Firearms Concepts You Never Understood. - Page 3

Firearms Concepts You Never Understood.

This is a discussion on Firearms Concepts You Never Understood. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by bmcgilvray The C.O.P. was a bit of a minor hit for a short time when it first appeared on the scene. It ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Firearms Concepts You Never Understood.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The C.O.P. was a bit of a minor hit for a short time when it first appeared on the scene. It was reported that the design of it's grip frame was conducive to much unpleasantness when it was fired, even with mild .38 Special loads. It's been so long since I even picked one up in a shop or a gun show that I can't remember how heavy they were. What's your opinion of firing the C.O.P.?
    Damn thing is heavy, with a capital H, for it's size. And I hate to admit it, but I've had it for over a year and never fired it.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Headed out in 2 hours with my in line ML. Passed on a spike this morning. It's meat for the freezer not a feel good trip down nostalgia lane for me. If it's not your thing, fine. It's mine though.

A straight pistol grip shotgun looks unwieldy. But I have to say the AR style stocks with the vertical pistol grip are very nice. They seem like they would be easier to move around with too. Never really hunted with mine though.

Not a fan of lights or lasers on pistols personally. I'd rather just point shoot anyway, no gadget to malfunction.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Lasers do indeed bedevil the cat. I keep it loaded in case he starts to squat.

In broad daylight you'll never see the laser, even if you waste precious time looking. But as a training tool for dry fire, point shooting, some drills, they're great. You can't let the latest tech goodies lull you into a false sense of skill or neglect the basics. Most of the things I rail against probably have a good use for someone. Opinions make horse races.
    Yankeejib likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Single shot anything, bolt action rifles (while I appreciate their history, accuracy, and neat factor of working the bolt I prefer semi-auto), and modern muzzle loaders (why regress). Excuse my while I put on my asbestos pajamas.
    As I age I have found one of the benefits of my single shots is I do not have to worry about finding my spent brass. Crawling around in the grass looking for brass is painful and undignified.
    Holding my Sharps 45-90 is like holding a beautiful woman. Holding my M1-A is like shaking hands with a fat man.

Michael

I'm not a big fan of pistol grip shotties. Takes away the butt stroke option for a deserving scum bag.

The problem with inlines is that they are modern. To some the inlines are an insult to their sport of shooting primitive arms. They need to realize that muzzleloaders and primitive arms are two different things.
    I have to admit though that I too get my hackles raised a bit when I am shooting my flinchlock and some one proudly shows me their old style rifle. Usually a scoped inline that uses smokeless powder and plastic sabots.

My only problem comes when they try to compare them to true primitive arms. An inline has as much in common with a primitive arm as a semi-auto has with a rolling block. They are loaded from the same end but thats all.

Michael
    bmcgilvray and msgt/ret like this.

Don't forget the $2500 Glocks...... take a $450 pistol , copy the slide in stainless , put on an electronic sight and jack the price to $2500. Good thing it comes with an extra magazine or it might be considered kind of pricey.

How many on the forum are waiting in line for one of these ?
    Secret Spuk likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Don't forget the $2500 Glocks...... take a $450 pistol , copy the slide in stainless , put on an electronic sight and jack the price to $2500. Good thing it comes with an extra magazine or it might be considered kind of pricey.

How many on the forum are waiting in line for one of these ?
    I will be picking mine up in a few days. I will have about a grand in it.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Since this is all opinion and everyone knows that opinions are like, well we all know, I'll take a stab.

Thompson Center Contender
    I have the Encore which I guess is the next generation, I originally bought it with a muzzle loader barrel (see below). I chose the Encore beacause it had the best trigger of all the muzzle loaders I could find and, at the time, was one of the few I could find in stainless. I have since purchased two other barrels, I like the platform it is reliable and accurate.

Remington XP 100 (and similar bolt action "pistols")

Yeah, no interest, totally agree.

Revolving Rifles Whether percussion or cartridge, this is just wrong.

