Horseplay-Did I overreact? - Page 3

Horseplay-Did I overreact?

This is a discussion on Horseplay-Did I overreact? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 357and40 I would recommend a firearms safety class to them & let them know that once they have completed it you would ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Horseplay-Did I overreact?

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I would recommend a firearms safety class to them & let them know that once they have completed it you would be happy to associate with them again. Until then, even though you enjoy their company, you are having a very hard time feeling safe around them in light of recent events.
    I agree with this. I'd explain nicely that until the father could demonstrate that he had gone through some sort of legitimate firearms safety training, I couldn't feel safe being near them. Especially since the kid pulled one out, and the father was waving one around.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by tts View Post
    i don't think you overreacted at all. I would have called the police anyways -- you never know what the son's intentions were. Plus, now it's personal because you have been put in harms way on more than one occasion by this family.

People who don't respect guns shouldn't own them.
    i agree,i would have called 911

EdC
    You did not overreact. Unfortunately, they are neighbors, but I disagree with the "friendly neighbor approach" regarding education, etc.

The son is 20 years old and points guns at people. Father waives a gun around and it's ok because it's "not loaded." Think on that awhile. They are very dangerous and irresponsible people, and education isn't going to help. It's not a knowledge problem, it's a moral/mental health problem, IMHO.

Be nice, polite and "neighbourly" but stay the hell away from them as much as you can. Another poster said that something like there's "something not tightened down in that family." Well put.

Well, what can I say? I think I've mentioned this before, but I hang around a variety of friends and acquaintances who have guns and most of them even have CHLs. My experience is that most of them are considerably more reckless with their firearms than I am. Whenever they are clowning around, I just make it known that I don't find it acceptable, even if it makes me a spoil sport. Now, when i say clowning around, none of my friends would ever do anything as ridiculous as what was described here (pointing a real firearm at somebody's head as a joke) they still do things not so safe. However, in my opinion it is better to try to be a good example than it is to disown them because of it. The same may be true with your neighbor. If you never speak to him again, how will you have an opportunity to help him better understand gun safety?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I do not think you over reacted. it is difficult sometimes when those around you, be it neighbors or family, that have grown up with firearms and have not taken the proper training or any formal training "flag" you with their muzzle. These are bad habits that wont go away with just one warning, I am not saying be a babysitter but your safety could be at risk. he may say the chamber is empty...but how do you know? the rule in Afghanistan was, on the FOB chamber is empty but I know of several who kept their weapon "hot" Basically if they are not safe and putting you in danger too then you should say somthing.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Until that neighbor's son start maturing and stop his shenanigans that might end up costing his life someday, I would avoid that neighbor at all costs. Personally, I have no tolerance for that kind of behavior from anyone and he/she would end up being put on the deck like an assailant.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
    If my son ever did that to me they would hear him screaming for me to stop hitting him many blocks away. But then, it's obvious your neighbor doesn't know proper gun handling so how can he teach it to his son?
    I agree!!!

I taught my children gun safety so I hope I would never be in this situation. Besides my boys have gotten too big especialy the youngest, I would have to hit and run now.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
    If my son ever did that to me they would hear him screaming for me to stop hitting him many blocks away. But then, it's obvious your neighbor doesn't know proper gun handling so how can he teach it to his son?

^^^^^^^^^I agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would have had my kid by the ear, and him a hollerin' "Daddy don't", no doubt about it
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Well, what can I say? I think I've mentioned this before, but I hang around a variety of friends and acquaintances who have guns and most of them even have CHLs. My experience is that most of them are considerably more reckless with their firearms than I am. Whenever they are clowning around, I just make it known that I don't find it acceptable, even if it makes me a spoil sport. Now, when i say clowning around, none of my friends would ever do anything as ridiculous as what was described here (pointing a real firearm at somebody's head as a joke) they still do things not so safe. However, in my opinion it is better to try to be a good example than it is to disown them because of it. The same may be true with your neighbor. If you never speak to him again, how will you have an opportunity to help him better understand gun safety?
    Good point. I'd be all for that as long as I could provide direction without further risk to my life.

My .02....

