how to make a safe backstop for centerfire pistol up to 25 yards

This is a discussion on how to make a safe backstop for centerfire pistol up to 25 yards within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i dont belong to any range. recently i have thought about making my own pistol range ,i looked on the net for resources for making ...

Thread: how to make a safe backstop for centerfire pistol up to 25 yards

how to make a safe backstop for centerfire pistol up to 25 yards

i dont belong to any range. recently i have thought about making my own pistol range ,i looked on the net for resources for making a homemade backstop [that was a reasonable price] and really couldnt find anything that was real useful.if you have something that you use that works really well, post a picture or describe it ,any info would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    old tires filled with sand works for kill houses in the corps seems it would work for a 22 range but i might be wrong

You might want to check this thread.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=12489
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Personally i'd be wary of tires. if the round does not penetrate its gonna bounde back at ya and depending on your distance from the backstop that could be bad.
    I use 3 rows of hay bales about 6 feet high and between rows 2 & 3 it is filled with logs and debris. was intending to use rubbe rmulch that you can buy from a bulk mulch place...make it about 12" thick between the rows of hay bales and its gonna stop a bullet fer sure.
    currently i will see the occassional 9mm round get thru and kick up dirt in the field behind the stop but my 38 and 45 do not penetrate the backstop very often if at all. but i have about 1/4 mile of farm field behind my stop so i feel confident that the bullet speed has been degraded to such a degree that it isn't gonna travel too far if it does get thru.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY View Post
    Personally i'd be wary of tires. if the round does not penetrate its gonna bounde back at ya and depending on your distance from the backstop that could be bad.
    I use 3 rows of hay bales about 6 feet high and between rows 2 & 3 it is filled with logs and debris. was intending to use rubbe rmulch that you can buy from a bulk mulch place...make it about 12" thick between the rows of hay bales and its gonna stop a bullet fer sure.
    currently i will see the occassional 9mm round get thru and kick up dirt in the field behind the stop but my 38 and 45 do not penetrate the backstop very often if at all. but i have about 1/4 mile of farm field behind my stop so i feel confident that the bullet speed has been degraded to such a degree that it isn't gonna travel too far if it does get thru.
    Old railroad crossties as the final backing will stop any handgun round from penetrating the backstop. Of course being able to put the entire backstop in front of a clay bank eliminates the need for the crossties.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar

Old railroad crossties as the final backing will stop any handgun round from penetrating the backstop. Of course being able to put the entire backstop in front of a clay bank eliminates the need for the crossties.

Railroad ties are the absolute best at making the final backing on a backstop. No handgun round will penetrate them..and the price is right (free in many places).
    Fear No Evil.

Senior Moderator
    The NRA is happy to provide range development information.

http://nrahq.org/shootingrange/index.asp

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

thanks for all the help guys!the railroad ties seem like a really good backstop.anbody got any pics of their range setup ?something homemade?

I know a stack of treated 4X4's wont stop a 9mm or a 40 practice round. I was really surprised!!!! I spent alot of time bolting them together to hang targets on.

Luckily I live in the boonies and have a large hillside to shoot into.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Backstop

About 10 years ago we build a "Shoothouse" for our dept.'s "Tac-Team" out of old Railroad ties.It was constructed of two layers of "cross-ties" (basically building walls with two layers, and filled the center with gravel and sand). We left approximately one "cross-tie" width between the two for filling with the gravel and sand. The walls were built approximately 8-9 ft. tall, higher in some places where needed. (making sure to put plenty of gravel inside in the event that a round happens to go between the ties. The house still works well, just need to "re-gravel & sand" the inside from time to time.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Links