• Up to 700 yards

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • up to 800 yards

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Up to 1000 yards

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Over 1000 yards

Votes: 18 13.7%

What is the furthest distance you have shot?

6K views 67 replies 49 participants last post by  bmcgilvray 
#1 ·
The discussion of the 400 yard 1911A2 got me thinking, and I am just wondering how far most of the members have shot at. I am going to open it up to any center-fire firearm cartridge (tankers, arty, attack helicopter pilots, ect... please limit it to .50 cal and below). I know before I joined the Marines, the furthest I was able to shoot locally was 200 yards for a rifle. While you can kind of compensate for limited distance by adjusting target size, it isn't really the same, because it doesn't teach you range estimation and wind calls. I always thought it was very satisfying to be able to build my confidence with longer shots, that showed me my fundamentals were good. But as a civilian there seems to be a limited number of ranges where shooters can take truly long shots.

While in I shot the M-16 out to about 650-700 yards (with an ACOG) and that was probably as far as that weapon could be stretched. (we qualified yearly at 200, 300, 500 yards). I shot the M-249 SAW out to 900 yards with open sights (area fire). And the Ma Deuce .50 cal out to about 1200 yards.

If you want to include any pertinent info, that would be appreciated as well

#4 ·
When I used to shoot High Power match I would shoot out to 500 yards using either an ’03 Springfield or an M-1 Garand. The 30 Herret and 357 Herret barrels for my Contender are both sighted at 100 yards.

#5 ·
800 with my 30.06 on a very windy day...little Kentucky Windage...squeeze off the shot and....BANG...*ding*...Put the rifle back in the case, put the case in the pick-up and leave...there's no way I'm screwing up my "atta boys" and "shoulder pats" by firing 2 shots that day!

Reactions: Guest1
#6 ·
300 yards with my 30.06 when I was in Oklahoma. Area I hunted about the max shot you'd get was around 200 yards. Now that I'm here in VA I doubt I'd get that long of a shot.

#7 ·
High-Power competition with the M1 to 600 yards.

Water-filled gallon milk jugs to 800 paces in the back end of a plowed field in a creek bottom with a Ruger 77 .30-06 with a Leupold M8 6X scope.

One deer at 440 paces, taken with a .303 ICL Improved built on a P '14 Enfield action, topped with a Lyman All American 4X scope. Another was taken that was farther but there was no way to effectively pace it from off the rim of a cliff. An Interarms Mark X 7X57 with a Lyman All American 6X scope was used. Actually, I don't much care for shooting at deer over 300 yards.

Just for fun, rocks down a canyon to "infinity."

Regularly shoot to 200 yards on our old place with handguns of all kinds. Shoot at twice that distance occasionally but results are always dismal. I'm not in the Elmer Keith category of long range handgunning.

#9 ·
I would prefer hits. I mean, I don't want people saying "Once I shot a .22 in the air at a .45 degree angle, so it went a mile and a half.

But like I mentioned above, the SAW was fired as an area effect weapon, so there wasn't pin-point accuracy, that was 12-15 round bursts. The Ma-Deuce was at vehicle ssized and shaped targets, and also full auto.

But for the sake of sportsmanship, try to keep it relevant to something you were trying to hit, and what good is shooting if you don't hit your target?

Reactions: bmcgilvray
#53 ·
Parris Island, 1961. M-1 Garand: 500 yards. Qualified as Expert. Served 3 years as sniper in SEA,numerous kills, but I never fired at over 200 yards. Most police sniper shots are well under 200 yards.

#13 ·
A friend of mine and I worked an M1 Garand progressively back from 100 yards to 1000 we started missing the 8x11" target after 500 yards. At 1000, with open peep sights I had 3 of 8 rounds hit the paper. Pretty cool for a bunch of amateurs. Sweet gun.

I don't have any shot for hunting beyond 70 yds so I just hunt with a 30-30 using open sights. Picked a nice doe off last season. My 30-06 hasn't been fired.

Jim

#15 ·
I've made countless numbers of shots at probably well over 2,500 yards with an M-16 in times past. It was held at a 45-degree angle and pointed north into the Nam jungle. Prolly didn't hit anything but a tree or the ground, but that's how far I shot - and I hit my intended target(s) :rolleyes:

#18 ·
If your talking about shooting at a target/game about 300 yards,but I have shot farther but seeing as how I missed I'm not sure where the bullet stopped

#19 ·
Coyote 480 yards with 7mm mag
deer 675 yards with 300RUM
Numberous prarie dogs over 500 yards with 22-250
Milk Jugs out to 800 with 7mm, 300RUM, and AR-15
10in steel plate out to 125 yards with Kimber 10mm
Steel Pig target out to 200 yards with 41 mag and 454 Casull

#20 ·
At Game with a handgun my furthest has been close to 140 yards. With a rifle, I am not really sure what the furthest is at man, but animals Id say about an honest 225 maybe 250 yards.

#22 ·
not the longest kill shot, but in 1977 I took a coyote out of the freshly bailed hay meadow from the seat of an idling tractor at 100+ yards, unsupported, with an 1893 Win pump with .22 short. I would say that's a long shot relative to the chambering

A couple of years ago I dropped a trotting coyote at a bit over 300 yards from a kneeling position with a Rem 700 22/250. Still most proud of the .22 short "long range kill":smile:

#23 ·
500 meters prone 5.56mm delivered via M16A2 open iron, last time was '89 or '90. My best practical shot; I took a deer at 202 yards (range finder) with my Encore muzzleloader.

#24 ·
The .22 Short is really pretty amazing for what it is. Good shot! It wasn't actually an 1890 Winchester pump was it?

Sounds like a shot my dad made a few years ago to "scare" away a feral dog seen roaming down the hill about a hundred yards from the house. He loaded up a Winchester Model 67 rifle with a CB cap, intending to shoot near by the German Shepard sized dog. Accidentally landed the feeble bullet right on the dog which ran in very tight and frantic circle for several revolutions and fell down dead. I'm not sure if he could ever determine where he hit the dog.

#25 ·
Not much of a reason for distance shooting around here. .270 with handloads into the neck of a doe at 110 yards. I'm shooting over a clearcut this year, might be able to stretch that a bit.

#26 ·
Voted up to 100 yds. Just with handgun. Maybe I'll take my Savage over/under single-shot .22LR / 20 guage from 40+ years of ownership to the outdoor range someday soon. Enjoyed the accounts of your long shots, all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.