out some way to treat the guy to some firearms training. Pay for it yourself, say you won it in a lottery and can bring a friend and it won't cost him anything. Seeing as how you have to live next to the guy, it might be worth going to some effort that allows you to both forgive the guy AND heighten safety awareness in that household. (And after hearing some pointers from an authoritative third party, perhaps he would work on his son.) Just a thought.

VIP Member
    Distance is your friend.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    My son (13) has medium access to some firearms in my home. In the event of a home invasion and I wasn't there to protect him I'd want him to have a chance to defend himself. Now if he were to ever come outside with one without my permission and especially point it towards another person he'd never handle one of my guns again. Not to mention be able to sit for a while.
    ppkheat likes this.

I also do not think you over reacted at all. I think you reacted with much more restraint than I might have.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

A guy had just finished cleaning his gun, his wife walked into the house thru the side door and into the kitchen with groceries she had boughten. Husband, points gun at her (remember he just cleaned it) and says, if she was a BG he would be able to shoot her .... pulls the trigger.....

there was a round in the chamber, and he killed his wife..... a shot to the head.

You should take it VERY SERIOUSLY ! ! ! !
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

The next time you see him tell him why you think you may have overreacted, tell him you really care about him, his family and the safety of your family. Tell him you don't want to go to any funerals. Further contact with him in my opinion would be depending upon his reaction and willingness to follow through with your suggestions and concerns.
    BugDude likes this.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

You reacted much better than I would have.

About a year ago, I was in a gun store in South Orlando and was talking with the owner about our favorite topic: Guns.
    There were two "non-English" speaking customers taking a look at a new Glock 22. Both individuals were the type you just wanna get away from....loud, and brazen, and jabbering in a foreign language. Out of the corner of my eye I realize that one of the guys is sighting in the Glock on my back. I turned and angrily yelled for the man to quit pointing the gun at me. Obviously he understood English, because he told me to go F myself. I then explained to the store owner to request the gentleman quit sighting the Glock in on my back.....unless he wanted me to sight MY GLOCK IN ON HIS FACE....and mine was loaded. I turned and looked at the guy with the G22 and he slammed the gun down on the counter and huffed out of the store. The store owner apologized for the incident. I have not returned.....nor will I. This store seems to specialize in customers with absolutely no gun handling skills or gun safety knowledge. Good place to get shot.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

You know what ...... I just thought of something really good you should tell your neighbor.....

I would talk to him about safety and then probably let him know I carry, and then ask how he would feel if I thought his son was going to kill him, so I drew my gun and shot his son. See if he still thinks it funny. Let him know, playing with guns, is not a joke... it can get someone dead.

You would have been legally justified if you believed his son was going to shoot him.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelGnnr View Post
    no.....as much as it "sucks" to may have "hurt" a relationship.....something not right in that house. that child doesn't have the respect of a firearm and neither does your neighbor....my children would NEVER EVER touch one of my firearms even if sitting on the table more less to play a joke with it!!

.... Time to just be neighborly and wave but stay away...going to read about that house someday in the news.........
    +1 to that!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Considering there is no such thing as an unloaded gun and the OP was downrange of guns at multiple points in the story, I think anything short of drawing was likely an under reaction.

The son is 21, that's old enough to purchase and carry a handgun in every state that allows it; better gun safety is mandatory at any age, and if he can't handle it responsibly then he should not touch it and have someone responsible come pick it up and lock it away in a safe for him. Unfortunately when the father exhibited horrid gun safety earlier I think we got the tip that his complacency about handling deadly weapons was passed onto his son, so I don't expect that this is something that'll be corrected by them without outside help, be it getting training, or arrested or shot or an ND (which is a matter of when not if with them). Keep your distance, do the minimum needed to be neighborly, and given what you witnessed a phone call to the police is not unreasonable, especially when they sound careless enough to tell the responding officer, yeah he did it but its ok it was unloaded.

Glock Certified Armorer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links