Had a daddy daughter day at the range

This is a discussion on Had a daddy daughter day at the range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got back from the local range. Very pround of my daughter. She fired the S&W M&P 15 grouping all shots in the "kill "Zone. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Had a daddy daughter day at the range

Just got back from the local range. Very pround of my daughter. She fired the S&W M&P 15 grouping all shots in the "kill "Zone. fired my Tarus M651 Snub nose revolver using 38SPL +P loads with no issues...even got comments from some of the guys on the range about how they would not wanna be the guy sneaking around the house at night. I admit I was a little worried about recoil with the Snub nose, but she said the first shot shocked her, "she was not expecting the fireball at the muzzle" but after that first shot she was just fine hitting center mass.

I highly suggest that if you have children you teach them weapons safety and take them shooting. It makes a great day with your kids. It also gives you the piece of mind that they understand the weapons are not toys and there will be none of the sneaking around curiosity because you take the time to properly train your kids and do not make the weapons "Taboo".
    bmcgilvray, TheGiant, eww and 3 others like this.

"I highly suggest that if you have children you teach them weapons safety and take them shooting. It makes a great day with your kids. It also gives you the piece of mind that they understand the weapons are not toys and there will be none of the sneaking around curiosity because you take the time to properly train your kids and do not make the weapons "Taboo"."

Amen to this!

This worked so well for us and our two sons. There was never a time when they did any of that sneaking around.

Besides, sounds like you had fun.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    It's much better to gun proof your children, because you'll never child proof your guns.
    adric22, JoJoGunn and joker1 like this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    It's much better to gun proof your children, because you'll never child proof your guns.
    Very true!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

We had a blast, this was the first time since I have been back stateside that we had a chance to go. I have pictures of her when she was 4 sitting on my lap firing a M2 50 cal. at FT lewis.

I fully agree on teaching your kids about guns, not only does it educate them but if the unthinkable happens she knows she can handle the weapon with skill. We talked about the 11 year old girl who had to defend herself. that was one of her main reason she wanted to shoot the Snubby, because it is my daily carry and it will be the one most likely on hand.

Administrator
    Just a reminder:
    Do remember that when taking younger kids shooting, don't skimp on the hearing and eye protection.
    Good quality properly fitting muffs are especially important for young ears.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    This will probably be one of those days that she will always remember, even if you don't. I was under the impression that my own daughter thought her first range trip was only mildly entertaining, but years later I'm finding out that she's turned it into one of her favorite memories.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I did this recently with a grandson while dad was still in Afghanistan--we took a watermelon, drew a face on it and had him name it after his best friend--then shot the watermelon and went to go look and inspect the damage (big hole in back with melon all spwed out--and talked about what it would have felt like to accidently do that to his best friend.......
    TheGiant likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Whenever I reminisce about things I taught my daughter including gun safety and firearms training,the lyrics from the song Teach Your Children by Crosby,Stills and Nash comes to mind
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Good days. My daughters( 9 and 11) have gotten where they argue over who's turn it is to go with daddy this week.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Whenever I reminisce about things I taught my daughter including gun safety and firearms training,the lyrics from the song Teach Your Children by Crosby,Stills and Nash comes to mind
    I don't know much about Crosby, Stills and Nash personally, but I bet that would drive them nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    I did this recently with a grandson while dad was still in Afghanistan--we took a watermelon, drew a face on it and had him name it after his best friend--then shot the watermelon and went to go look and inspect the damage (big hole in back with melon all spwed out--and talked about what it would have felt like to accidently do that to his best friend.......
    I would have rather had him name it after his worst enemy. :-) Mwuahahahah.

On a serious note, to modernknight, I posted a similar story a few weeks ago with my 8 year old daughter. She also loved it. Here's an odd thing for you. My wife offered to take her to the range last week with her, and she didn't want to go. But she wants to go with me. I'm not entirely sure why.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Just a reminder:
    Do remember that when taking younger kids shooting, don't skimp on the hearing and eye protection.
    Good quality properly fitting muffs are especially important for young ears.
    +1 on this. I see an ear nose and throat doctor on a regular basis for something unrelated to my ears. He is not happy that I shoot. Not because of the gun, but the potential ear damage. He strongly suggests both plugs and muffs, especially when indoors.

Once they become teenagers they have enough problem hearing you, you don't want to make it worse. ;)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

to adric22, yep same here. My daughter only wants to go with daddy. She also refers to the Harley as "her" motorcycle. she rides with me more then my wife does. lol we have daddy daughter things and her and mommy have their mommy daughter things.

I noticed I did not mention this in the first post, she just turned 13.

And i completly agree with the eye and ear protection. she wears ear muffs and ballistic shooting glasses. I also wear safety gear when at the range.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Did a blog post about taking my 6 1/2 year old daughter at the range. she is bugging me to take her again.

Den of Zeus: Father daughter moment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links