9mm Carbine Help

This is a discussion on 9mm Carbine Help within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Ruger PC4 (.40 S&W) that my Dad bought in 2001, fun little shooter!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm Carbine Help

VIP Member
    I have a Ruger PC4 (.40 S&W) that my Dad bought in 2001, fun little shooter!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

2. Remove Ads

I just picked up a Ruger PC9 and have had the HiPoint 45 carbine for about 4 months. Both are a lot of fun to shoot and are fairly accurate for what they are- not to mention, I reload so they are cheap to shoot.

Let me say, I like pistol caliber carbines. I have .375 levers, Ruger PC9. Marlin Camp 45, Kel tec 40 as and yes the Hi-Point 995. If you set them all on the table at the range and let the older kids and teenagers have their choice--the 995 is picked up first. I don't have much more money in the Ruger, Marlin, Kel Tec and Hi-Point that I bought or traded for used than a new Baretta would cost.

Yes it is ugly, but we have probably 7500 rounds through it and one FTF--it was a bad primer. With a cheap red dot the kids love to ring steel and the adults seem to always shoot it. The second choice is usually the Kel Tec. All the old guys like me pick up the Marlin or the Ruger as they are more "traditional". I am a shooter and would like the Baretta, but money talks and it is expensive. I think you buy what you can afford, shoot what you like and remember what the old cowboy said.
    Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one, but some folks like to share theirs more than I want to see and hear.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Planning on getting the Sub 2000 as we are not allowed to carry here in Canada, but it is considered a non-restricted firearm, so I can pack it around while travelling. I have the CX-storm in .40cal, an excellent gun but not small or light. The High-point carbine would be good, but up here considered a rifle and restricted to 5 rounds, so it's pointless. The folding ability of the Kel-tec is a major advantage over the other designs for me, although I freely admit it's not the most robust gun in the world. Up here the cost is $600 for one (plus 12% tax)

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Thanks for some of the suggestions! I have been doing more research and have found a few more options that look good, such as the Feather RAV 9, very nifty, breaks down, takes glock mags, and looks to be of good quality. It may be though that I just buy a Hi Point 995 and do some modifying and call it good. By all reports the Hi Point Carbine line seems to be of good quality for the low cost.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

My father in law has a HP995 and loves it I have to say it kind of grows on you now I think it's not that bad lookin and it just flat works. my 2 cents

jyo
    I must say, I find my "plain jane" Marlin Camp 9 very reliable and surprisingly accurate---10-12-15 rd mags are readily available and the gun shoots very well. Mine was bought used and already fitted with a cheapie red dot scope and sling---ready to go!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links