Browning or Ruger .22?

Browning or Ruger .22?

This is a discussion on Browning or Ruger .22? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to buy a 22. Either Browning or Ruger. What are the major differences in them? which is easiest to strip and clean? please ...

Browning or Ruger .22?

I want to buy a 22. Either Browning or Ruger. What are the major differences in them? which is easiest to strip and clean? please if you can, be specific in your reply if you have experience with both. Thank you

VIP Member
    Personally I prefer the Ruger .22. Tried and true design. If ease of takedown for cleaning is one of your deciding factors, you'll want to go with the Browning. The Ruger pistols can be a royal pain to take apart and put back together, if your not doing it on a regular basis.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

TJx
    I have no experience with Ruger 22's other than dry firing the heavy trigger pull in gun shops.
    I have a Browning Buckmark and love it. It is the most basic model.
    It is accurate with a very good factory trigger pull and very rarely jams and that is when I'm closing in on the end of a brick without cleaning.
    Dis-assembly is not bad, only downside is you have to bore clean it from the muzzle end.
    I've shot 10,000 rounds through it with zero problems since 1993 and it still works just as good as the day I bought it.
    Another nice thing the number of variations that Browning makes, it is only a matter of time before I buy another.
    Hope this helps.

Aside from cleaning my Ruger MK III, it's a great gun to shoot. Cleaning is a pain because I don't do it often enough outside of the summer months when I do most of my shooting.

One of the best .22 pistols around though. I'd buy another one without hesitation.

Cleaning my Ruger is a hassle but I would buy another in a heartbeat.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

You can't go wrong with either one. I've shot both a lot and when I bought one I personally went with the Browning. My main reasons were:

1) Ease of disassembly and cleaning
    2) Super sweet trigger
    3) Molded Grip fit my hand better
    4) You can interchange various length barrels and scope rails easily
    5) The adjustable open sights are very easy to dial in small increments

The ability to easily change barrels with either Browning or after-market barrels was a big plus for me. Mine has a 4" bbl on it, but I can rather inexpensively put a Browning 9.25" bbl and scope rail on it and reach out and touch stuff. It shoots very accurately with the 4" bbl and open sights though.

In reality, both are great pistols and it just comes down to a few minor preferences.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    There both great guns & I know shooters in both camps. Both camps happy with there choice. So really its whatever trips your trigger. (my .22 auto is a Colt cadet & I Love it!)

Links