Firearms Concepts You Never Understood. - Page 4

Firearms Concepts You Never Understood.

This is a discussion on Firearms Concepts You Never Understood. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Oh, shoot a Benelli M1 Tactical versus an M1 Montefeltro, and do it on a shot timer. The benefits of that grip are immediate and ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Firearms Concepts You Never Understood.

Oh, shoot a Benelli M1 Tactical versus an M1 Montefeltro, and do it on a shot timer. The benefits of that grip are immediate and easily identifiable. I use one on my 1100 and have not timed it, but I like it more than the old English style stock that was on it. You get more positive control than with a standard stock.

I have to agree with the rest of your post, Sir!
    Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Oh, shoot a Benelli M1 Tactical versus an M1 Montefeltro, and do it on a shot timer. The benefits of that grip are immediate and easily identifiable. I use one on my 1100 and have not timed it, but I like it more than the old English style stock that was on it. You get more positive control than with a standard stock.

I have to agree with the rest of your post, Sir!
    Dan
    When I think PG shotgun, I think PG only, sans any stock. A PG with a full stock is still quite useful on a shotgun, and I am all for that. But a PG only shotgun, no thanks.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    My addition to the thread isn't really about a gun itself, but a business model. I never understood why a gun company will make hundreds of models of firearms, none of them particularly well, instead of making only models they can do really well.

I agree about the PG shotguns, although I understand why. People buy what they see in the movies and what they think are cool.

.410 revolvers; Gimmick, kinda fun... but no practical application IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    My addition to the thread isn't really about a gun itself, but a business model. I never understood why a gun company will make hundreds of models of firearms, none of them particularly well, instead of making only models they can do really well.

I agree about the PG shotguns, although I understand why. People buy what they see in the movies and what they think are cool.

.410 revolvers; Gimmick, kinda fun... but no practical application IMO.
    We all know what brand you are speaking of, just go ahead and say it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    We all know what brand you are speaking of, just go ahead and say it.
    Maybe he's speaking of S&W. AKA the company that decided to not only make a late entry on the .410 bandwagon, but named it, "The Governor".
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Administrator
    Actually, yeah, S&W are guilty too. They should stick to revolvers and the M&P line up. They have but out some junk trying to compete with the specialty lines.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have to disagree on the 410 revolver. While I was not happy with my Taurus Judge based wholly on terrible QC issues (I actually sold it before I even fired it once) because I considered it to be unsafe. However, I fully intend to buy one of the S&W Governor's. Mainly because it will be nice to have a firing platform that will digest all of the three calibers that I already have in bulk. My S&W 460 fires 45 Colt and I have a bunch of that. Of course I own 4 45acp autos and I have tons of THAT. I also stocked up on 410 for my Taurus and I consider that a viable round for my wife to use in the car. Because that was the initial purpose of the Judge. Strictly carjacker medicine.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I don't understand the logic of people saying it's about meat in the freezer, but then " passing up" a shot at any deer. My motto is " if it's brown, it's down".
    I hear ya, assuming that's for me. But he gave me one good shot, and I just did not react in time. He caught me off guard to begin with, I was getting ready to, uuhm, relieve myself. The time it took to sit down and get my rifle from the rack would have been time I would have set up for a shot. So I was behind the 8 ball already. I was stuck trying to get into position with him facing me, and probably get busted, or shooting him at a very hard quartering away angle. I would have likely gut shot him to get into the chest, no thanks. Add to that, the chase phase of the rut has not really come on yet and I only get 2 buck tags. I don't want to burn them too soon. I took the shot at the doe because I have 4 doe tags, and can use buck tags for does if I need to.

In NC, hunting ML seasons gets you out two weeks earlier than rifle season. And usually they are chasing during ML season and starting to rut for the first week of firearms season. I'm hoping they turn on next week. I'm not in it only for the rack, but I don't want to put 2 spikes on the ground and have a nice buck come by with no tags either. If I had the choice between a spike and a doe of similar size, I'd take the doe.

We just recently went to the entire season being able to shoot does here too. Before that, you either had to shoot does with a bow, ML, or on the 2 days during gun season that were doe days. So, that brought me into ML hunting too. Not having to pass on every doe like with rifle season.

The whiz bang gadgetry does not make all the difference. I have a whiz bang compound bow. It's so accurate I can't shoot at the same dot on the target more than once. But from a tree stand, either me or the bow just falls apart. I shot a little doe this year, first deer with my bow in 3 years. I've shot at probably 6. So the reason it's still fun is, even with all the whiz bang stuff, it's just not automatic. You're still hunting a critter with good instincts to survive and there is plenty that can go wrong.

You started hunting yet?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

... My motto is " if it's brown, it's down".
    Reminds me of one of my earliest exposures to firearms. Two boys, one almost and one barely a teenager walking across an unoccupied cattle pasture hunting cow pies with a single shot .410. The tall soft ones were just shot where they laid. The shorter, crisp on the outside and soft in the middle were given a toss like it were a Frisbee. These were the most dangerous ones since you never could know for sure whether they would hold up to the force or just explode in your hand.

Just so I don't derail this thread. I've never found a firearm concept I didn't understand. I have, however, found several that I wouldn't vote for.
    Last edited by Doghandler; November 6th, 2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: could never or never could get that one

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Only a grand...you must not have ordered the extra magazine.
    No, my Glock, my slide with the work done by a guy in-state.

chiefjason, no I havent. Season comes in next weekend for modern gun. We only have one ml weekend in Oct and a week of ml in Dec. During MG I can take 3 does and one buck. I usually pass on the bucks, but sometimes they won't go away so they get busted too, if that's the case.

I killed a doe last year and a buck had been trailing her. It was an old 6 pointer. I yelled repeatedly at it and made alot of noise to get it to go away, but in the end, it didn't, so dropped the hammer on it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

chiefjason, no I havent. Season comes in next weekend for modern gun.
    Good luck. I've gotten that one little doe during bow season. Still some in the freezer from last year too, so maybe I don't feel the rush like usual. But my wife really wants more deer sausage so I should probably get on that. I moved my treestand after seeing the spike. I'll be in better position next time. He may not get so lucky again.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I can agree with pretty much everything in the OP. I will say that the .410 handguns would probably be useful snake guns (probably not the best you could get, but they would work). As far as those go, that's all I got. I think they're kind of cool but undeniably pointless.

Mine are bird shot for HD shotguns, glaser safety slugs and their ilk, OC vs CC argument (both should be completely legal, no permit required), and the lego-ARs that have easily cost 3X what the rifle initially cost because of all the accessories. Seems silly to me but I guess it's good the owners of these contraptions are enjoying themselves. Good topic!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    No, my Glock, my slide with the work done by a guy in-state.
    Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - Drill and Tap Slide for red dot sight installation - $39.95 40 bucks to mill slide from LoneWolf , I guess caveman simple wasn't paying the bills for the other place.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links