Thinking of restoring my Stevens shotgun

This is a discussion on Thinking of restoring my Stevens shotgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Never did a gun restoration. Thinking of doing it over Cmas break. Looking for suggestions/links and even "don't even think about it". It's a 1954 ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By aznav
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By aznav

Thread: Thinking of restoring my Stevens shotgun

Distinguished Member

Never did a gun restoration. Thinking of doing it over Cmas break. Looking for suggestions/links and even "don't even think about it". It's a 1954 Stevens double barrel. Excellent bird gun. Excellent. Tried to make the pics look exactly like color of the gun. You can see there is either a "new" trigger guard or a sloppy job as even the screws are different. There is no sentimental value. Bought it in 1970 for a hundred bucks. The wood looks good with some nicks, of course. Not sure I would mess with it other than light steel wool and varnish. Guessing the metal would need serious stripping and blueing. Thoughts?

PA250002.jpgPA250003.jpgPA250004.jpgPA250005.jpgPA250006.jpg
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

It will be a beauty when it's finished!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

It will have to be a labor of love for it won't be cost effective. Not certain how the barrels are made on a Stevens double barrel shotgun but many double barreled guns may not have their barrels hot blued because of the method of joining the barrels. A proper rust blue would be expensive and inappropriate for such an inexpensive gun as the Stevens was.

I think it looks quite nice just as it is except for that trigger guard which looks to be of aluminum alloy in the photograph. I had a Stevens Model 311 for some years when I was young but believe it had a steel trigger guard. I'm pretty sure some came with steel trigger guards. Perhaps you could find a spare steel trigger guard from one of the gun parts houses. The steel trigger guard would improve the shotgun's appearance. Some aluminum black compounds are also sold. I think Birchwood Casey makes one. Follow directions to recolor the trigger guard if it is aluminum.

If your trigger guard is steel, perhaps you could find a local gunsmith who is about to fire up his blue vat and could pay him a few bucks to run the trigger guard through.

For the rest of the gun, you could soak any rust patches in Kroil, then work them lightly with a bronze brush. I don't notice any bad rust at all in the photos. The receiver was case hardened. Years of use faded it and there's no inexpensive way to brighten it. Some Kroil left on all the metal surfaces overnight then lightly brushed with the bronze brush might give a small improvement to the appearance. After cleaning the gun of the Kroil just put your favorite brand of preservative on it. I like RIG.

That stock is quite nice looking, obviously walnut and possesses some interesting figure. Doesn't look like standard fare for a Model 311. I wonder if it is a replacement. Is that the original Savage/Stevens butt plate? My Model 311 had a plain, dull light yellow, birch stock with burned-in checkering. Was factory but looked pretty hideous. Mine was a later gun than yours is. It wasn't pretty but I wish I'd kept it. It was the first shotgun I bought for myself.

If you could do something about the trigger guard the rest of the gun looks like it could clean up to look nice. If I was looking at several Model 311 guns on a gun show table, I'd look right past a shiny refinished one to admire an honest used original.
    OD* likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member
    Excellent, BMC, thank you! Will show you the results...AFTER Cmas.

Ps. the butt plate is plastic. No markings. Sure enough, the trigger guard is aluminum. The model is "5100".

pps. Assembled: Stevens DBl Barrel.jpg
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Oh yes. Savage Stevens had several different models on the same basic design. Even the model Savage reintroduced as the more "upscale" Fox was the same design underneath.

Looks great assembled. The machine cut checkering is far better than the pressed-burnt checkering my shotgun featured. Only the aluminum trigger guard is annoying and it could be re-blackened. Aluminum on firearms is a peeve of mine but really doesn't matter on non-critical parts.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    For a gun with no sentimental value, I'm already getting choked up anyway. That is a beaut.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I have to go along with bmc. I accidentally started a small collection of 1950's model shotguns, started when a Mossberg model 190 was given to me. I'm up to four now, with a Remington, a Winchester, and an H&R added to the collection.

I've kind of shined them up, and have refinished the stock of the H&R by sanding it and revarnishing it, but other than that all I do is clean them up and use them. None of them are the best at trap or skeet, but they're all fun to shoot. The Remington is an Automaster 898 that by serial number is my newest one, built in 1959 -- just barely in the '50's -- and since it is semi-auto it's my bedroom gun.

I wouldn't try to do to much to it but make it look cleaned up and shootable. Then just go shoot the darn thing. You'll get as much out of that as trying to be too fancy with a restoration.

Just my .02.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Looks like a fun project. Just a suggestion on the stock and forearm. If you redo them, use polyurethane instead of varnish. Much more durable.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Looks like a fun project. Just a suggestion on the stock and forearm. If you redo them, use polyurethane instead of varnish. Much more durable.
    Archer, good point. I meant to say that but couldn't spell it.

ps. Far and away, that old Stevens is the most accurate of ALL the shotguns I have used.

Sponsored Links