40s&w and gun wear

40s&w and gun wear

This is a discussion on 40s&w and gun wear within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have heard that the 40s&w will wear out a gun faster than a 9mm will. Well I was looking at sammi pressure specs and ...

40s&w and gun wear

I have heard that the 40s&w will wear out a gun faster than a 9mm will. Well I was looking at sammi pressure specs and both the nine and forty are rated at 35,000 psi. So wear is this extra wear on a 40 cal chambered handgun come from? Also if they are both loaded to the same pressure, why does the forty recoil harder than the nine?

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Bigger chunk of lead coming out of the pipe maybe
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by ak74 View Post
    I have heard that the 40s&w will wear out a gun faster than a 9mm will. Well I was looking at sammi pressure specs and both the nine and forty are rated at 35,000 psi. So wear is this extra wear on a 40 cal chambered handgun come from? Also if they are both loaded to the same pressure, why does the forty recoil harder than the nine?
    I have heard a lot of things over the years. If I believed in every one of those things today, I might have never been born. Faith. I'm not sure I have faith in anything but myself. Give me a good reason I should. What is it you wish to have faith in when you seem unable to have faith in anything?

9mm is 34,500 psi and .40 is 37,000psi

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I have heard a lot of things over the years. If I believed in every one of those things today, I might have never been born. Faith. I'm not sure I have faith in anything but myself. Give me a good reason I should. What is it you wish to have faith in when you seem unable to have faith in anything?
    I have faith someone will be able to answer my post. For what its worth I re-read what you wrote about ten times trying to get what it is you are saying...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ak74 View Post
    If a firearm, such as the g19 is originally chambered for the 9mm, and then that same platform is used for a higher pressure cartridge, then yes, there will be some extra wear. Thats the bad news....The good news is that you will probably never be able to shoot that gun enough to notice.

You really have nothing to worry about. In fact, if you can wear it out, consider yourself blessed to shoot that much.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

A gun designed to shoot 40 should not wear out any faster than a similar gun designed to shoot 9. A G23 in 40 and a G19 in 9 shot under similar conditions and maintained in a similar fashion should have similar life expectancies. In reality, if you take proper care of good weapon, you won't be able to wear it out. Abuse it, neglect it, or buy something of poor quality to begin with and you may have a different experience regardless of caliber.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links