Recording Range scores

Recording Range scores

This is a discussion on Recording Range scores within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone know of programs or ways to track range progress. Interested in means to actually scan in a target and then mark it with the ...

Thread: Recording Range scores

Recording Range scores

Anyone know of programs or ways to track range progress. Interested in means to actually scan in a target
    and then mark it with the actual hits. Idea being to see progress over time from range and training sessions. If not able to do this maybe some way to record numerical scores. We have our own range area on our property, so we have the ability to practice or train at will. Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.

Look into the NRA pistol Marksmanship program. They have guidelines that progressively get harder and require more accuracy the higher level you get to.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    When I was shooting in the Military, we recorded all that in a book (Which I still have). Each page had room for the weapon, caliber, place, time, weather conditions, sight settings, and course of fire.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thanks, rstickle. Have been using a book with weapon, caliber, course, and rounds fired. Never kept scores though. Did find a program to scan or use photos of target that will calculate group sizes etc. Stores
    each target results. Will try it today, maybe.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! BTW, My dad retired 22 yrs EOD. Last duty as SGM with 553rd at Ft Campbell. Lot' of boom over those years, still miss some.

I photograph my targets, then use a photo editor (Paintshop Pro - even older versions like 5 are fine) to crop and blow them up, then measure group size. No, it's not automated, but it's convenient and I don't need to drag out my drafting tools (compass, dividers, circle templates) as I used to.

In the example attached, the sighting-in target provided the size reference with the 1" grid on the target. You could simply add a 6" scale (sorry, 'ruler') to your photo to provide a calibration reference.
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links