Horseplay-Did I overreact?

This is a discussion on Horseplay-Did I overreact? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would like your opinion about how I reacted to this situation. I moved into my home about a year and a half ago, I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Horseplay-Did I overreact?

Horseplay-Did I overreact?

I would like your opinion about how I reacted to this situation.

I moved into my home about a year and a half ago, I live north of the Tampa Bay area. The homes are very close together. I live on a corner lot with only one neighbor on one side, I met my neighbor before I bought the home, and from that time on I thought I was lucky to have him as a neighbor.

While he and I were standing in my driveway, he was describing a story when he reached in his pocket and pulled out his hand gun, he then waved the gun back and forth while continuing to tell the story. When he was waving the gun back and forth. The gun was pointed at me several times. When he put the gun back in his pocket. I explained to him, quite calmly, that what he did was something I did not like, and not to do it ever again. He said he was sorry, but not to worry as there was no bullet chambered. I reiterated what I had said. He said sorry and okay.

Months later, I am returning from the store (Walmart) where I had purchased an air soft handgun (I plan on shooting the squirrels that torment my cats). I see my neighbor, we say hi and start talking about stuff. He goes into the side entrance of his garage which is mere feet, say, about 4 feet from the edge of my driveway and returns with a fishing rod and reel. I say that's a great rod and reel. It even has braided line on it. Everything is great. His son was visiting and he told me he had to go back inside to do something with the son. Just then his son comes out of the side door and smacks my neighbor on the arm with a cardboard tube from a paper towel roll. At least that's what I think it was, and he said come on dad lets go, and as he turned to walk deeper into the garage. My neighbor took the rod and made the motion of stabbing him in his but while saying this sure would hurt. In a very short moment the son returned to my view as he was still in the garage and my neighbor was in the doors threshold. The son has a handgun pointed at my neighbor's head (his father) and I am pretty much in the line of fire, looking down the barrel of his gun. It look like a Kel Tec PF 9. I quickly stepped to the side and out of immediate harms way. The sun made the joke that this sure would hurt. Since I could not see him any longer. I assumed he put the gun away and went back to whatever he was doing.

My memory is a little blurred. At this point because I started to get very angry. I remember something like my neighbor saying sorry and me saying that was totally messed up. Not only did he put you in danger. I was in danger as well. He went back inside and returned just a moment later apparently trying to apologize some more (this is where I feel I may have overreacted or not) , I told my neighbor. I did not want to discuss it any further, I said he's lucky I'm not calling the police and to please stop talking to me now, because I am very angry. And we've had a good relationship and I may say something that I shouldn't. I turned and walked into my home.

I just feel maybe I was a little hard on him for his son's actions. He has been out of town since this happened and I have not spoken with him. I'm not as angry as I was. Or let's say I am more calm now.

Did I overreact. Should I just told him, hey, do you mind not pointing a handgun at me?

Thank you for any comments and suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

I would avoid that family and tell my family to avoid that family at all costs.
    Mike1956, ironmike86 and hk45c like this.

It's hard to say. From what I've heard on your side, you certainly had reason to be upset. But to determine if you put it out there correctly only you know.

The fact that have doubts may be your answer.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Unloaded guns KILL!!!!!,you handled it better than I would have.
    jem102 likes this.

tts
    I don't think you overreacted at all. I would have called the police anyways -- you never know what the son's intentions were. Plus, now it's personal because you have been put in harms way on more than one occasion by this family.

People who don't respect guns shouldn't own them.
    rolyat63 likes this.

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Unloaded guns KILL!!!!!,you handled it better than I would have.
    Me too.

no.....as much as it "sucks" to may have "hurt" a relationship.....something not right in that house. that child does have the respect of a firearm and neither does your neighbor....my children would NEVER EVER touch one of my firearms even if sitting on the table more less to play a joke with it!!

somethings not quite tightened down enough when that family was built. Time to just be neighborly and wave but stay away...going to read about that house someday in the news.........

I would stay away as best you can personally as he may be "sorry" when he had it out of his pocket but hes not teaching or knows good fireams practice...

If you want to really be freinds maybe you offer for you and he and his son to say take the hunter safety course together and try to educate him without angering him......either that or stay away!!

just my 2 cents. ive seen on a much more mellow scale children not having the respect as good as they should with firearms and When I look over and see the parent..I know exactly why....

Its why I don't hunt with a neighbor of mine down the street anymore.

or maybe the basic pistol course if none are hunters...but some..to try and teach him......maybe he was never taught right etiher.......
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

I would recommend a firearms safety class to them & let them know that once they have completed it you would be happy to associate with them again. Until then, even though you enjoy their company, you are having a very hard time feeling safe around them in light of recent events.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

PB2
    If my son ever did that to me they would hear him screaming for me to stop hitting him many blocks away. But then, it's obvious your neighbor doesn't know proper gun handling so how can he teach it to his son?
    RugerMike likes this.

Since it seems like you can communicate with them,you may need to get both father and son together and go over firearm safety,go on the internet and dig up stories where people were killed with "unloaded guns" and in some cases the shooters were given prison terms,also reiterate the fact that you never point the muzzle of a gun at anything you don't want to destroy,It sounds to me like they take firearm safety way to casual.
    joker1 and Arborigine like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Two immature jerks; father and son. Take them for what they are. If you want to be friends expect stupid stuff.

What they do isn't right of course, but I'd rather have neighbors who joke around than ones who want to fight about everything.

Ratchet it back and just try to stay cool around them and fergetaboutit.

This reminds me of an incident where my wife's friend's husband, a retired Marine, came up on me from behind, grabbed me and demanded my wallet; of course he shoved his laughing face in mine quickly enough to prevent a calamity. Some folks just have odd ideas about what's funny.

And remember the rules of stupid. Bad things happen when you hang out with stupid people.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

tts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    And remember the rules of stupid. Bad things happen when you hang out with stupid people.
    Too true...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I would avoid that family and tell my family to avoid that family at all costs.
    +1 on the avoid at all cost. Terminal dumbassism is hereditary, and incurable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    fergetaboutit.
    ^Exactly!

Maybe I missed it, how old was the son? If he is younger, sounds like he is potentially being put in danger by his father with irresponsible gun play.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links