Firearms Concepts You Never Understood. - Page 2

Firearms Concepts You Never Understood.

This is a discussion on Firearms Concepts You Never Understood. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Never understood the .410 revolvers myself, always thought of the judge as a "gimmick" firearm....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Firearms Concepts You Never Understood.

Never understood the .410 revolvers myself, always thought of the judge as a "gimmick" firearm.
    JD and Dadsnugun like this.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Lights on guns. If you can't see something in the dark, you shouldn't be pointing a gun at it. If you put a light on a gun to ID a target, you are violating a fundamental safety rule. Related to this is putting an accessory rail(s) on every gun, including mini sized carry guns. Taking a lightweight gun and hanging a ton of crap on it (AR-15's in particular).

Now excuse me while I change into Nomex.
    wmhawth and bmcgilvray like this.

DAO firearms with manual safeties

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Feather light trigger pulls, really if I sneeze next to someone I don't want their firearm to fire. Why would you want this?
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I've never grasped the airweight .357 idea. I mean, I like .357, it is a very fine cartridge, I own a few of them. However, I have a Rossi 461, which is basically a K-frame knock off, with a steel frame, and 2" barrel, full grip. Shooting full housed .357 loads out of it is a handful. Shooting them out of a j-frame that weighs half as much, and doesn't offer me a full grip? No thanks. I think the vast majority of people who buy them probably just stick with .38 (or train with just .38 and then carry .357, IMO a bad idea), in which case they should have saved a few hundred bucks and spent it on ammo. If you are bad enough to hold onto one of those when it fires, aren't you bad enough to carry an extra pound of gun?

I agree about PG shotguns. Their only real use comes with a breaching shotgun, which really you should have a short barrel on it too. For CQB they are useless. That why the chicken wing method is around.

I always thought the .410 pistols were gimmicky, and the S&W shareholders are not enjoying the decision, their stock has been down for the last year or so.

The revolving rifles I get back in the day (when Colt originally came out with them), because at that time people were just starting to try to make effective multi shot rifles, and it was kind of a logical step for Colt to take back then. Now, no thanks. I'll take a pistol caliber lever action first.

A concept I really don't understand though, are people who think throwing money at a shooting fundamentals problem, in the form of the most expensive gun possible, fixes the problem. Guys on the range, all over (and off the paper) with a multi-thousand dollar gun. Saying that it is the gun, when it clearly isn't. They should buy a normal off the line weapon, and then spend the rest on good training.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Agreed on all points, and If I could rant on

mag disconnects, internal safety locks, convertible cylinders, through the trigger guard locks, frangible bullets, light rails, buck 'n ball duplex loads, warning shots, Israeli carry, open carry, no carry...

Sorry. But I do like my 75cal flintlock Brown Bess with 130gr FF and 580gr patched ball or a 10ga steel wad with a couple oz of anything at hand.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Why so much hate for the inline muzzleloaders? I love mine, I don't have any interest in hunting with an archaic flintlock and I'm not bothered by the fact that it's "cheating", for me it's 3 more weeks in the woods with my dad. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Now, even my modern deer rifle (Marlin 336 .30-30) has open sights on it, as do my Remington 870 slug gun and my evil, despicable inline muzzleloader so if I am cheating it's at least less-so than some. You'll probably never catch me in the woods with a scoped .30-06 picking off deer 350 yards away on the other side of a corn field.

I also bow hunt with a modern (ok, it's fairly old at this point since I got it around 8 years ago) compound bow, I don't feel any desire to go back to hunting with a long bow like Squanto.
    joker1 likes this.

VIP Member
    The C.O.P. (Compact Offduty Police) pistol.

COP 357 Derringer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A solution looking for a problem.

Yes I own one, even though several members of this forum tried to talk me out of buying it.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

The C.O.P. was a bit of a minor hit for a short time when it first appeared on the scene. It was reported that the design of it's grip frame was conducive to much unpleasantness when it was fired, even with mild .38 Special loads. It's been so long since I even picked one up in a shop or a gun show that I can't remember how heavy they were. What's your opinion of firing the C.O.P.?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Administrator
    THE COP.
    Believe it or not they have some collector value these days. Or at least they did before the economy tanked.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The C.O.P. was a bit of a minor hit for a short time when it first appeared on the scene. It was reported that the design of it's grip frame was conducive to much unpleasantness when it was fired, even with mild .38 Special loads. It's been so long since I even picked one up in a shop or a gun show that I can't remember how heavy they were. What's your opinion of firing the C.O.P.?

Distinguished Member
    As long as I am mouthing off about women on subs, I'll just go ahead and say this:

I don't get the crimson trace laser thing. Or lights on handguns. If I am in a real defensive shooting situation, I doubt I will have time or skills to figure out the whole laser pointing thing. I'm sure there are plenty of people who could disagree with factuals on this, but I do wonder why they are so popular as a pricey add on.

I like a shotgun light for hd, but handguns, it just seems weird to me.

Over and out.

Hi Cammo;

Is that you I smell over here?

Only kidding.

Lasers are another thing I could have stuck in the opening post as I see no use in them on a firearm dedicated for self defense. They're entertaining for plinking or range use, and one can bedevil his cat with them if he doesn't mind that he's also pointing his pistol at the feline.

There really are some professionals who can make effective use of the laser. I can't fathom why they would want to rely on one though. Only an observation but most shooters I've observed with laser equipped handguns at the range are neophytes.

Thanks for mouthing and bringing that one up.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Great post BMC. I have to add my .02 to hating the .410 pistols, they are a gun that does nothing as well as another gun could do ten times better. I do have to say though that the "Mare's Leg" certainly ranks high on my second kind of cool factor. I wouldn't mind grabbing one of those to throw alongside my camelpack.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Thanks MSGT/RET! Those were some that I was thinking of...interesting from a historical standpoint, but just gimmicky to me....the last I mentioned is the "Metal Storm" weapon...just don't like it...may have field applications for the military someday. Particularly the 40mm grenade version, but it's not for me...

Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy90 View Post
    Why so much hate for the inline muzzleloaders? I love mine, I don't have any interest in hunting with an archaic flintlock and I'm not bothered by the fact that it's "cheating", for me it's 3 more weeks in the woods with my dad. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Now, even my modern deer rifle (Marlin 336 .30-30) has open sights on it, as do my Remington 870 slug gun and my evil, despicable inline muzzleloader so if I am cheating it's at least less-so than some. You'll probably never catch me in the woods with a scoped .30-06 picking off deer 350 yards away on the other side of a corn field.

I also bow hunt with a modern (ok, it's fairly old at this point since I got it around 8 years ago) compound bow, I don't feel any desire to go back to hunting with a long bow like Squanto.
    I've never shot a muzzle loader (I have a cousin that likes them, says you can shoot all day long and not spend much money). I like my shooting faster paced but like you said eveyone is entitled to their opinion. I'd gladly take up muzzleloaders if I could get 3 more weeks with my dad.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links