Defensive Carry banner

ATF Classifies Chore Boy Pot Scrubber Pads NFA Firearms

4K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  HotGuns 
#1 ·
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Firearms Technology Branch has deemed “Chore Boy copper cleaning pads, along with fiberglass insulation,” a firearm, subject to registration and a $200 transfer tax, an official letter obtained recently by Gun Rights Examiner reveals. The response to an attorney inquiry by John R. Spencer, Chief, Firearms Technology Branch, offers one of the more creatively restrictive assessments since ATF declared a shoestring to be a machinegun.
ATF Classifies Chore Boy Pot Scrubber Pads NFA Firearms | Gun Digest - The World's Foremost Gun Information Authority

#3 ·
Next they will want to register pipe and fittings, after all they may be used to make pipe bombs. Maybe the DEA should check their evidence rooms in case the ATF has been removing some product for their own use.

#4 ·
Sounds like a hoax but, it is the BATF.

#15 ·
From the point of view of the government no law is stupid.
If for example I want to bring you in but you refuse to comply because you do not want to talk? It would be stupid on the part of the government not to have a seldom used law on the books which could be used to force compliance now wouldn't it?
Trust me. We will only use these seemingly stupid laws when absolutely necessary to force your compliance. If you people would cooperate we wouldn't need to invent crimes!

BTW: You do know that the stuff under your kitchen sink is bomb making materials and not cleaning supplies didn't you?

Michael

#13 ·
Well said! I had to put this on my FB page a few minutes ago. I wonder if the ATF also knows what can be made with kitchen matches and iron pipe?

Sad state of affairs and, yet another, waste of tax dollars.

#14 ·
Indeed. They are not declaring those items firearms. They are only saying that you may not use them to
do your own repair of a silencer.

Sort of stupid; but heck---- you are talking Tax Man here. Its about the 200 bucks, not about the
other stuff. They'd tax potatoes if they could figure out how to do it.

#9 ·
To clarify, they are declaring that you cannot replace deteriorated material within an already- registered suppressor without an approved ATF Form.​
That's not the whole story though. Although legally they couldnt do the repair themselves,
all one would have to do is send it back to the factory or any 07/02 for repair and unless they were replacing the serialized part, it wouldn't be subject ot the 200$ Tax.

#10 ·
Retarded, I can replace every part inside the receiver of my AR and no problem; yet somehow this is an issue why? ...nevermind Hotguns provided the answer:
Thats what happens when you appoint tyrants and throw common sense out the window.
Worse for me, DE does not allow them anyway.

#11 ·
So If somebody crams chore boy in a glass tube hereafter called a "crack pipe"under the ATF's ruling would they then be smoking crack thru an Illegal silencer

Reactions: l1a1
#16 ·
The three government agencies I would eliminate are BATFE, BATFE, and... uh...

wait... hang on...

um...

Oh, yeah: BATFE!

#18 ·
Sooooo, people are no longer allowed to repair stuff they boughtt legally....

Wait, what???

#20 ·
Never underestimate the creativity of the tax man. They don't give a hoot about possession of the repair material; they want a second shot (pun not intended) at collecting the tax.

Think of it like this. You buy a car and pay sales tax on it. You bring it in to get it repaired and you pay (in some states) sales tax on the replacement part and on the labor, and maybe on some supposed increased retail value of the vehicle at license plate renewal time. That's what's going on here; just coming up with inventive ways to scrape up a few 200 dollar donations.

Meanwhile, quick, bury that stuff from beneath the sink in your neighbor's yard.

Yeah, GM, I'm speechless too. Dare I admit that I replaced some insulation behind my shower three years ago; and hid a piece of it from prying eyes.

#21 ·
Sooooo, people are no longer allowed to repair stuff they boughtt legally....
Just to clarify...

people that owned a legal suppressor(meaning that they had the tax stamp) never could repair or replace any of it themselves.

It's always been that way. For the archaic designs out there that still use steel wool to stifle the sound, the ATF has added it to its list of prohibited materials so... in the event that you wanted to change out your old,ratty,filthy,burned out steel wool with some bright new shiny stuff, you would be in violation of the law if you did it without paying the 200 fee over. This means that if you were brought up on charges of illegal possession or repair that this is one of the items on the prohibited list, the same list that has a shoelace listed as a "machine gun" because someone used one to make a gun fire full auto.

Yeah...it sucks...but thats the way it is in the land of the Big Feds with the small minds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.