What happens when you pack it in

This is a discussion on What happens when you pack it in within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok talking about packing it in as far as your arms . I have no children of my own but want to leave them to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What happens when you pack it in

What happens when you pack it in

Ok talking about packing it in as far as your arms .

I have no children of my own but want to leave them to my nephews

Hope not to be packing any time soon

Question how is it done with out causeing any problems

2. Remove Ads

Quitting. Could be a warning sign, anyone distraught and may be considering suicide?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Quitting. Could be a warning sign, anyone distraught and may be considering suicide?
    Sorry I jumped the gun on the thread

Put it in your will. That makes sure it happens and your wishes are fulfilled. Problems ? People cause problems, it is what they do, and family (blood) are no exceptions. Anyone who feels "left out" or "unequal" in the process of inheritance will cry "unfair". Maybe I'm cold hearted or just logical about stuff but my step-son (who shots and drools over my stash) gets the firearms and my daughter (who would just sell them for cheap) doesn't. Not unfair just smart. Thus the WILL. It is your stuff, so do what you want with it and the hell with everyone else. You can't please everyone anyway.At some point in life you just realize that no matter what you do someone gets their feelings hurt and bitches about it.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Better yet,give your nephews what you want them to have now.
    MinistrMalic likes this.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    Sorry I jumped the gun on the thread
    Good to hear!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    Better yet,give your nephews what you want them to have now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is a great option, especially if you have what you need, to go hunting, SD and sport/matches etc,etc,etc.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I don't know your family dynamics and if there would be a fight over your property,put it in the will,and if you get to the point you get stuck in a nursing home etc.I would give them the guns at that point and update the will to reflect that the guns are no longer part of the estate
    JerryMac likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I don't know your family dynamics and if there would be a fight over your property,put it in the will,and if you get to the point you get stuck in a nursing home etc.I would give them the guns at that point and update the will to reflect that the guns are no longer part of the estate
    This is a good, common sense suggestion. However, it precipitates a whole other subject for discussion. The complex legalities of transferring ownership, either while living or, through a will when deceased, to direct family members (sons) residing in different states from your state of residence.

I'm going to start a separate thread on that subject since there are several possible variables and I'd really appreciate some expert advice on "how-to" legally accomplish this from someone who may have some experience with the subject.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    My advice to you is give it to him before you die that way you get to see the happiness you caused.If you get stuck in a nursing home last time I knew medicare or which ever agency pays only 88 days
    and then they go looking for your assets.When I did my will my attorney said I am sure you have told your kids who gets what. I have one who did me wrong and they get zero my youngest gets everything
    it's not much but it's my lifes work.

I would definatly have it in writing , not sure how your family is on stuff like that or fighteing over whos is whos, ect. But if it is something I know the nephews want, I would go ahead and give it to them now, as long as it is not something that you are using or needing.
    This way there is no question as to who gets what.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Assuming you own other things beside guns. House ,cars, trucks boats or just stuff around your home set up a trust. that well help with the basics for distribution and maybe have a good friend to make the finall call on what goes to who.

VIP Member
    A will or a trust is what you need. A lawyer is who to talk to about the details.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    With three boys, I've never sold a firearm. They stay in the family as soon as I consider them safe queens. That way I don't have to clean them. If they lived out of state, they would be sent to their local FFL. Now my 45, they'd have to pry it from my CD hands.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

My will states that my oldest son is to dispense of my guns as he has been instructed. In my safe is a list of all of my firearms with a handwritten note as to which child, in-law, or grand child is to get each. This way when I buy or trade for something new, I can add them to the inventory and distribution list. I have a good lawyer and he has vetted this system and I have a trustee for handling this. I am safe in saying that there will not be a fight over what little Mama Bear and I have--we have seen it destroy other families and have confidence in our children and their children to get along and do what is fair and right. I have already started to give away some of my stuff when a particular individual displays particular interest. Gave my son a black powder pistol today because his was destroyed in a fire during this Texas fire season. He had it at his work week residence. Thank goodness that was the only firearm destroyed as the value of other things was bad enough.

Another thing that with this list in security safes is a "story list." This takes certain guns and tells their story. When, when, how and what they meant to Dad/Grandad. No one knows the stories like the owner--pass it down as the story may mean more on some of your guns than the gun itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links