Defensive Carry banner

How much finger on the trigger?

10K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  neverenough 
#1 ·
I am the proud new owner of a G23 and have been regaining my proficiency with a hand gun. I really do not want to learn bad habits so before I put too many more rounds through it, how much finger is best for good trigger control? Do you place the middle of the pad on the trigger, between the middle and the first knuckle, at or beyond the first knuckle?

I want the best placement for good trigger control for accuracy. What say you?

#2 ·
Congrats on the Glock. Mine naturally fits in the crease of the first knuckle. Train to leverage the trigger reset.

#3 ·
First, you need to try slightly different positions and see what works best for you. For me, the trigger placement is nearer the first joint than it is the tip of my finger. Beyond that, keep a high grip and practice a lot of dry firing to work on a consistent and straight trigger pull.

BTW, welcome and congrats on the 23. They are oh so reliable. I've had one (gen 3) for several years and have no complaints.

#4 ·
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I know what has worked for me, and was taught to me by a Marine buddy. The trick is to make your trigger squeeze direct pressure directly back so you don't move the weapon to the side when you fire. I've read the first crease (where there's the least meat) is proper, but personally, I like to use as little finger as possible. For me this is about 1/2 to 3/5's down my finger tip pad. Practice dry firing (a laser is perfect for this) and see where you get the least deflection. My dry fire laser practice routine is to push the front sight out to the target, thumb over thumb grip, weak side fingers in the valleys of the grip fingers, and the goal is zero deflection of the red dot when the trigger breaks. I've also read this is wrong, but I also find the squeeze of the grip is key. I squeeze the grip hard, push out hard, and use as little trigger finger as necessary. With the G23, you'll also need to play with trigger reset. You only have to let the trigger out about a quarter to get full reset. Dry fire and hold the trigger in, then slowly release the trigger and learn where the reset occurs. You don't have to go far. This results in quicker follow ups and spectacularly quick double taps as you let the first recoil raise the sights from center mass to the next head shot. Like I said, I'm just stating what works for me. Good luck with your new gun. It's an A+ in my book. The most reliable, accurate, and easiest way to carry 27 shots (with a spare mag).

#5 ·
I have been experimenting with trigger reset and understand where it is but certainly need much more practice. I have 1000 rounds scheduled for the front door tomorrow. I also want my mechanics sound so I don't have overcome myself but can reasonably rely on good technique. That way I can concentrate on the target and let the rest happen.

Thanks for the replies.

#7 ·
Generally somewhere on the middle of the first pad to the first joint is the most common. As another said, find out what works best for you. In regards to accuracy it doesn't matter where you put your finger on the trigger. If the trigger is pressed properly and your sites are lined up properly you will get a bullseye everytime. If you're not interested in getting instruction froma reputable firearm instructor then I recommend purchasing the DVD "Shooting Missology" by James Yeager. Easy to follow and if you put a little range time in what you learn in the DVD you will become a good "good shot."

#10 ·
I learned to use the pad of the index finger, not in the joint crease. I couldn't tell you if it is proper technique or not according to any experts, but I've been shooting that way for over 30 years and it works for me and I'm able to be consistent with it. Different things may work better for different people. For me, the end of the pad allows me to pull the trigger straight back whereas shooting with the crease of the first joint causes me to shoot left. I can't explain why.

#11 ·
Right handed, the pad of my index ginger, the point on the pad (center of fingerprint) is just o the right of the trigger safety, when gripping left handed replace the word right with the word left both times. I practice both ways one handed, and right handed I also practice supported grip, I really do not spend any time with supported left hand grip though. I've found that putting my finger there eliminates the snap to the left at the break point, that I had some trouble with when going all the way to the joint.

#12 ·
Pad for me too for shooting most anything, right in the center of the fingerprint.

Well, except for shooting the Nagant revolver double-action. For that one I place the arch of my foot against the trigger and push with my leg.

Reactions: BugDude
#13 ·
I have been practicing dry-firing and still need more practice until the position of the finger becomes more natural. I need to get to the range next week and see how my group looks too. Practice, practice, practice. Yet, practice with a purpose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.