Why no .223 pistols that look like, well, pistols?

This is a discussion on Why no .223 pistols that look like, well, pistols? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Every .223 "pistol" I've seen on the market is basically a cut down AR. So why isn't anyone making a revolver or semi-auto handgun chambered ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Why no .223 pistols that look like, well, pistols?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Why no .223 pistols that look like, well, pistols?

Every .223 "pistol" I've seen on the market is basically a cut down AR. So why isn't anyone making a revolver or semi-auto handgun chambered in .223, or some other small rifle cartridge? Too much recoil? Some obscure law or regulation? Too many engineering problems?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Check out the FNH 5.7

The maximum pressure of a 5.56 NATO is about 62,000 PSI. A .40 S&W is 35,000 PSI and is a pretty high pressure handgun round. A .45 ACP is 21,000. PSI. so the 5.56 is nearly double a .40S&W and almost triple the pressure of a .45. Everything would have to built thicker to withstand the extra pressure. I'd imagine the recoil spring would also have to be much heavier, making racking the slide a pain.

Aside from that, if you wanted it to look like a "pistol", the grip would have to be huge. Try grabbing an AR-15 magazine, then imagine even wider and longer to account for the grip itself. You also need to reach the trigger from there, and unless you have really long fingers, most people probably wouldn't be able to reach it.

A revolver would be more doable, but the pressures are still significantly higher for a .223 than even large caliber revolvers, like the .44 Mag, which is about 36,000 PSI.

The least AR-15 looking .223 pistol your going to get is probably the Kel Tec PLR16.
    http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/plr-16/
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    ^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    That was a beautiful explanation phanatik lol.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    That was a beautiful explanation phanatik lol.
    Thanks
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

The .223 would come to grief in a revolver due to it's bottleneck shape and case rim design. Bottleneck cartridges and revolvers don't work well together. Functional difficulties can occur in revolvers chambered for the very mild mannered and very slightly bottlenecked .32-20 cartridge if pressures are crowded at all. With the much more severe bottleneck dimensions of the .223, extraction and set-back difficulties would abound and its high operating pressure could also be hard on forcing cones and top straps in the same way that the .357 Maximum was; a straight-walled cartridge that was ultimately a bust commercially.

Smith & Wesson tried something similar, if less potent, in it's .22 Remington Jet chambered Model 53 of the 1960s but it came to grief. The .223 would be more problematic than the .22 Jet was because it's bigger, horse-ier, and it's shape is even more extreme.

Link to .22 Jet:
    22 Remington Jet
    jem102, HotGuns and thephanatik like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I'm waiting on a 30-06 Derringer.

Yep. A derringer for my favorite rifle cartridge; that'd be great!
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Senior Moderator
    bmcgilvray, hit the nail right on the head.

Tapered cartridges in a conventional type revolver have been tried and didnt work worth a hoot.
    That design is out.

Too many engineering problems?
    Exactly.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm waiting on a 30-06 Derringer.
    That would break your wrist! I fired a Remington 7600 chambered in 30-06 one handed once and it really hurt my wrist. I'm pretty sure a derringer in the same caliber would break it.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    That would break your wrist! I fired a Remington 7600 chambered in 30-06 one handed once and it really hurt my wrist. I'm pretty sure a derringer in the same caliber would break it.
    WHEC724 made the derringer comment in jest ... I hope.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I sorta hate to admit this but once when I was out in the country at our old place and no one was looking I essayed a few shots in the general direction of a target with my Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H Magnum. It was technically do-able, even more than once, but the mesquite tree I was attempting to fell was missed each time and it was rather hard on the shooter.

Not to be done at home, kiddies.

Now what I'd really like is a polymer micro-semi-auto pistol of no more than 15 oz. or so and with a 2-inch barrel, chambered for .30-06 and adapted to the 8-rnd en bloc clip of the M1 rifle. This would make a dandy concealed carry piece.

Only kidding...only kidding!

A 30.06 pistol?......................Wimps!

50bmg hog pistol.jpg

Airborne Combat Engineer: The Thunder .50 BMG handgun

JK JK!!!
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    WHEC724 made the derringer comment in jest ... I hope.
    Yah. I say a lot of stupid stuff, but I was just keeeding there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links