Defensive Carry banner

The Sig Sauer 1911 .22

16K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  msgt/ret 
#1 ·
I walked into one of the gunshops that I frequent awhile back to find the owner of it smiling at me. He was expecting me, as I am off work every Friday and I make it a habit to visit there at least once a week. We do alot of things together in the world of guns, and it has been very profitable for both of us.

"Check this out", he said, pointing at several new boxes of pistols that the UPS man had just dropped off. "I've got something that you need to look at."

Knowing that I am partial to both Sigs and Government Model .45's he made a statement to his help that I wouldn't be walking out of the store without one.

I didn't believe it. I'm not the kind of guy that impulsively buys anything, I usually study up on it a bit and check several sources. He opened the case and handed me a Sig .45-22. The gun felt great. Naturally, I started the normal checks, hammer,trigger, slide-stop, sights, this thing looked good. Here was both a Sig and a Government model clone that felt almost exactly like a full sized .45 that was a .22 caliber.

He had 3 different models, a blued one and one in Dark Earth and one in Olive Drab. I like the way all of them looked and the finish on all was well done.

"Thats a pretty good looking gun" I said. "If it had a threaded barrel to mount a suppressor on it I might walk out of here with it". He laughed, looking at the other guy behind the counters and said,"I told you so". So he racks the slide back and proceeds to unscrew the thread protected on the barrel. It looks like part of the barrel and the fact that it is all hidden by the slide makes it all but invisible.

Thinking that I have backed myself into a hole that I couldn't crawl out of, I noticed that it had metric threads, after all, the gun does say it is made in Germany. " It's too bad that it has metric threads" I said. I'd have to buy an adapter for it to work on my stuff. "
"Yeah, I figured you'd say that", he said as he dug into his pocket and pulled out exactly what was needed to mount the standard 1/2 -28 suppressor. He placed the adapter on the counter in front of the case and he told me that he ordered several adapters just because.

"OK" I said. "Whats my price"?. He goes to the computer and he checks to see how much he has in it. When he told me what it cost him, I got to figuring it up in my head, and I could actually buy it from him cheaper than I could order it myself as he gets volume discounts and reduced shipping rates that I cant compete with.

He was right. I walked out with the gun and adapter in hand.:image035:

Naturally, I got home and had to shoot it. I shot it with several different kinds of ammo, even including the el cheapo Remington Subsonic and the better CCI subsonic stuff and I really expected it to not cycle with either, but the gun was 100 percent in every category. It shot very well and displayed some great accuracy. I put a suppressor on it and it was still 100 percent, which is something that frequently causes some guns to malfunction but this Sig handled it all very well.

Its accurate enough that one could take small game with it, but I suspect it'll be mostly a fun gun, and this thing is a blast to shoot. If you like the big .45 Government models, I would recommend this one as its got all the attributes minus the recoil, the noise and the expense.

Here's a picture of it because a thread like this is worthless without pics.

See less See more
#6 ·
I just bought a GSG 1911-22 and the store that I bought it at also had a SIG SAUER 45-22. The two pistols looked they were identical except for the name on the box and the pistol. The GSG pistol was $50.00 cheaper therefore I took that one.

#9 ·
I've been told that Sig and GSG are sister companys and that the owners of both are brothers. GSG actually makes the guns, the parts are interchangable. The GSGs being imported from Germany,generally cost more than the Sigs which are assembled here in the states, because the Sigs dont have the import taxes on them that the GSG's do. So...I've been told.

Can anyone confirm any truth to this?

I know that the guns are identical, except for the markings and the parts are interchangable. In this area the Sigs are cheaper, but in others it appears that the GSG may be, so I'm not sure about the info being accurate.

#12 ·
Sig 1911 22

"Naturally, I got home and had to shoot it. I shot it with several different kinds of ammo, even including the el cheapo Remington Subsonic and the better CCI subsonic stuff and I really expected it to not cycle with either, but the gun was 100 percent in every category. It shot very well and displayed some great accuracy. I put a suppressor on it and it was still 100 percent, which is something that frequently causes some guns to malfunction but this Sig handled it all very well."

]
Hello from a new member,

I was surprised to hear about your new gun working with subsonic ammo right out of the box.

I picked my SIG 1911-22 in the first week of December 2011 and have been pretty much torture testing it with many brands of .22 ammo. To date I have put over 5000 rounds through and noticed that initally, I had to use higher powered CCI mini mags, Blazer or other 40 grain ammo with speeds over subsonic.If I tried to use the less expensive Winchester 36 grain in the 555 bulk box, it would fail to cycle the slide far enough back to strip another round out of the magazine. Over time, this only happened in the first 2 or 3 rounds loaded in the magazine. As of 2 days ago, it started properly fireing the entire magazine with the occasional first feed ( actually the second round in the mag ) haveing to be manually cycled. Remember, I said that this took over 5000 rounds to do this.

I have polished and lubed the slide rails and pre stressed the magazine spring to get this reliability. Please do not misunderstand me. I would purchase another one in a second. It has become my favorite pistol for fun plinking and training and every one I have let shoot it is seriously thinking of getting one for themselves. I just want to alert people that there might be a break in period so not get fustrated. Use high powered .22 rimfire at first and initally clean after every 150 rounds. I modified mine to shoot without the magazine in like my KImber and Colt .45. Also, the GSG magazines which usually sell for $10 cheaper will work fine in the SIG.

Have fun

#16 ·
Nice..

#17 ·
I was surprised to hear about your new gun working with subsonic ammo right out of the box.
Not as suprised as I was. It did work and it worked great. It may be that the suppressor put enough back pressure on it to make it work right out of the box.

Since then, its been though several thousand rounds, although I'll admit that most of them have been surpressed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.