Defensive Carry banner

Had a daddy daughter day at the range

1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  peckman28 
#1 ·
Just got back from the local range. Very pround of my daughter. She fired the S&W M&P 15 grouping all shots in the "kill "Zone. fired my Tarus M651 Snub nose revolver using 38SPL +P loads with no issues...even got comments from some of the guys on the range about how they would not wanna be the guy sneaking around the house at night. I admit I was a little worried about recoil with the Snub nose, but she said the first shot shocked her, "she was not expecting the fireball at the muzzle" but after that first shot she was just fine hitting center mass.

I highly suggest that if you have children you teach them weapons safety and take them shooting. It makes a great day with your kids. It also gives you the piece of mind that they understand the weapons are not toys and there will be none of the sneaking around curiosity because you take the time to properly train your kids and do not make the weapons "Taboo".

#2 ·
"I highly suggest that if you have children you teach them weapons safety and take them shooting. It makes a great day with your kids. It also gives you the piece of mind that they understand the weapons are not toys and there will be none of the sneaking around curiosity because you take the time to properly train your kids and do not make the weapons "Taboo"."

Amen to this!

This worked so well for us and our two sons. There was never a time when they did any of that sneaking around.

Besides, sounds like you had fun.

#5 ·
We had a blast, this was the first time since I have been back stateside that we had a chance to go. I have pictures of her when she was 4 sitting on my lap firing a M2 50 cal. at FT lewis.

I fully agree on teaching your kids about guns, not only does it educate them but if the unthinkable happens she knows she can handle the weapon with skill. We talked about the 11 year old girl who had to defend herself. that was one of her main reason she wanted to shoot the Snubby, because it is my daily carry and it will be the one most likely on hand.

#6 ·
Just a reminder:
Do remember that when taking younger kids shooting, don't skimp on the hearing and eye protection.
Good quality properly fitting muffs are especially important for young ears.

#13 ·
+1 on this. I see an ear nose and throat doctor on a regular basis for something unrelated to my ears. He is not happy that I shoot. Not because of the gun, but the potential ear damage. He strongly suggests both plugs and muffs, especially when indoors.

Once they become teenagers they have enough problem hearing you, you don't want to make it worse. ;)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
This will probably be one of those days that she will always remember, even if you don't. I was under the impression that my own daughter thought her first range trip was only mildly entertaining, but years later I'm finding out that she's turned it into one of her favorite memories.

#8 ·
I did this recently with a grandson while dad was still in Afghanistan--we took a watermelon, drew a face on it and had him name it after his best friend--then shot the watermelon and went to go look and inspect the damage (big hole in back with melon all spwed out--and talked about what it would have felt like to accidently do that to his best friend.......

Reactions: TheGiant
#12 ·
I would have rather had him name it after his worst enemy. :) Mwuahahahah.

On a serious note, to modernknight, I posted a similar story a few weeks ago with my 8 year old daughter. She also loved it. Here's an odd thing for you. My wife offered to take her to the range last week with her, and she didn't want to go. But she wants to go with me. I'm not entirely sure why.

#9 ·
Whenever I reminisce about things I taught my daughter including gun safety and firearms training,the lyrics from the song Teach Your Children by Crosby,Stills and Nash comes to mind

#14 ·
to adric22, yep same here. My daughter only wants to go with daddy. She also refers to the Harley as "her" motorcycle. she rides with me more then my wife does. lol we have daddy daughter things and her and mommy have their mommy daughter things.

I noticed I did not mention this in the first post, she just turned 13.

And i completly agree with the eye and ear protection. she wears ear muffs and ballistic shooting glasses. I also wear safety gear when at the range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.