Rifle storage

This is a discussion on Rifle storage within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know that ultimately it is up to me and my comfort level, but how many of you store your rifles in a display type ...

Thread: Rifle storage

Rifle storage

I know that ultimately it is up to me and my comfort level, but how many of you store your rifles in a display type locking cabinet? I am looking into purchasing some type of cabinet or safe, I really like the display style cabinets, but wonder about how secure the rifles would be. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    When you say, "display cabinets", I'm assuming you're talking about the pretty wood cabinets that use glass in the front, sides and doors (gun cabinet). IMO, I would consider this to be an aesthetic piece with little to no real ability of providing security. With the front doors locked, it might keep the kids out but a burglar or thief is going to think nothing of busting the glass out to get your guns.

When storing your rifles, you may also want to consider the humidity in the air and protecting them from that as well. I'm not sure as to how air tight display cabinets are but I would assume that they're not, etc. By storing your guns in a safe or a tight case, you can place a dessiccant dehumidifier in with your rifle and this will help prevent corrosion. I'm not really sure how effective the dessiccant will be in a display case.

Like you previously stated, ultimately it will be your comfort level that will determine the storage solution you opt for in the end. For me, I believe the aesthetic that the display cabinet has to offer doesn't override the trade-offs you have to make when opting for that option. If it were me and I had the money to do so, I would opt for a nice safe. Although I don't have anything that has the elegance to be at home in a display case, I'm hesitant to display what I do have or own. Guns are very popular things to steal and in my mind's eye, a nice display cabinet full of guns is too much temptation for any thief or would-be thief to pass up.

A previous house came with a built-in gun case/book shelf arrangement. I stuck some long arms in the glass-fronted case but never really felt good about them being out for all to see. Thankfully, the case was on the same wall as the exterior windows in that room so no one could look in and see them. Still, casual acquaintances, our childrens' friends, repairmen etc. all saw the rifles as they walked through the room and I wasn't too keen on that.

It is said that long arms are best stored horizontally so as to keep oil from running into the stock bedding. I never had the luxury of the space to put mine up that way. I just don't drown them in oil.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    While a gun cabinet is nice for displaying guns, 99% are not built with security of the gun in mind. If you want security for your guns, go with a safe.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

RKM
    The display cabinets would be great as decoration if they were to use bullet-proof, automotive windshield glass. They could be made secure, but it's probably going to cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. A safe is a better idea.

I might put the air rifles in a 'display' case since the safe is close to full, and possibly the low-value antique guns, but - nothing with serious street value or repeating arms.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I agree that a safe is the way to go for both safety and rust prevention. If you just got to "display", my father in law uses a lock and metal cable to secure the guns to the cabinet and wall (They are not going anywhere without his permission). A chain works too I guess if your rifles and shotties have big enuff trigger guards) . I perfer the safe myself.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

My "display" rifle case was a gift, and I enjoy the "display" aspect of it...thing is, the display is for my benefit, it's not in a room that what few visitors we have would typically enter, you can't see it from a window, and if I don't know you, you're not making it past the front door. That being said, it's not as secure as a safe, but was never intended to be...just nice to look at sometimes when I glance up from a book, or magazine.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Thanks all!!! Pretty much confirmed what I had already thought, but hadn't given any thoughts to humidity control, but yup, that seals the deal, there is a safe in next months budget!!!
    "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack" - Master Yoda

Member of NRA, GOA, SAF, NAGR, CCDL

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 97tbird View Post
    Thanks all!!! Pretty much confirmed what I had already thought, but hadn't given any thoughts to humidity control, but yup, that seals the deal, there is a safe in next months budget!!!
    Very cool.

If you need ideas about a safe to get, there are some good threads on here that deal with the subject matter you might want to look at if you haven't already done so.

Talk to a local locksmith or gunsmith to see if anyone is looking to sell one used. I got a great deal on an older one that way and I was able to re-program the lock.

Oh, and however big a safe you think you need, get one half again that size.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links