Defensive Carry banner

Hits On Target

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  SamF 
#1 ·
Two hits to the thoracic cavity from concealment 5yds. What do you think a reasonable time is to get two hits on target?

#3 ·
Reasonable time? What's the difference in your continued living or death? Exactly how many seconds separate you from continued life or death? What is a "reasonable time"? A question only answered by the inquirer no doubt. The day you die is the day you'll quit asking questions and getting answers. Time is relative. How much you have left is relative.

#4 ·
From a stationary position, firing on a stationary target, less than 1.5 seconds.

The idea is that a human can cover 7 yards in 1.5 seconds, give or take. At 5 yards the time diminishes quickly, best move and create more time/distance.

#5 ·
Basic idea is that we tend to over-think things. That clouds our mind in the here and now. Just like guessing what happens in the future. Each and every one of us exist by ourselves....... Once you forget about your dependence on others, all will become more clear. If you are dependent on others, then you are lost and I cannot help you.

#6 ·
Make sure you get that first hit. Like an old west gunfighter said, " take your time in a hurry".

And I think Wyatt Earp said ," speed is good, but accuracy is final".

#9 ·
Just keep practicing... until you get down to what you think is the best you can do it. DO NOT just jump in and do it as fast as you can and shoot yourself in the process. Work up to it, until you have good SAFE trigger memory. When and when NOT to have the finger on the trigger, is kind of important ....

More LEO's have shot themselves in the toes or leg from dumb cowboy fast draw contests "with the boys" ... and that they had never done before, than I can count.

#11 ·
From concealment and in real life you are talking about 3 to 4 seconds for someone to draw and shoot. At the range when I'm not frightened or being stabbed I can do it consistently in about 1.10 to 1.25 seconds for a draw and two hits.

The real answer though is that in life there are no set answers. The only time that matters is whether or not you are fast enough to survive.

In the real world fast may mean seeing the threat earlier and evading.
Fast may mean seeing the threat early and having 5 to 6 seconds of extra time to get off the X and draw your weapon while finding cover.
Sadly, fast may also mean that he was fast enough to get inside of your draw and stab you to death.
Fast is relative because real life is usually not about the quick draw. It's about seeing, understanding and correctly acting in order to stay alive.

#17 ·
I can get three hits at 5 yards from a concealed holster at 4 O'Clock to COM while moving quickly in any direction in under 1.9 seconds. So, I think a reasonable time for me at my current level of training is to get two hits in under 1.7 seconds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.