Defensive Carry banner

S&W 442 Revolver Problems

18K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  CaptSmith 
#1 ·
Just got back from a trip to the range and one of the employees asked if he could hold my S&W 442. He said he had one and I didn't see any harm. I checked to make sure it was unloaded and handed it right over.

Then, he dry fired it several times while commenting on the weight of my trigger pull. He said I might have a burr because when he pulled the trigger 95% of the way until the cylinder locked, the remaining 5% to actually get the gun to fire felt too heavy (he said like 15 lbs). Hard to be accurate if that's the case.

Now this is a brand new gun so there may be validity to his claim that it's a little rough. I tested one of their rental guns and the resistance was slightly more smooth; not something I would ever notice if he didn't point it out.

Have you ever heard of that kind of stiffness out of the box? Anything I can do to fix it?

#2 ·
Sounds like you need to take it to the range and put about 200 more rounds through it. Then it should be smoothed out. If not, then have it looked at by a gunsmith or send it back to S&W and have them work it over.

#5 ·
That's what I was thinking. It would at least help if there was a burr.

He's probably used to their well used rental guns. I'd just shoot it unless it really bothers you. Even then, you could just change the trigger return spring before you send it off. That would lighten the pull a bit.
I see what you're saying. I'll play it by ear and think about changing the trigger return spring or sending it to S&W if it doesn't resolve in ~250 rounds.

You won't notice the trigger pull if you ever have to use it in self defense. Shoot and enjoy it.
Good point.

#3 ·
He's probably used to their well used rental guns. I'd just shoot it unless it really bothers you. Even then, you could just change the trigger return spring before you send it off. That would lighten the pull a bit.

#6 ·
The factory trigger pull on a 442 is very heavy. I recommend you get a set of replacement springs, which are available from many vendors. Here's something I did that I'm not proud of; I once did a ******* trigger job on my 442. On the advice of a know-it-all friend, I cut two coils off the main spring. I was skeptical when he suggested it, but I figured if it didn't work there was no harm, since I planned to replace the springs anyway. Lo and behold, it worked perfectly. Go figure. I did later install replacement springs.

#9 ·
It will smooth out. Mine was pretty heavy at first. After 100 or so rounds and some dry firing things will change. Of course, changing the springs is another option and an easy one at that.

#10 ·
Wolff shooter's pack has lighter main spring and trigger return spring. Polish the contacts with a dremel and metal polish while you're in there and you'll love the smooth lighter trigger. I also removed my internal lock flag while I was in there. There are youtube videos to walk you through it. Super easy to do even if you've never done anything like that before. It made all the difference in the world in my 442 and I've put well over 1,000 rounds through mine.

#12 ·
Most J-Frames, heck, most S&W revolvers are a bit stiff out of the box. Run a few hundred rounds threw it as others have suggested. It will loosen up, and over the years that stiff trigger will become quite smooth. You can pay a gunsmith to work it over if you like, buy why not shoot it instead?

#14 ·
i bought my S&W 649 "gently" used. After a year or so, the gun seemed badly out of time ... 'click, clank, 'bang'. I thought it was me and shot for a while longer. I finally took it to a gunsmith recommended by my local county range master. The gunny said the trigger pull was "off the scale" ( 15 lbs or more). He broke it down; cleaned, lubed, de-burred, polished, new springs, tuned ... the best $75 I ever spent. Glassy smooth trigger and a real joy to shoot.

#15 ·
Revolvers start off rougher and heavier from the box then after a few hundred trigger pulls. Mine actually is so light now I don't dare shoot it SA, I can't feel the dang thing anymore.

#16 ·
After "Stageing" on the cylinder lock, your pistol should fire on a clean break of the shear. If more pressure is required after "lockup" this is not normal, I'd dig into it , clean it up, or give it to the dealer to stone out the burr in the trigger group.
(get a couple sets of solid Aluminum snapcaps if you opt for the "trigger pull" solution, and practice DA aim, and reload)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.