Novelty can't imagine any other reason, unless maybe, you carry a wheel gun in the same caliber that will share speed loaders.

"Watch-fob" .22 revolvers. Freedom and NAA have sold a lot of these.
    None for me thanks.

The pistol grip version of the defensive shotgun. Mostly an accessory item but some have been sold as a factory variation.
    More compact package for vehicle carry but I would rather a six position collapsible stock.

.410 revolvers A recent fad of pointlessness.
    Yeah, don't see the point.

Rossi Ranch Hand

Why, would you, I just don't understand

The in-line muzzleloader concept that has swept the special "muzzle loading" deer seasons by storm.
    So here I am back where I started, the Encore muzzle loader. Some state do have the season as a primative weapon season, ours is muzzle loaded, I hunt to be successful so I take every legal advantage I can get.

There you have it. True confessions about some firearms. Most of these are in the "handgun" category and the pistol gripped shotgun isn't far from it.

Do y'all have any privately held opinions that need to be aired?

I have one peeve I just can't understand and you did not mention: engraved, ornate firearms. Firearms are tools to me and nothing more; I just can't understand decorations.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Well, just to prove that the inline ML is not the deer death ray some people believe it it. Mine had a very ML specific problem this evening, actually two. I had a misfire, cap fired but the charge did not. The deer scattered a bit, but came back. I managed to re cap. On the second shot it had a hangfire, enough time for me to see sparks and hear the cap before the ML charge ignited. And enough time for the doe to wheel around and not be there when the ML went off. After hearing 2 caps go off she was in no mood to stick around.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I don't understand the logic of people saying it's about meat in the freezer, but then " passing up" a shot at any deer. My motto is " if it's brown, it's down".

For me, the spirit of primitive weapon season is to challenge yourself and skills by limiting the tools to those that were used in the pioneer days. Any modern edition such as optics or sabots and inlines departs from the intended spirit.

I can put enough meat in the freezer during the modern gun season. But for the primitive season, it is strictly a time to challenge myself. I don't even use a compound bow anymore, but rather a recurve.

The race for better and " new and improved" in the archery area left a bad taste in my mouth. When something as simple as a compound bow started costing 500-800 bucks, and were being equipped with all manner of gadgetry , I longed for the simplicity that attracted me to it in the first place.

The joy that one has when afield with simple, adequate gear, that the user is competent with, can never be replicated or as fulfilling with high tech gizmos substituted.
    Dadsnugun and bmcgilvray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I don't understand the logic of people saying it's about meat in the freezer, but then " passing up" a shot at any deer. My motto is " if it's brown, it's down".

For me, the spirit of primitive weapon season is to challenge yourself and skills by limiting the tools to those that were used in the pioneer days. Any modern edition such as optics or sabots and inlines departs from the intended spirit.

I can put enough meat in the freezer during the modern gun season. But for the primitive season, it is strictly a time to challenge myself. I don't even use a compound bow anymore, but rather a recurve.

The race for better and " new and improved" in the archery area left a bad taste in my mouth. When something as simple as a compound bow started costing 500-800 bucks, and were being equipped with all manner of gadgetry , I longed for the simplicity that attracted me to it in the first place.

The joy that one has when afield with simple, adequate gear, that the user is competent with, can never be replicated or as fulfilling with high tech gizmos substituted.
    I get what you are saying but in DE and MD we are not allowed modern rifles (shotgun only), the inline M/L is the slosest I can get to reaching out. I bought my first bow in 1977, I stopped the archery arms race about 10 years ago, I love the bow I have now; but I do like the technology.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I don't understand the logic of people saying it's about meat in the freezer, but then " passing up" a shot at any deer.
    My motto is " if it's brown, it's down".
    Say it ain't so!

Michael
    bmcgilvray likes this.

deer 1.jpg

Maybe I should say gray.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I will be picking mine up in a few days. I will have about a grand in it.
    Only a grand...you must not have ordered the extra magazine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links