Nothing in the OP sounds remotely similar to horseplay. Were it me in that position I would try to have a friendly conversation across the fence about firearms safety and potential tragedy. Like someone had mentioned earlier, the number of people shot with unloaded guns is way too high for my comfort level.

As to whether or not your neighbor is humble enough or wise enough to follow advice that he desperately needs but undoubtedly is unaware of and certainly not asking for is another issue.

Your diplomatic skills may be much better than mine.

FWIW as a good neighbor I would say a short conversation at the very least would be in order. Maybe lay out how high the stakes are in this situation and how ingrained firearm safety is in your psyche. I have zero tolerance for such dangerous behavior either.

Quote Originally Posted by rcsnpr View Post
    I would like your opinion about how I reacted to this situation.

I moved into my home about a year and a half ago, I live north of the Tampa Bay area. The homes are very close together. I live on a corner lot with only one neighbor on one side, I met my neighbor before I bought the home, and from that time on I thought I was lucky to have him as a neighbor.

While he and I were standing in my driveway, he was describing a story when he reached in his pocket and pulled out his hand gun, he then waved the gun back and forth while continuing to tell the story. When he was waving the gun back and forth. The gun was pointed at me several times. When he put the gun back in his pocket. I explained to him, quite calmly, that what he did was something I did not like, and not to do it ever again. He said he was sorry, but not to worry as there was no bullet chambered. I reiterated what I had said. He said sorry and okay.

Months later, I am returning from the store (Walmart) where I had purchased an air soft handgun (I plan on shooting the squirrels that torment my cats). I see my neighbor, we say hi and start talking about stuff. He goes into the side entrance of his garage which is mere feet, say, about 4 feet from the edge of my driveway and returns with a fishing rod and reel. I say that's a great rod and reel. It even has braided line on it. Everything is great. His son was visiting and he told me he had to go back inside to do something with the son. Just then his son comes out of the side door and smacks my neighbor on the arm with a cardboard tube from a paper towel roll. At least that's what I think it was, and he said come on dad lets go, and as he turned to walk deeper into the garage. My neighbor took the rod and made the motion of stabbing him in his but while saying this sure would hurt. In a very short moment the son returned to my view as he was still in the garage and my neighbor was in the doors threshold. The son has a handgun pointed at my neighbor's head (his father) and I am pretty much in the line of fire, looking down the barrel of his gun. It look like a Kel Tec PF 9. I quickly stepped to the side and out of immediate harms way. The sun made the joke that this sure would hurt. Since I could not see him any longer. I assumed he put the gun away and went back to whatever he was doing.

My memory is a little blurred. At this point because I started to get very angry. I remember something like my neighbor saying sorry and me saying that was totally messed up. Not only did he put you in danger. I was in danger as well. He went back inside and returned just a moment later apparently trying to apologize some more (this is where I feel I may have overreacted or not) , I told my neighbor. I did not want to discuss it any further, I said he's lucky I'm not calling the police and to please stop talking to me now, because I am very angry. And we've had a good relationship and I may say something that I shouldn't. I turned and walked into my home.

I just feel maybe I was a little hard on him for his son's actions. He has been out of town since this happened and I have not spoken with him. I'm not as angry as I was. Or let's say I am more calm now.

Did I overreact. Should I just told him, hey, do you mind not pointing a handgun at me?

Thank you for any comments and suggestions.
    No you didn't over-react. These people are dangerous - I might even tell the police or permit office, I don't know. But waving a gun around is a real NO and they well may hurt or kill someone - including one of their own. You were reacting to being in lethal danger and making sure you're not "the one".
    Absolutely appropriate. +1

Stay away. Follow your conscience about reporting or not buy Stay Away. Good Job!

Horseplay with firearms should never be tolerated or done ! That guy is an accident waiting to happen, I don't care if he's been shooting for 50 years, he should know better ! He broke one of the main gun rules, "Never point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot!" Then he's got his kid playing with real guns ! I hope to God it was a toy but even as a kid my dad would tell me don't point a gun at anyone ! Rules were installed at the early age of 5 with toy guns and so when I went to the real ones when I was 21 I already knew better. Common sense ! People like that make all gun owners/enthusiasts look bad.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    No, you did not over react. This guy & his son would make perfect EX- FRIENDS !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links