Defensive Carry banner

Barrel Break-In?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Sledge 
#1 ·
I recently got a .357 Sig Storm Lake barrel for my M&P compact. Took her to the range today and shot 70 rounds through her. 50 fmj's and 20 Speer GD. The first mag were the Federal fmj's. 10 rounds through. No problem. Second mag, the first round failed to eject. Kinda surprised me because I've never had a mishap when i shot the stock 40 s&w barrel. Anyway, the rest of the 70 rounds performed flawlessly. I was just wondering if it may have been ammo related, extractor related or maybe the barrel needs to be broken in. Kinda new to the technical aspects of guns so just looking for some insight.

#2 ·
Hard to say without examining the stuck case. Could have been caused by anything, including pilot error - you might have ridden your thumb on the slide at the moment the gun fired.

Shoot a lot more, see if it happens again. Number your mags so you can tell if it's mag-related, if it happens again.

#3 ·
"Anyway, the rest of the 70 rounds performed flawlessly."

I'd say an "out of spec" single cartridge. If it was an overly tight barrel chamber that started crudding up you would have had more follow-up failures to eject.

#8 ·
I had read on one of the Forums about someone getting either a Storm Lake or Lone Wolf, can't remember, but someone had mentioned it felt tight while someone responded it needed to be broken in. Don't have a clue where I saw it so I thought I would just ask.

Hey Sledge, just wondering why you decided to get a .357 sig barrel for your M&P 40c vs. the 9c mm barrel (and mags)? Could you please provide a quantifiable assessment between shooting the .40 S&W and the .357 sig rounds? i.e. felt recoil, accuracy, cost, etc. You've already provided round reliability, i.e. 1 FTE of 80.
Well, I'm kinda weird. And in the Manic phase of this hobby. I already have a 9mm, another 40 s&w and a 45 ACP so I thought I would just get the 357 sig barrel for my M&P instead of buying a whole new gun. Yeah the cost is more but I don't plan on taking this thing to the range anymore than maybe once a month so price of ammo isn't really a factor. Plus the ballistics of the 357 intrigued me. Oh and I can use the same 40 s&w mags with the 357 sig. Yesterday I shot it alongside my Glock 23. Recoil felt about the same. Hitting bullseye from 7 yards wasn't a problem with either. Not that i'm a master marksman. Then I went today and shot it alongside my Kahr CM9. Again recoil felt about the same most likely due to the small size and lighter weight of the CM9.

Let us know how it goes this time 'round.
Shot another 70 rounds and this time it was flawless. Shot both the Federal fmj's and the Speer GD. Funny how the little things in life can excite us so much huh? ;)

#6 ·
Hey Sledge, just wondering why you decided to get a .357 sig barrel for your M&P 40c vs. the 9c mm barrel (and mags)? Could you please provide a quantifiable assessment between shooting the .40 S&W and the .357 sig rounds? i.e. felt recoil, accuracy, cost, etc. You've already provided round reliability, i.e. 1 FTE of 80.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.