Colt Lawman MK-3 for Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Colt Lawman MK-3 for Concealed Carry within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a friend who just "inherited" a Colt Lawman MK-3 .357 (4-in barrel) and plans to carry it until she can purchase a smaller ...

Thread: Colt Lawman MK-3 for Concealed Carry

Colt Lawman MK-3 for Concealed Carry

I have a friend who just "inherited" a Colt Lawman MK-3 .357 (4-in barrel) and plans to carry it until she can purchase a smaller CCW. (Likely a smaller .38 or .357)

Does anyone have any comments on this gun? (Other than it is a bit large for CCW.)

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The Lawman MKIII is a nice 357. It is a bit heavy but can be used as a carry gun. All it needs is a good IWB holster and good belt.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Two guns said it. The only other reasonable possibilities are to adapt a Smith & Wesson L-Frame IWB holster to it and I don't know how many IWB L-Frame holsters are sold or else wear it in a shoulder holster beneath a concealing garment. She can get by with it this time of year but next summer might be a bit toasty.

If she tries to purse-carry it then she'll risk loss through purse snatching. She'll also have drooping shoulders from carrying the weighty purse. She'd also have quite a weapon if she just chose to hit her assailant with her purse loaded down with a Colt Lawman.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have the Colt Trooper MK III which is very similar. It is very accurate. I bought a shoulder holster for it but I only use it on the range. I have a smaller handgun for CCW...
    Last edited by shooter76blue; November 7th, 2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Purse carry, there are some creative purse designs that put the gun in the side of the purse, in it's own little pocket.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Thanks for the comments! I'll pass them along!

I'm not sure how attached she is to the gun,but she can either sale or trade that gun for a more concealable revolver or Semi Auto carry gun,I don't really like the idea of off body carry,if somebody grabbed her purse,they would then have her gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I generally discourage off-body carry although the wife sometimes does it. The gun was her father's and she won't part with it. As I said in my original post, she will eventually purchase a smaller CCW but with money being tight, it might be a little while.

I will try and see what I can do to help her this weekend. I am not familiar with this gun. I suspect the weight and the cylinder width might be the biggest challenges.

Links