Defensive Carry banner

Sending parts USPS?

13K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  JD 
#1 ·
I know it's not legal to send a gun USPS but what about parts i.e. Slide and barrel only?

#5 ·
Nope. I order frequently from Top Gun Supply, they only ship USPS. Got my Glock 23 that way. I have returned a pistol via USPS. I have sent several pistols to buds via USPS. NO FFL required.

Edit: I do not personally receive the pistols from Top Gun, my FFL does. But I have personally shipped pistols via USPS.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

#6 ·
You must have an FFL to ship a handgun (or frame) thru the USPS.

My advice to anyone else is DO NOT TRY IT if you do not have an FFL.

An FFL can ship it thru the USPS for you. But you cannot send the frame/firearm yourself at the post office, nor can you have a firearm/frame being delivered directly to your home by the USPS as a non FFL holder.

Doing so otherwise can get you arrested

#7 ·
Hmmm. Shipped three SIG pistols to Gurney at Buds on three seperate occasions. An FFL is not required to send a pistol in for repair or service provided the recipient is an FFL. One pistol I shipped, I said it was a firearm, she asked if it was loaded...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

#8 ·
USPS = United States Postal Service (US Mail). UPS = United Parcel Service...are you sure you sent a pistol through US MAIL?

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html
Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

#14 ·
The slide, barrel & parts can all go U.S.P.S. but, not the serial numbered frame. You should ship INSURED & with additional Delivery Confirmation if possible. That way you can track your package at USPS.com.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.