Hits On Target

Hits On Target

This is a discussion on Hits On Target within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Two hits to the thoracic cavity from concealment 5yds. What do you think a reasonable time is to get two hits on target?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hits On Target

Hits On Target

Two hits to the thoracic cavity from concealment 5yds. What do you think a reasonable time is to get two hits on target?
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

Is the target moving? Are you moving? Low light or daytime? DAO or safety engaged? Cover garments? Location of weapon? aiwb?side?back?pocket?ankle?

Quote Originally Posted by 9 Micky Mouse View Post
    Two hits to the thoracic cavity from concealment 5yds. What do you think a reasonable time is to get two hits on target?
    Reasonable time? What's the difference in your continued living or death? Exactly how many seconds separate you from continued life or death? What is a "reasonable time"? A question only answered by the inquirer no doubt. The day you die is the day you'll quit asking questions and getting answers. Time is relative. How much you have left is relative.

From a stationary position, firing on a stationary target, less than 1.5 seconds.

The idea is that a human can cover 7 yards in 1.5 seconds, give or take. At 5 yards the time diminishes quickly, best move and create more time/distance.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    From a stationary position, firing on a stationary target, less than 1.5 seconds.

The idea is that a human can cover 7 yards in 1.5 seconds, give or take. At 5 yards the time diminishes quickly, best move and create more time/distance.
    Basic idea is that we tend to over-think things. That clouds our mind in the here and now. Just like guessing what happens in the future. Each and every one of us exist by ourselves....... Once you forget about your dependence on others, all will become more clear. If you are dependent on others, then you are lost and I cannot help you.

Make sure you get that first hit. Like an old west gunfighter said, " take your time in a hurry".

And I think Wyatt Earp said ," speed is good, but accuracy is final".
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Basic idea is that we tend to over-think things.
    So terribly true... and everybody wants to measure or judge things by numbers. If you can draw and hit center mass reliably in 1.5 seconds, is that fast enough? How about 1.6, or 1.4 seconds? Is your "center mass" target 8 inches in diameter, or 9 inches? Were you 6 yards away, or 7?

I enjoy shooting games, like the steel matches I shoot 2-3 times a month, but - they're just games on a square range with no one shooting back. I view 'em as a way to keep the skills current and the little bit of adrenaline that flows due to the competitive aspect is a good thing.

My point is to strive for excellence, but holding yourself to arbitrary standards drives you to chase a number rather than to address a situation. Revisit your goals from time to time, and keep it real.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Buy an airsoft gun and regularly take force on force classes to get as close to the real thing as possible. Or just move to columbia.

Just keep practicing... until you get down to what you think is the best you can do it. DO NOT just jump in and do it as fast as you can and shoot yourself in the process. Work up to it, until you have good SAFE trigger memory. When and when NOT to have the finger on the trigger, is kind of important ....

More LEO's have shot themselves in the toes or leg from dumb cowboy fast draw contests "with the boys" ... and that they had never done before, than I can count.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Get a shot timer.

Benchmark your skill.

Then, try to go faster with keeping the same accuracy standard.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    From concealment and in real life you are talking about 3 to 4 seconds for someone to draw and shoot. At the range when I'm not frightened or being stabbed I can do it consistently in about 1.10 to 1.25 seconds for a draw and two hits.

The real answer though is that in life there are no set answers. The only time that matters is whether or not you are fast enough to survive.

In the real world fast may mean seeing the threat earlier and evading.
    Fast may mean seeing the threat early and having 5 to 6 seconds of extra time to get off the X and draw your weapon while finding cover.
    Sadly, fast may also mean that he was fast enough to get inside of your draw and stab you to death.
    Fast is relative because real life is usually not about the quick draw. It's about seeing, understanding and correctly acting in order to stay alive.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    a second and a half to two seconds.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Work on your double-tap! Maybe half a second.
    Carry: Sig P238
    Home: Stoeger Couger 8000F 9mm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by odeaar View Post
    Clearly you have never actually done this with a timer.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by odeaar View Post
    half a second? I think that is faster than the world record holders
    hienykins likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links